This can't end well...

Started by TheCommandTent, March 11, 2012, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

0kult13

Sad times, seen this the other day and thought the resistance just got a massive recruitment boost, and on top of the koran burning incident. 

Martok

Yeah, I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I read that the other day.  Talk about throwing fuel on the fire. 

I'd sure like to know what the deal was there.  Did this soldier just snap and decide to kill some random Afghans?  Did he have an issue with those specific families?  Not that his motive probably matters much at this point, but I just want to understand *why*. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TheCommandTent

Not to excuse the actions but the 'why' will probably be lost in the coming retaliation and politicking between the two countries.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Quote from: TheCommandTent on March 12, 2012, 07:47:20 AM
Not to excuse the actions but the 'why' will probably be lost in the coming retaliation and politicking between the two countries.

Yeah. There were bad actions taken on both sides here. Nobody wins. Let's hope this comes to a semi-peaceful resolution.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

0kult13

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17339468

"His motives are unclear, but there is speculation that he might have been drunk or had suffered a mental breakdown. Officers are worried that the attack might have been planned"

Best way to disfuse imho is to hand the dude over to Afghan authoritys. Granted it would not end well for him but all the hate would focus on him and disperse somewhat at the public execution. What other outcome would you want in their position.

Windigo

Was this truly random or were the families that were hit of significance? That will tell you if there was planning of any significance.

If the heinous actions of one person can potentially wipe out the progress and good will that billions of dollars and millions of man hours spent on this nation. . . then this tells me that perhaps the time and resources could best be spent elsewhere.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MikeGER

belief it or not, i bet this gross amok incident will have (and already had) less fallout then accidentally burning some worn out religious books
its more then 36h? and nothing happend or got in the news so far  ...while you all know the outcome of that 'book burning incident' some weeks ago.

well, that says a lot about the medieval mindset society overthere: kill some women and children on purpose ... not much of a fuss  ...burn some religious text paperbacks accidently ...they go apeshit in minutes ::)

Windigo

which makes me wonder if we are missing some details on this ...

LongBlade

All I can say is I was struck by the contrast.

In ten years of fighting, one of our guys loses it.

OTOH, random killings are the signature of the bad guys and they do it all the time.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on March 12, 2012, 12:11:33 PM
All I can say is I was struck by the contrast.

In ten years of fighting, one of our guys loses it.

OTOH, random killings are the signature of the bad guys and they do it all the time.

but they freak when one of our planes drops ordinance and accidentally kills civilians... maybe it is a sexist thing? This was mostly women, or maybe its our media screwing up their reporting ala vietnam style coverage again.

LongBlade

I think all it has to do with is propaganda.

We cause a splinter of collateral damage and they know our press will go bananas over it.

When they encourage their families to be around them when they *know* we're headhunting, and then "civilians" get killed when we do catch them, that's nothing but cynicism.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

The Puss

Quote from: MikeGER on March 12, 2012, 12:04:02 PM
belief it or not, i bet this gross amok incident will have (and already had) less fallout then accidentally burning some worn out religious books
its more then 36h? and nothing happend or got in the news so far  ...while you all know the outcome of that 'book burning incident' some weeks ago.
well, that says a lot about the medieval mindset society overthere: kill some women and children on purpose ... not much of a fuss  ...burn some religious text paperbacks accidently ...they go apeshit in minutes ::)

You talk shite, women and children dead and you want a point score feast versus a koran or two. Hope you were seriously pished when you posted that rot and believe me I am holding back from very easy stereo types (self edited)
Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant
Si vis pacem, para bellum