Main Menu

Master of Orion IV

Started by Anguille, February 18, 2016, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I think MOO IV is a great game. I posted incorrectly in a thread for a different game that this is the only 4x game I have EVER played to completion.

Given my experience of other 4x games, I'd probably say this was a bit on the lighter side, but I enjoyed my first play through and hope to get back to it again - see what's new.
Alba gu' brath

Wburn

I have MOO4 it's a good game but I still find Endless Space my favorite, just seems more polished and a little bit more mature. MOO4 with that space news segment makes me crazy. They're reporting on races I've never met or seen and it's just goofy in it's display.

tgb

I thought there was an option to turn GNN off.

Wburn

Anguille

Now that the game is released, i will make a short review.

What i don't like

I am not a fan of starlanes and even more, i think they are a huge break from the Lore of the original games. I didn't like them in MOO3 either. However, i think they work and are well implemented. I think however that it slows down the gameplay a lot compared to the orginal games. Even with Stargates, it takes forever if you have a planet producing ships before they can get to the borders. If you plan accordingly, it's ok.

Management of colonies is fairly easy at the beginning but as the auto-build is useless, you have to micro your colonies mid to late game which is something i don't like either (especially compared to the original game). Can't really recommend to play on maps that are too large.

Espionnage is another aspect with too much micromanegement and little results. They are working on a new version so we'll see.

What i like

The User Interface is really great and easy to use. There ara a lot of tooltips and symbols.

Also the game is very easy to get into. It's not too complex but still allows for a good game.

Even if they are not perfect, i like the battles and the ships.

The AI is decent and has improved a lot since EA1. Diplomacy is ok even if it's still not as good as in MOO1 (my personal opinion).

The game has a huge lot of options going from pirates, minor races (back soon), victory conditions (in my current game, i have only diplomatic, conquest and tech victories) and so on. This is one of the biggest thing for me.

I like the races and imho, they really bring back the MOO feeling.

Verdict

i really enjoy the game and the "one-more-turn" is there for me. I have just started a game with the Bulrathis with the last update on hard and it's fun. I recommend the game and it's a good TBS game for new and old gamers.

Anguille

DLC is coming with 3 new races on the 1st of December....

Anguille

New info...sounds nice.

Master of Orion DLC Next Month

[Nov 18, 2016, 10:23 am ET] - Post a Comment

WG Labs and NGD Studios announce a December 1st release date for Revenge of Antares. This is a new DLC pack for Master of Orion that expands the 4X space strategy game with new independent civilizations, playable races, and three new playable races to the gameplay mix. This premium DLC will be accompanied by a free expansion with additional new content. The Master of Orion website is home to details on this, and here's word:
Some more info...

The battle to conquer Orion is set to become even more challenging. On December 1, Master of Orion's anticipated "Revenge of Antares" DLC will become available, giving access to independent civilizations, a new victory condition and more. The expansion also introduces three new playable races to the massive galaxy. Arriving in the DLC expansions are the Trilarians, Gnolam, and Elerians—formidable aliens that will open up new paths to victory as commanders strive for dominance of the galaxy.

"We're excited to introduce new content for players of Master of Orion," said Jacob Beucler, Publishing Product Director for Master of Orion. "They will find themselves in a new environment, filled with new challengers, adventures and enemies to face off with or forge an alliance with. This content will add new dimensions to the game's already robust lore."

Three of the newly available races (Trilarian, Gnolam and Elerian) can be purchased in a single bundle. With the addition of these playable races, the possibilities and strategy multiplies as players forge their galactic destiny in even more unique ways.

Additionally, as a response to the dedicated Master of Orion player community, a free expansion will also be offered to all players. This expansion deepens the gameplay by allowing them the ability to recruit new leaders to their side, battle the fourth new, non-playable race, the Antarans, and interact with independent civilizations.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/176414/master-of-orion-dlc-next-month

Shelldrake

Latest patch also introduced the ability to use mods, which should really extend the life of the game.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

mikeck

Quote from: Shelldrake on November 18, 2016, 03:10:36 PM
Latest patch also introduced the ability to use mods, which should really extend the life of the game.

I thought Steam workshop had been up and running for awhile now with MoO4? No?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on November 18, 2016, 10:35:56 AM
Additionally, as a response to the dedicated Master of Orion player community, a free expansion will also be offered to all players. This expansion deepens the gameplay by allowing them the ability to recruit new leaders to their side, battle the fourth new, non-playable race, the Antarans, and interact with independent civilizations.
While the DLC does sound potentially pretty good, I'm honestly more interested in this. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

The new races aren't really blowing my skirt up...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2016, 07:45:08 PM

And we all much appreciate that!   :hide:
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Nefaro

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2016, 07:45:08 PM
At least these guys look nasty... :D

Martok

Who the F??  Are those the Antarans? 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces