Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The KSA has recently made technological breakthroughs that are paving the way for a bright future in space.  With these new technologies, we will one day see Kerbals living in space and on distant planets.

The first step in realizing this vision is to map the stars and known worlds.  Our first small advance towards reaching this goal has been the start of a successful mapping operation of both our home world, Kerbin, and the orbiting Mun.  The KSA successfuly designed, launched and placed into orbit, satellites over Kerbin and the Mun.  At this moment, the satellites, known as the Geo Sat III, are mapping these two planetoids.  Images beamed back from the satellites have been declassified and have been released publicly for the first time below.  You are all witnesses.

Kerbin based tracking stations chart the orbits of both Geo Stats

A close view of the Geo Sat in Kerbin orbit

A close view of the Geo Sat in Munar orbit

A breath-taking view of the Geo Sat orbiting the darkside of the Mun

One more look at the Mun's barren and scarred surface

The Munar Geo Sat transmitting surface data gathered from the KSA Doplar Mark IV-3659 satellite array

The Kerbin Geo Sat showing our world in all its glory

Surface data obtained for Kerbin

The Geo Sat is a rugged and simple design; but it is effective.  Craig Kerman, lead scientist on the Geo Sat team said, "The Geo Sat operation has been a striking success.  But we know it is just the beginning.  We are learning from our mistakes, and are glad that only 246 Kermin astronauts had to lose their lives before we figured out that we could send these things up there unmanned.  Really, it could have been much worse."

Dr. Kerman noted that the KSA is already testing new, more advanced satellite designs, and is already planning manned missions to the surface of Kerbin and the Mun. Dr. Kerman noted, "while we are already living on the surface of Kerbin, the KSA still wishes to send manned missions to the surface of Kerbin." When asked why, Dr. Kerman responded..."Because we can."
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM
We are learning from our mistakes, and are glad that only 246 Kermin astronauts had to lose their lives before we figured out that we could send these things up their unmanned.  Really, it could have been much worse."

LOL! Sounds like my frog "space men" program from my model rocket days in my youth.....

All this is in the full verson eh? Guess I'll have to pony up for it finally.

son_of_montfort

I have yet to get my Kerbals into orbit. Mostly, I get them embedded in the ground.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

steve58

Nope, but it looks like they're thinking about it.  Its still in development, but you can buy it directly from them...(Squad).  Price is currently $18 for ver 0.17.  If I remember correctly, their pricing model is that the closer they get to an actual release, the higher the price will be. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on September 25, 2012, 08:51:50 AM

All this is in the full verson eh? Guess I'll have to pony up for it finally.

orbital ops are in the full version, but I am using many mods, including:  ISA Mapmod, CORE Anvil, KW Rocketry, Mechjeb, and many many others.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Silent Disapproval Robot

Did they get the joystick issues sorted out?  I couldn't get my Sidewinder to work properly in the free 0.13 version.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 25, 2012, 11:26:51 AM
Did they get the joystick issues sorted out?  I couldn't get my Sidewinder to work properly in the free 0.13 version.

Not sure. I use the keyboard and mouse exclusively for piloting.  However, i also use mechjeb, which does most of the flying for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 25, 2012, 10:13:56 AM

It is still in Beta, but very playable IMHO.

In my opinion, this is the understatement of the century.  What this game simulation has achieved already is staggering, and with modifications, the possibilities are limitless.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jack Nastyface

great post and great game.  My 'puter with a 3D card crashed a couple of months back, and I miss playing KSP probably more than any other game I had (well...maybe not as much as Red Orchestra).

I was playing the "pre-Mun" version and loved building good and bad rockets.  Why can't more games be like this?
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Nefaro

Looks pretty cool.  I'm still on the fence for awhile, mostly because of what I perceive to be a large time investment in learning how to succeed with it, but I'll buckle and get it some day.

Staggerwing

Buckle and get it now because the price will keep going up. Buy now and you're locked in to future upgrades.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 25, 2012, 06:36:33 PM
Buckle and get it now because the price will keep going up. Buy now and you're locked in to future upgrades.

^this
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)