Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

There could be many mods that do all manner of things non-historical in the Steam Workshop.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Axeking240

SF only allows US vs German and Russia vs German (player as either side in these combos). No US vs Russia possible.

Check the manual - it has a lot of detail in the scenario editor section about things that are possible. ;-)

Sir Slash

I hope not. There is no such thing as, 'impossible' on the Steam Workshop.  :axechaser:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Michael Dorosh

It only now occurs to me that release is scheduled for a Tuesday. I suppose that is one way to avoid melting the server down.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2023, 05:34:52 PMI'm playing and running through the tutorials right now. No embargo, so you'll have my initial feedback soon.

Just curious with the release on Tuesday, were you planning on doing any kind of write up prior on your thoughts and/or review?  I saw some of your additional comments but wasn't sure how deep you planned to go.  Either way I plan on purchasing it, unless the asking price ends up shocking me:)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 29, 2023, 08:47:06 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2023, 05:34:52 PMI'm playing and running through the tutorials right now. No embargo, so you'll have my initial feedback soon.

Just curious with the release on Tuesday, were you planning on doing any kind of write up prior on your thoughts and/or review?  I saw some of your additional comments but wasn't sure how deep you planned to go.  Either way I plan on purchasing it, unless the asking price ends up shocking me:)

Yes, but not before release.

To summarize my present thoughts after about 6 in-game hours, I don't think the game is the second coming of Christ, but I'm definitely hooked on it and keep coming back for more. I tend to play it in brief spurts. A scenario here and a scenario there. It has become my go to game when I don't have the time or patience to get into something that requires real preparation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2023, 09:17:56 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 29, 2023, 08:47:06 AM

Yes, but not before release.

To summarize my present thoughts after about 6 in-game hours, I don't think the game is the second coming of Christ, but I'm definitely hooked on it and keep coming back for more. I tend to play it in brief spurts. A scenario here and a scenario there. It has become my go to game when I don't have the time or patience to get into something that requires real preparation.

Thanks, appreciate it.  Definitely something I am interesting trying but I do have caution as to whether it will be something that keeps my interest long term.  Hope so, guess we will see in few days.

Jarhead0331

I'll also comment on what I do not like so far.

1. The unlock system. it wouldn't be so bad if the scenarios weren't so damn difficult.
2. No save system. The game seems to save automatically at the end of each phase I suppose. When you exit a scenario, it will save your progress. However, there is no ability to save manually in order to load a past save in the event of disaster, which is frequent and inevitable. I don't like playing my wargames as if they were "rogue-likes".
3. The impact of luck and chance. I tend to tackle each scenario with the same strategies based on my training and education. I rarely deviate from these accepted tactical stratagems. Sometimes they lead to text-book success and sometimes they lead to disastrous failure...the difference being attributable to chance and  luck of the draw. Sometimes my units break. Sometimes their units break. Sometimes a hero will arise. Sometimes the effect of fire is appreciable. other times it is not. This all has to do with the games roll or calculations I suppose and although I'm certain it's being calculated, unit ability, terrain, position, equipment, etc. doesn't always seem to make a difference where it should.

These are just the major things that have jumped out at me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2023, 09:39:16 AMI'll also comment on what I do not like so far.

1. The unlock system. it wouldn't be so bad if the scenarios weren't so damn difficult.
2. No save system. The game seems to save automatically at the end of each phase I suppose. When you exit a scenario, it will save your progress. However, there is no ability to save manually in order to load a past save in the event of disaster, which is frequent and inevitable. I don't like playing my wargames as if they were "rogue-likes".
3. The impact of luck and chance. I tend to tackle each scenario with the same strategies based on my training and education. I rarely deviate from these accepted tactical stratagems. Sometimes they lead to text-book success and sometimes they lead to disastrous failure...the difference being attributable to chance and  luck of the draw. Sometimes my units break. Sometimes their units break. Sometimes a hero will arise. Sometimes the effect of fire is appreciable. other times it is not. This all has to do with the games roll or calculations I suppose and although I'm certain it's being calculated, unit ability, terrain, position, equipment, etc. doesn't always seem to make a difference where it should.

Thanks for the additional info.

Unlocks - Yep, I hate them in all games, not just what will be included with this one.  I know some folks have said "its for our own good" to learn the system, but why should they care how I learn the system and if I become frustrated?  Don't hide content that I have paid for and might not ever be good enough to ever reach.  Again, not just griping about this game, just hate the whole concept period with all games.  At least make it an "option" to turn on/off unlocks, that way everyone gets to play their own way.

Saves - Yikes, not a big fan of that either.

Again, thanks for the feedback...giving me more to think about before Tuesday.....

acctingman

@JH

Thank you for your assessment of the game. For several reasons you've posted (and my expertise level for these games) I'm going to buy this game when a good sale hits. I hope it's a huge hit for the developer as this is his baby. Looking forward to more reviews from you seasoned vets.

Thomas Davie

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 29, 2023, 09:52:40 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2023, 09:39:16 AMI'll also comment on what I do not like so far.

Thanks for the additional info.

Unlocks - Yep, I hate them in all games, not just what will be included with this one.  I know some folks have said "its for our own good" to learn the system, but why should they care how I learn the system and if I become frustrated?  Don't hide content that I have paid for and might not ever be good enough to ever reach.  Again, not just griping about this game, just hate the whole concept period with all games.  At least make it an "option" to turn on/off unlocks, that way everyone gets to play their own way.

Saves - Yikes, not a big fan of that either.

Again, thanks for the feedback...giving me more to think about before Tuesday.....

The unlocking system? it's holy hell, and for me, unacceptable. I understand and have read comments from those in the developement that it is to present the game in digestible (my choice of words) portions so that you accumulate a playing ability without getting/becoming frustrated.I kinda perceive it as 'programmed instruction' quite similar to the gradual accumulation of playing ability in the board wargame Squad Leader.

Maybe it's just me, but I like learning by making mistakes. And I do not like being forced to learn in a specific manner by qualifying in specific scenarios.

I hope it does extremely well sales wise b/c that makes it more likely that I will get what I want.

Tom

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm holding off until they add British/Commonwealth units to the mix.

Does it bug anyone else that they keep referring to the Soviet Union as Russia?  That puts way more sand up my vagina than it should but it irks me for some reason.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

WOW! No ability to Save whenever you want? That could be a deal-breaker.  :TimeOut: