Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainKoloth

You get a lot of these types in DCS too. Unquestionably that game has its bugs and so forth, but you do get this weird vicious subculture where they'll release a switch-for-switch accurate, lovingly crafted AH-64 (for example), and people immediately pop up on the forums saying "I COULDN'T SHOOT NUCLEAR WEAPONS AT B-52s WHILE IN A LEFT BARREL ROLL FIVE SECONDS AFTER BOOTING IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME ALSO IT'S HARD DCS SUCKS 0/10" :shrug: Sigh.... internet.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

That is great Captain K. And accurate as well.  :Applause:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on January 30, 2023, 06:24:45 AMYou get a lot of these types in DCS too. Unquestionably that game has its bugs and so forth, but you do get this weird vicious subculture where they'll release a switch-for-switch accurate, lovingly crafted AH-64 (for example), and people immediately pop up on the forums saying "I COULDN'T SHOOT NUCLEAR WEAPONS AT B-52s WHILE IN A LEFT BARREL ROLL FIVE SECONDS AFTER BOOTING IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME ALSO IT'S HARD DCS SUCKS 0/10" :shrug: Sigh.... internet.
Yeah, you do get these types. But then you actually also have the people who are passionate rivet counters that really care. These are often mistaken for toxic trolls in this day and age, previously they were just grogs ;)
Over the internet I guess it is hard to tell sometimes.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

"Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts should be already playable, stable enough and enjoyable but we will continue polishing, so that we can safely move our development team into new game projects that you will surely like. Here is a brief list of the most important things we plan to offer till Summer 2023:"

Unfortunately, their list is an image (apparently???) instead of text, so I can't copy-paste it. I'll try to summarize.

1.) Synching the battle weather with the strategy weather, and adding more weather plus more sea reactions/forms from the weather. Also, daylight conditions in battle will be introduced to match with map conditions, including night battle possibilities.

2.) Spotting distance improvement and fog of war introduced. (Not to be confused with actual fog in the weather!) Ships will reveal their locations when firing, and allow return-targeting. (Currently a long-distance sniper can strike without being seen.)

3.) New York Class battleship; Atlanta Class cruiser; and C-Class generic cruiser to be added. Plus some updates to others if their main modder in Kiev can get around to it.

4.) Map graphic fixes. Plus looking into a visual 'looping' of the map horizontally, although that probably won't happen without introducing a lot of new bugs and broken game saves. (The map only looks flat, it's actually a globe and already plots that way; but a lot of players want to be able to scroll-loop left to right rather than have to shuffle the map-paper for tracing paths across the Pacific gap.)

5.) Map optimization will continue. It currently works much better than the original small map with only 2 nations, but improvements can still be made.

6.) General UI improvements.

7.) Language localizations.

8.) Bug fixes (at top priority), plus consideration of implementing new features (less of a priority, due to the developers being based in Kiev, for obvious reasons.)

"Thank you for reading and for the continued support. The game will continue to grow and become better with your help. We hope you really enjoy playing Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts. Please continue to share your thoughts and feedback."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Downloaded the above patch earlier this morning...Game Labs has been doing The Lord's work with this game over the last few weeks.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

One thing I would like to see, and would happily pay for in a DLC, would be historical ship designs and pre-built fleets. Not just the basic hull, but the entire design with proper armor, guns etc.

But very happy with the game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^One of the more recent patches includes historical ship hulls like the New York class. Not too much of a stretch to see entire ships included eventually.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Gusington on February 04, 2023, 10:59:16 AMDownloaded the above patch earlier this morning...Game Labs has been doing The Lord's work with this game over the last few weeks.

And that's another thing - you've got all these (I assume) US-based people whining while these guys are making the game uninterrupted IN UKRAINE.

SirAndrewD

I have too many games...

Including this one now...
 :submarine:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CJReich46

I have been trying to understand the scenario in the Naval Academy - A Different Fate.

It's featuring the USS Maine. Except USS Maine is fighting a four Spanish ships, instead of her fate in Havana Harbor.

Here's what I struggle with. The USS Maine - is designed with the two guns on port and starboard. Plus trying to get the speed to outmaneuver the Spanish. I can sink one, but the others get me with a combo of gunfire and torpedoes. 

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

SirAndrewD

Quote from: CJReich46 on February 05, 2023, 10:21:05 PMI have been trying to understand the scenario in the Naval Academy - A Different Fate.

It's featuring the USS Maine. Except USS Maine is fighting a four Spanish ships, instead of her fate in Havana Harbor.

Here's what I struggle with. The USS Maine - is designed with the two guns on port and starboard. Plus trying to get the speed to outmaneuver the Spanish. I can sink one, but the others get me with a combo of gunfire and torpedoes. 

Yeah, I've been having issues with that one as well. 

The gist is to keep the AI at range, but the accuracy of the AI and the starting range of the engagement means I'm taking catastrophic damage sometimes as early as the first salvo. 

Having the same issue with the Destroyer Attack scenario.

Do speed and laying smoke not effect gunnery?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

Speed, yes. Speed effects pitch and roll (and maybe other things as well). You laying smoke, it depends on wind direction.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

SirAndrewD

Quote from: solops on February 06, 2023, 10:47:38 AMSpeed, yes. Speed effects pitch and roll (and maybe other things as well). You laying smoke, it depends on wind direction.

Checked the Steam forums for strategies and it looks like the accuracy for AI and player controlled ships got borked in a recent patch.  Under a lot of conditions AI is getting 100% shot accuracy at times, even if it's not reflected in the stats at the end. 

Knowing that I dropped the numbers/smoke/speed strategy on the Destroyer Attack Scenario and won it with 4 Heavy Destroyers built to survive long enough to attack the transports rather than 12 small fast ones that just got one shotted by the Crusier/Armed transports one by one.

Still can't beat the Maine scenario, but got close by building for pure armor/firepower rather than speed and distance. 

Having little problem with clearing the scenarios where I use heavier ships.