Campaign Series: Vietnam * Battle of Landing Zone Albany as NVA * 11/17/1965

Started by Crossroads, January 09, 2022, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

It's been a while since a During Action Report, so thought to do one now as we're waiting for Campaign Series: Vietnam 1948-1967 release, scheduled for Jan 20, just a ten days or so off.

I am playing a US vs NVA scenario set in 1965, with me commanding a bunch of seasoned Indochina War band of NVA units. As it happens, for scenario work I have mostly spent my time in writing the Lua Event Engine code for the French Indochina War scenarios by David Galster, after which I expanced my playtesting to Vietnamese Civil War scenarios. This is my first head-to-head PBEM game agains a human US opponent, then.

^ Picture from Wiki Commons

I am hosting my files at Matrix Games Vietnam forum, as I have a quota there, and can link pictures here. This is a Groggie DAR though, so if you have any questions or comments, please join in. Writing DARs can be fun especially with tactics and other suggestions from everyone around  :bd:

Edit: Here's the US During Action Report for LZ Albany by Big Ivan: do have a peek, do not tell me anything though. Like the B-52 carpet bombing missions he might be setting up  :timeout:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

To get started, I took a screenshot of the game and added a few things as how I like to portray the scenario in front of me. We've taken quite an effort to provide options for pretty much everything that is under our control. There's a good chance that if you don't like something as how game defaults are set, there's an option to tweak just that thing out there.

Here's what I did:

• Unit list on the left side of the screen. Default is right, iirc. Can be toggled OFF to have more screen estate for map itself
  • 2D boardgame view with NATO symbols, but with 3D unit images on unit list. Best of both worlds. There's an option for chits with unit images as well, in which case I would have opted for NATO counters on unit list instead. NATO symbols tell the exact unit type, while the unit image shows what it looks like. Good to have both available.
  • Toolbar is the "Static ALL" toolbar that shows each and every icon. With my wide screen monitor, at Normal side, I have all the icons in front of me. I happen to know them quite intimately, so like it that way. There's a new grouped Dynamic Toolbar as well, with icons grouped under Combat, Air, Engineer, etc tabs. There's a colored toolbar as well, with icon groups each with their own (MERDC camo!) colour

For this once, here's a full view of my 21:9 monitor as how it handles the game. Game itself comes with four zoom views per 2D and 3D option: Zoom-in. Normal, Zoom-Out, and Extreme Zoom-Out. If there's a need for even a grander view of the battlefield, the ninth option is the 2D Strategic View, for those extra large maps that there are few here.

Apart from those zoom views, each with their own size for map and unit graphics, the game supports Windows Desktop Scaling, handy if you have a full 4K  monitor and want to have say the font a bit larger.

Here's the screenshot:

[/list]

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Next, to get the battle started. We've tried to make CS Vietnam to match the asymmetric nature of Vietnam War, especially with the use of our Lua based Event Engine, where often it is not the objectives on the map but the battlefield events and how you react to them determining the outcome.

In Vietnam, the situation is not always what it first seems to be, it pays to read the side specific Scenario Briefing with extra care. All hints and tips can be important, in some scenarios it is not the instruction you received, but subtle hints as what may happen that are important.

Here's the NVA briefing for LZ Albany (as visible in the previous screenshot as well):

QuoteBattle of LZ Albany

WARNING: This is currently best played as the SIDE A player unless being played Head to Head. Please restart the scenario as SIDE A.

SITUATION: After the battle of LZ X-Ray, two battalions of Regiment 66 had suffered significant casualties. Your 8th Battalion is to advance down the Ia Drang to rendezvous with the rest of the Regiment before heading to Cambodia for rest and refit.

Friendly Forces: Your primary unit is the 8th Battalion/66th Regiment and elements of the 1st Battalion/33rd Regiment.
Enemy Forces: There is a heavy American presence in the area. Be wary of American gunships operating nearby.

MISSION: Your mission in this scenario is to secure Landing Zone Albany and advance south.

EXECUTION: In the event of running into an American unit, move inside the column, grab them by the belt, and thus avoid casualties from their artillery and air.

Additional reinforcements are not available.

Good luck, Commander!

POLITICAL: You lose Event Points for indirect firing or ordering airstrikes on inhabited hexes (village, city, suburb), whether or not occupied by the enemy.

ADMIN: Supply levels are high at the beginning of the scenario, but expect them to taper off as the situation unfolds. Additional supply is not scheduled.

COMMAND AND CONTROL: Weather is expected to remain consistent during the course of the mission.

Event points come with positive and negative values, certain NO-NOs are better to be observed, like targeting the villages with artillery and mortars. Hearts and Minds, even for NVA!

Apart from that, it seems important I need to secure the LZ Albany area, hit US forces hard (while understanding there's no friendly reserves becoming available). Possibly, there's something in the Southern half of the map, as I am instructed to go there as well.

Then again, I like to rather play with my own bias and enjoy what I do, rather than look for Major Wins. So I think I will just try to hit the US foe with everything I have and worry about other issues later!

Crossroads

That said, what I don't want to do is to feed my units to US in a piecemeal fashion. Step no 1: make a cohesive front with everything close together.

From the French Indochina Wars, I know my strongest weapon is the awesome assault effects my units have. But to do that, I need to see the white of their eyes. So in addition to getting everything together, I will have my Rifle infantry stacked on hexes of their own, with Fire Support weapons right next to them in a stack of theirs. Then, hopefully, as I meet the US forces, I can first suppress them with my weapons teams, then assault them with my rifles.

That's the plan anyway until the first shot is fired!

My HQ is Fixed in a Bunker, I will leave them there. Then, the three battle groups to come together.

Crossroads

Not much perhaps for my NVA phase of Turn 1, where the US moved first. So I am assuming they are coming towards me. Good good, let them come!

Note the Hex Highlights that I prefer instead of the shadow pattern obstructing the view elsewhere. Here the Yellow Hex Highlights in this case show the Visible Hexes from the hex I have activated, while the Orange unit highlight is for the units of same formation. I want to keep them close together, as we are playing with practically all Optional Rules ON, including the Command-Control-Communications one, where 1st platoon is always the Coy HQ and needs to be close to other platoons.

As for other Optional Rules, we are playing with all the new Enhanced Fog Of War, Reporting, Line of Sight optional rules as well, so the Fog of War will be heavy, while my band of guerillas should be really, really difficult to be spotted in the depth of Jungle.

Let us hope so, the scenario introduction seemed to indicate I am against a strong Helicopter Gunship and Close Air Support strikes here. I better move in, hit, disappear then into jungle. Let us see...

NVA Turn 1 ended, sent over, to be continued!

Crossroads

Please feel free to join in with your questions and comments!  O0

Crossroads

Here's the link to Wiki article covering the battle of LZ Albany as part of the fighting around Ia Drang: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ia_Drang#LZ_Albany

7th Cavalry and Custer mentioned, good good. B-52s, yikes. Not good.

Crossroads

LZ Albany - NVA Turn #2 of 12

... and here's the US phase for turn #2 back from Big Ivan. The US are closer than I thought, their recon elements arrived to LZ Albany. As I had forgotten to check my Opportunity Fire parameters, my fixed Recon Platoon fires at them. Too bad, they are revealed now, likely. Or maybe not? Concealment is on my side.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on January 11, 2022, 01:36:01 AM

As I had forgotten to check my Opportunity Fire parameters
Time to that, now. With no unit selected (otherwise this would be a unit specific Op Fire setting), I click at the Set Opportunity Fire icon to reveal this Op Fire Matrix:

• I set the range to "None" with all units regarding their foot infantry. Likely they don't see me as they come adjacent to one of my units. Let us keep it that way.
  • Also, set the vs-Helicopters Op Fire to Medium Range for my AA and AT (recoilless rifle) assets. Hopefully to put some fear to their gunships at least.

Crossroads

And this is it pretty much for my Turn #2. It always feels like maneuvering one's forces to positions you want takes too long, and that I just should go at them. But, the idea was not to arrive to contact in a piecemeal fashion, but as one huge NVA human wave. Let us see how that plays out. At least two more turns before I have my units as I want them.

As a final touch, to showcase some new functionality, I set my revealed(?) Recon platoon to "Defend Weak". Hopefully, that way, the first shots it receives it quickly retreats to jungle...

That said, over to John for his US phase for Turn #3...

Crossroads

Turn 3 of 12

Quote from: Crossroads on January 11, 2022, 01:41:59 AM

As a final touch, to showcase some new functionality, I set my revealed(?) Recon platoon to "Defend Weak". Hopefully, that way, the first shots it receives it quickly retreats to jungle...

Turn received, and no luck for my Recon section, as there's more US units much further towards West as I was expecting!

Hmm, I am still like two turns before I have maneuvered for an all-out mass assault. Hopefully they won't be able to run too many airlifts with reinforcements to this LZ hex there. We are playing with Historical Landing Zones optional rule on, so landing is possible only in historical LZs in the map.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on January 13, 2022, 08:17:11 AM

Hmm, I am still like two turns before I have maneuvered for an all-out mass assault.
Some harrassing action is called for though! Eye for an eye, Recon section for a Recon section!

I set my two Rifle platoons to assault the isolated section there, with selecting them both, and moving them (or the cursor, in this case, as the hex is occupied by enemy) into the hex I want to attack. Assault Dialog is not too helpful with all possible Fog Of War features turned on, which the purpose of having turned them all on in first place!

Resolving the attack with the little Hand Grenade icon with an Exclamation mark, I see my two platoons easily overtaking the recon unit there.

Edit: Added a little snippet from the Unit List where, if you have a stack of many units, you can see which units are assaulting and who's not by the little Assault icon there. Note the lower unit has the Radio icon, indicating that's your 1st Platoon which also serves as the Company HQ unit for the game, if Command-and-Control Optional rule is on. The actual HQ units begin at Battalion level.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on January 13, 2022, 08:17:11 AM

Hmm, I am still like two turns before I have maneuvered for an all-out mass assault. Hopefully they won't be able to run too many airlifts with reinforcements to this LZ hex there

Here's the end of play for the NVA phase for Turn #3. Note that since NVA can move further in Jungle terrain than US I take advantage of that and move my two platoons out of Line Of Sight to the adjacent US platoons that I know from there, from the replay.

Meanwhile, double timing to have everyone closer to action. An all-out assault maybe in two turns?

Finally, a look at the Victory Dialog. With CS: Vietnam, it pays to keep a close eye on Event Points tally. Should you notice a sudden uptick on enemy Event Points, there's certainly something going on that you are supposed to prevent from happening!

So far so good. Sending the file over to Big Ivan with my favourite Asterix quote of "Ain't nobody here in the forest but us squirrels!".

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Crossroads

Quote from: Boggit on January 13, 2022, 08:35:26 AM
Really enjoying this! O0
Thanks @Boggit! Things are about to turn ugly I am sure. For which side though...