Main Menu

Thunder and FRIDAY

Started by Tripoli, December 08, 2023, 08:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 03:28:25 PM^Thanks, I may pick it up later today now.

Good choice.  Gates of Hell is very solid.   

For me the weekend will be heavily invested in Rogue Trader and the Enlisted Merge.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on December 08, 2023, 03:46:53 PMI'm giving Steam and Iron a run through tonight.

Being one of the relatively few members of the "Navy Mafia" on Grogheads, I'm curious as to what you think of it. :grin:
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Dammit Carl!

Eh, it's the holiday season so it's off to give Wargaming my attention for the month in order to suck up whatever crap I can for my Wot and WoWs accounts and simultaneously show just how much shit I am in both games but I don't mind; still play so still enjoy the things despite it all right?

The slide between Thanksgiving and Christmas is getting shorter and faster.  Egad.

All the best, folks.

Old TImer

Quote from: Toonces on December 08, 2023, 03:46:53 PMI'm giving Steam and Iron a run through tonight.

Here's a link for some additional scenarios.  I think I have even more if you want them.
I'll be interested in your impressions.  Big fan of the age of steam and this game is
the best so far on the subject.  Did you get the campaign game as well?

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/30/sai-scenarios-thread

Toonces

I got the version with the campaign, yes.  I think it came bundled.  Hard to pass for $10.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Vox

Re: SAI : Great War and Russo.  I like their historically based experience and the player's operational control of campaigns.

W8taminute

Quote from: Vox on December 13, 2023, 08:22:16 AMRe: SAI : Great War and Russo.  I like their historically based experience and the player's operational control of campaigns.

Forgive me for asking but what is "SAI: Great War and Russo"?

I too enjoy operational control of campaigns in games.  :cool:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

'Steam and Iron' - Great War and Russo Japanese War scenarios

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Oh I see.  Thanks.  I never played those games.  Now I'll have to check them out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tripoli

Quote from: W8taminute on December 13, 2023, 01:08:42 PMOh I see.  Thanks.  I never played those games.  Now I'll have to check them out.

If you want to see an example of "Steam and Iron Great War at Sea" (https://www.navalwarfare.net/steam&iron.html), it is the game (specifically, the "Steam and Iron Campaign Expansion") I used in this AAR https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16935.0
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Vox

To clarify,

STEAM & IRON: THE GREAT WAR AT SEA
STEAM & IRON: RUSSO-JAPANESE WAR

Both are available as digital downloads from NWS for $10 each. This price includes each of their respective campaign expansions.
The current updated store link:
https://nws-software.com/products/steam-and-iron-complete

I find both of these games comprehensive, detailed,  groggy as hell. For more info ,  Tripoli 's AAR is very good and a Armchair General review by Jim Cobb gave a good overview and convinced me.   In.contrast to "Rule the Waves" also by NWS , these games emphasize actual history and  involvement of the player in the operational planning during campaigns.