Main Menu

Master of Orion IV

Started by Anguille, February 18, 2016, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Nuf said....

Barthheart

From Steam page about Early Access:

QuoteWill the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
"No, pricing will remain consistent during Early Access and after. There might be times where we participate in Steam sales, but the base price of the Collector's Edition will remain at $49.99. Pricing and availability for the Standard Edition will be shared at a later date."

Seems a bit steep to pay that much to be a beta tester.... but I'm looking at that from being an original MOO player. Maybe younger never played before types will buy in. I'll certainly pick this up on a sale just for the nostalgia value.

Anguille

I expect this EA to be very stable already....they seem to have invested so much in the game already. Like you, i am one of the old MOO player but will get it next week. I don't like the concept of starlanes, especially for a MOO game. I have hopes to have fun with it.

FarAway Sooner

That is an impressive play bill of voice actors.  It's almost a who's who of sci-fi voices.  All they're missing is Patrick Stewart!

I've read in other places that setting a high price tag on participation in an Alpha or a Beta is not a commercial play, but an effort to put a quality filter on the testers themselves.  Nothing sucks more than getting 50,000 voices in a beta test where only 1,000 of them will play enough to really invest in the game and provide seasoned feedback.

I'm not sure what I think about that, but it's not an uncommon rationale.

RedArgo

That is an amazing voice cast and the presentation looks blows away most of the recent space 4x games.  Now if only the gameplay is good and AI competent.

Barthheart

Quote from: RedArgo on February 18, 2016, 10:13:54 AM
That is an amazing voice cast and the presentation looks blows away most of the recent space 4x games.  Now if only the gameplay is good and AI competent.

Agree that the voice and presentation are great.

Do we expect the gameplay to be any different than the original MOO?

The old AI "seemed" OK, my recollection blurred by time and age, but I'm willing to bet there should be better AI routines now-a-days. Plus there's not much limitation on programming space as back then. The disk space req. for this new game is 15 GB!  :o Must be mostly the fancy voice acting and graphics but one can hope some of that space it used for the AI....

Barthheart

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 18, 2016, 10:04:44 AM
I've read in other places that setting a high price tag on participation in an Alpha or a Beta is not a commercial play, but an effort to put a quality filter on the testers themselves.  Nothing sucks more than getting 50,000 voices in a beta test where only 1,000 of them will play enough to really invest in the game and provide seasoned feedback.

I'm not sure what I think about that, but it's not an uncommon rationale.

Yeah I can see that as a valid method. I'd really like to get it but it would need to play substantially different/better than it did 20+ years ago for me to pony up that kind of cash.... but it might catch me at a weak point in the day and I'll end up buying it anyway...  :idiot2:

Anguille

As i said, I'll get it next friday and will make a short report after a couple of hours of gameplay.

Barthheart

Quote from: Anguille on February 18, 2016, 10:37:33 AM
As i said, I'll get it next friday and will make a short report after a couple of hours of gameplay.

O0

bbmike

Must...wait...to...hear...from...Anguille.......  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Anguille

Quote from: bbmike on February 18, 2016, 02:35:34 PM
Must...wait...to...hear...from...Anguille.......  :D
Lol...pressure is getting high!

Martok

While the voice cast is undeniably...stellar (ugh, I can't seem to avoid making the pun), I'm still not seeing anything about the MOO reboot that makes it stand out at all.  It's just about the most generic-looking space 4x title I've seen in a long time; the only thing "unique" about it is its pedigree. 

That being said, if gameplay, mechanics, AI, and -- most importantly -- atmosphere & immersion are all solid, I'll probably end up getting this eventually.  I can forgive a degree of blandness and lack of of distinctiveness if it's still fun and well put-together. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I got the MOO 1 & 2 pack on GOG some time ago but have yet to play it...though I did play both a lot back in the day.

Huw the Poo

There's a dearth of this kind of game on Linux so I'll almost certainly buy it.  And I will play it until Stellaris comes out. :)

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on February 18, 2016, 03:29:18 PM
It's just about the most generic-looking space 4x title I've seen in a long time; the only thing "unique" about it is its pedigree. 
I agree. I don't see anything innovative in this game which is too bad because MOO3 was extremely innovative (even if the implementation wasn't a big success). However it looks nice and very polished but most of all, it's got a big advantage....it's going to be released next week. O0