Germany Wants a Drudge Tax

Started by LongBlade, March 13, 2012, 08:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

QuoteThe second item on the coalition's list of priorities released last week was a proposal to slap online news aggregators with a tax. "Online commercial vendors, such as search engines and news aggregators, should in the future pay a fee to publishers for the distribution of press products (such as news articles) on the Internet," the document explains. Any business that links to a news article with a brief excerpt is subject to the scheme.

This action has far more to do with protectionism than protecting intellectual property rights. Websites such as the indispensable Drudge Report, Times 24/7, Real Clear Politics, Digg, Fark and Reddit collect news from sources spread across the Web. These sites are wildly popular because they draw the important stories together in one convenient place, fulfilling a very specific need among a news-hungry public.

(emphasis added)

I'm curious how they intend to enforce this tax, as Drudge isn't located in Germany that I know of.

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/12/germany-proposes-a-drudge-tax/

Curious, by that definition, this post here might qualify for being taxed. :/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

I don't think they could tax posts like that, but it seems they want to go after dedicated news aggregating sites.

Silly tax, what right does Germany have to profit from non-German news aggregation?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert