Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

FarAway Sooner

I agree with you on both the sentence count and Putin's motivation.   :)

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 05, 2022, 09:51:26 PM
The effort may have to be generational and I don't see the West staying interested that long.

this is why there have been so many large aid packages getting passed now.  only a fraction has actually been spent and the overall sum will be available for a while.  hopefully long enough to last through our short attention span.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, some hearts break:

QuoteModel who joined Ukraine army as 'elite sniper' is killed in a Russian air strike

An elite sniper and former model has been killed in a Russian airstrike in Ukraine. Thalita do Valle, 39, died while fighting in the city of Kharkiv on June 30.

She had joined the war effort alongside former Brazilian Army soldier Douglas Burigo. Douglas, 40, also died in last week's airstrike, reportedly after he went into a bunker to try find Thalita.

The pair had travelled from Brazil to support Ukrainian forces. Thalita had previous experience in warzones, and had fought against the Islamic State in Iraq.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Beware! The Second Strategic Echelon is mobilizing! ......sort of!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-prisoners-offered-freedom-if-they-join-fight-against-ukraine-report/ar-AAZdlec?ocid=msedgntphdr&cvid=a5f56d15d44f473c8c1019d453ec1fa7

Well, that's enough for a "Black Platoon" I guess...?

But hey, the pay is good at 200,000 rubles for six month's service with a German-named merc group that the Kremlin denies even exists and besides they definitely don't use them!

Quote200 thousand rubles ($3,446)

...oh.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 06, 2022, 06:38:34 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 05, 2022, 09:51:26 PM
The effort may have to be generational and I don't see the West staying interested that long.

this is why there have been so many large aid packages getting passed now.  only a fraction has actually been spent and the overall sum will be available for a while.  hopefully long enough to last through our short attention span.

Since the West can afford to massively out-spend Russia and will need to defeat Russia to get things back to normal (Ukrainian grain, Russian oil, gas and so on), the West actually has no other
rational choice except to prepare to massively out-spend and eventually defeat Russia.  Moreover, despite taking some ground in the Donbas and declaring victory (rather anticlimatically), things
overall are not going that well for Russia -- they have lost Snake Island, nothing is happening in Moldova, Kalingrad is blockaded, as are the Straits out of the Black Sea, Finland is joining NATO, Khazakstan is not offering any support, the Rubble went up because Russia isn't importing much these days and the Ukrainians are getting more and more weapons.

W8taminute

I'm telling you this Ukraine thing is just a distraction.

I'm not going to post the article I just read but go ahead and Google "Iran China Russia military exercise latin america".

We really need to be paying attention to what's going on in our backyard.  Is it a coincidence that we're draining dollars and oil from our national reserves at an unprecedented rate?

I know I must sound crazy but I have to sound the alarm even if I am wrong.  I'll take whatever abuse you want to throw at me but my conscience is clear. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Massively outspending the Russians sounds good in print but, how massively? Considering America will very likely be in an official Recession in another couple of weeks, I'm for spending all that money we've ALREADY allocated first. Then we can talk about the next massive spend. Let's make sure it's going where, and to who, it's supposed to before throwing more money at a bottomless hole.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

well thats the point Slash.  the money is already allocated so even if the gop takes the mid terms and stops aid, theres already enough there for a while.  its also worth noting that theres lots of money thats going directly into replenishing our stockpiles with brand new kit.  the stuff weve been giving the Ukraine comes from our oldest stocks.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

as to W8s point Ill just mention that the US is more then capable of dealing with the world as it is now and the near future.

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Old news, but WSJ has a nice explanatory video on the Russian tank "jack-in-the-box" turret pop-off effect.

If you haven't had the chance to be read-in on the subject elsewhere, this is a good place to start:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-russian-tanks-are-exploding-in-ukraine/vi-AAZfT6J?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5cb36de8ca1a4df7bbcfbae698826889
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

I can see it makes it hard to repair if there are secondary explosions but does anyone know the chances of crew survival after a penetration if there aren't secondaries?

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on July 06, 2022, 10:05:11 AM
I'm telling you this Ukraine thing is just a distraction.

I'm not going to post the article I just read but go ahead and Google "Iran China Russia military exercise latin america".

We really need to be paying attention to what's going on in our backyard.  Is it a coincidence that we're draining dollars and oil from our national reserves at an unprecedented rate?

I know I must sound crazy but I have to sound the alarm even if I am wrong.  I'll take whatever abuse you want to throw at me but my conscience is clear.

I think you should start an "Iran, China and Russia" in Latin America topic...I think it is going to be a growing thing.

But personally, I am not too worried about it. Abraham Lincoln's observation has aged well: "All the armies of Europe and Asia...could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years."

The reality is that if China and Russian hold a sniper competition in Honduras, its small stuff...a news distraction... What is real!!! We have RIMPAC!!!! Without China!!!! Most of the Pacific Rim together...except China!!!  That is what's real!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/watch-world-s-largest-naval-exercise-led-by-u-s-without-china/vi-AAZi2uZ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d0677427602b473593163d9d3922cacc
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

You are right Tank. Lincoln's words echo through our history. The rest of that quote read, "If destruction is our lot then WE are its' authors. As a Free Nation, we shall either live forever or die by suicide". As pertinent today as when it was spoken. 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.