Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Do they refer to the German side as "Nazis"? I can't recall, but if not, that may be due to requirements for a proper European market for the game. In which case, it would bother my OCD (I mean OD-C!) to call the Nazi side "Germans" but the Soviet side "Soviets".

Not enough to avoid the game. ;) I understand realpolitik marketing.

(Besides, this is what modding is for, among other things.)

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 29, 2023, 10:49:03 PMWOW! No ability to Save whenever you want? That could be a deal-breaker.  :TimeOut:

....yeah, I could see that being potentially more of a problem for me. I'm still willing to give it a try, but I'd rather have the option than the necessity to play Ironman mode. That combined with the requirement to beat certain missions in a particular order to unlock later kit and missions... well, okay, that's a tutorial-designed campaign structure, I get that, but imagine playing Panzer General or Combat Mission or CommandOps2 (or its predecessors) with a forced Ironman mode to campaign progression unlocking kit and missions.

To be fair, I do usually choose to play those games as a reload-mission on mission failure, but I also like the option to choose otherwise! Having that lack, combined with a forced campaign structure, is.... man, I dunno. I'm still willing to try, but I don't understand the design choice to combo those characteristics.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I may have been too harsh. Looking at videos of the game, it kind of brings back memories of Steel Panthers WWII, the version of the game with individual vehicles and squads. Mostly because of the Turn Phases. And that game could be a real pain to deal with because the AI in large scenarios could take forever to take it's turns. And not being able to save when you wanted to could kill your game. I'm assuming this won't be an issue in this game so, I'm willing to wait on the consensus. Also I'm willing to bet the Modders will find ways around the Unlocks if they are able to legally.  :justice: 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Even though it has mechanics I might not like, still plan on purchasing since have been waiting a long time.  Unless it's price is outside what I would want to reasonably pay for this, and for me that would be $29-$39, above that might be a wait and see:)

Jarhead0331

$34.99, presently discounted 15%. $29.74.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2023, 04:05:39 AM$34.99, presently discounted 15%. $29.74.

Yep and thanks.  Good enough price for me to try it so just bought and downloaded.  Fingers crossed.

Steve Walmsley

Only reading the manual so far, not playing, but it looks like the game auto-saves every turn and you can go back and load any autosave, so it isn't forced ironman - you just can't save mid-turn.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Steve Walmsley on January 31, 2023, 07:05:27 AMOnly reading the manual so far, not playing, but it looks like the game auto-saves every turn and you can go back and load any autosave, so it isn't forced ironman - you just can't save mid-turn.

That's an important distinction if that is in fact the case. It isn't readily apparent to me. I didn't see a "load" or "save" option anywhere, but I'll double check!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Yep, does look like it saves after every turn.  On the screen when the turn ends, "Game Saved" comes up and when you go into the load screen, it does show a save file.  So I guess that isn't too bad from a saving standpoint.

Steve Walmsley

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2023, 07:16:50 AM
Quote from: Steve Walmsley on January 31, 2023, 07:05:27 AMOnly reading the manual so far, not playing, but it looks like the game auto-saves every turn and you can go back and load any autosave, so it isn't forced ironman - you just can't save mid-turn.

That's an important distinction if that is in fact the case. It isn't readily apparent to me. I didn't see a "load" or "save" option anywhere, but I'll double check!

According to the manual, the last auto-saved game is loaded from the main menu using the 'Continue' option and any earlier auto-save can be loaded using the 'Continue Saved Game' (page 11). There is a screenshot of a dialog with multiple turn saves from a single scenario (page 12)

If you press escape mid-scenario to bring up the Pause menu, there should also be a 'Load' option to load previous auto-saves from the current scenario (page 15).

However, I haven't checked in game to see if it matches the manual.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Steve Walmsley on January 31, 2023, 07:32:06 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2023, 07:16:50 AM

According to the manual, the last auto-saved game is loaded from the main menu using the 'Continue' option and any earlier auto-save can be loaded using the 'Continue Saved Game' (page 11). There is a screenshot of a dialog with multiple turn saves from a single scenario (page 12)

If you press escape mid-scenario to bring up the Pause menu, there should also be a 'Load' option to load previous auto-saves from the current scenario (page 15).

However, I haven't checked in game to see if it matches the manual.

Yes, this appears to be the case and match what I see.  Seems to work as described in the manual so this is a good thing.  The only downside I can see is that you can't have different saves of the same scenario in progress in case you wanted to try different things out, which a manual save process would allow.  Likely not a huge deal.

bobarossa

You can always manually copy saves to a different directory as an archive.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bobarossa on January 31, 2023, 08:24:17 AMYou can always manually copy saves to a different directory as an archive.

At least for me, too much manual work to try and keep that all sorted out, haven't even found where they actually keep the save files yet:)  But in any event for me, not a big deal and based on my play style, highly unlikely I will be having the same scenario going at the same time for multiple purposes.

Ian C

Quote from: Steve Walmsley on January 31, 2023, 07:05:27 AMit looks like the game auto-saves every turn and you can go back and load any autosave

That's me in.

JasonPratt

Ah, yay! -- autosave set for a mission is fine with me!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Groggy

I'm definitely buying it with 5 bucks off the price. There's no shame in loin moistening this early in the week.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman