Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Great news. Any reports of bugs in the game so far?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Geezer

Watched a short Youtube video of the Town Too Far scenario.  Seemed like the US Elite Rangers broke very quickly in some cases.  Looking forward to more opinions here on how it plays.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Michael Dorosh

Downloaded - so strange to have it drop on a workday morning, but that ought to help with the server load I guess.  No issues downloading and installing - it was amazingly quick in fact.  Tried the first tutorial and messed around the map editor. Looking forward to more after work.

Burden of Command now goes to the top of my list of favorite vapor ware. :-)

SlagDog

And here I am stuck at work while all you chumps enjoy the game  :tickedoff:  :hair:

Only 7 more hours until I can jump into the game! Woot!

Enjoy Grogs!

JasonPratt

7 Hours To Die...  :evil:  :RockOn:

Not only looking forward to the game, but to map editor missions, too!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: SlagDog on January 31, 2023, 11:06:59 AMAnd here I am stuck at work while all you chumps enjoy the game  :tickedoff:  :hair:

That ain't stopping me.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Groggy

Are victory conditions based on map objectives and/or exiting a certain amount of units?
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Geezer

Quote from: GroggyGrognard2022 on January 31, 2023, 12:32:08 PMAre victory conditions based on map objectives and/or exiting a certain amount of units?

Don't have the game but I've watched the Town Too Far scenario played twice by different streamers.  The objectives for that one are on the map and there were no victory points for exiting units.  Also, the objectives decreased in value each turn and if they got to 0 before being captured then the Americans lost.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

al_infierno

Saw a negative review on Steam where some guy played the game for half an hour, criticized it for being "too easy," then complained that he lost the first mission because he didn't complete the objectives.   :uglystupid2:

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GroggyGrognard2022 on January 31, 2023, 12:32:08 PMAre victory conditions based on map objectives and/or exiting a certain amount of units?

It is scenario specific. Points can be awarded for seizing and/or holding objectives, eliminating enemy assets and units, or exiting units from the map.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

FINALLY HOME! THREW MONEY AT MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT! I MEAN FROM MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT!!  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Oh hell.

I made up my mind not to engage with this game launch as I was going to pick up the Spellforce game in February but I made the mistake of "just dipping into" this thread to see how things were going and then watching a couple of You Tube  videos on it.....and then checking out the reviews on Steam.

Looks like Spellforce may have to wait a bit.... :undecided:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Sir Slash

What IS this thing you call, 'work'? I caved. Smart move getting it in under $40. That'll help sales a lot.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 31, 2023, 03:55:08 PMWhat IS this thing you call, 'work'? 

It's where I get most of my best gaming in. 

Although, I'll admit this one's gripping.  I almost missed a podcast appearance I had scheduled getting engrossed in this.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Thomas Davie

I picked up the game today after telling myself 'No, not without randomly generated maps, scenarios and/or campaigns.

It installed ok under Windows 11 Arm64 under Parallels under MacOS Monterrey(?). Starts and plays w/o issue. resolution is 2540 x something.

And......I can't play it today b/c of dialysis issues.

Specwise, the laptop I'm using has 16gb ram, large SSD and an M1 cpu.

Tom