Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam

Started by steve58, May 30, 2012, 09:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Not this time. I'll get CKII once this expansion is released. I just hope it is not as hard for me to grasp as the EU series was.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on May 31, 2012, 12:59:32 PM
^Not this time. I'll get CKII once this expansion is released. I just hope it is not as hard for me to grasp as the EU series was.

So many jokes to be made about this statement.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on May 31, 2012, 05:37:52 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 31, 2012, 12:59:32 PM

So many jokes to be made about this statement.

I better not make them, or he'll accuse me of calling him a moron again.  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

I could never get into EU...I just could not get into it.

What?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on May 31, 2012, 08:56:00 PM
I could never get into EU...I just could not get into it.

What?

Could you get into Victoria? *wink wink* *nudge nudge*
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

jcrohio

I know this is a little off topic but would appreciate the help. Like a previous poster I too bought the gamersgate version not knowing I was getting the Steam version. Now that I am stuck with it (and a steam account I really did not want) I would like to know if I can put a copy of Crusader King II on my laptop.  I have looked through the steam forums but am not sure I have found a post that would help me

Thanks
Jack

TheCommandTent

Quote from: jcrohio on June 01, 2012, 06:52:19 AM
I know this is a little off topic but would appreciate the help. Like a previous poster I too bought the gamersgate version not knowing I was getting the Steam version. Now that I am stuck with it (and a steam account I really did not want) I would like to know if I can put a copy of Crusader King II on my laptop.  I have looked through the steam forums but am not sure I have found a post that would help me

Thanks
Jack

You should be able to install STEAM on your laptop and then go to your games library in STEAM and re-download CKII
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 01, 2012, 07:15:26 AM

Thanks
Jack

You should be able to install STEAM on your laptop and then go to your games library in STEAM and re-download CKII

+1

Steam has pros and cons, but one of the big advantages is that you can log into your account and play any game from it on any computer.

Make sure you *never* share that account, as Steam takes a very dim view of people trying to "share" games on the same account and they will ban you for life if they think you're pirating.

That said, so long as you only have one person logged into your Steam account, you can install a game on as many machines as you'd like (I think - I've never heard of a limit). The catch is you can only play one game at a time.

As SoM notes, the way to do this is to install the Steam app on the machine(s) you want to game on, then log in when you want to play.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I would love to play Victoria but the EU series tainted me on these games for the most part. I am hoping that CK II is more accessible and feels a bit more substantial than opening/closing 1000 pop up windows.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on June 01, 2012, 09:35:48 AM
I would love to play Victoria but the EU series tainted me on these games for the most part. I am hoping that CK II is more accessible and feels a bit more substantial than opening/closing 1000 pop up windows.

I was mostly making a crude innuendo joke regarding Vicky.

But to the more serious topic of pop up windows, CKII has largely removed that by having this little mailbox thing to the right where all your news goes. You can open it an read them when you want and you can customize as to what level of news is worthy of your attention. It has an important news slot and a general news slot - both customizable.

This is both good and bad, it keeps those annoying pop ups away but you can miss key things, like the assassination of your heir, if you don't keep track of it.

You do get event pop ups, and quite a few, but those are fun and allow you to "choose your own adventure." Way better than the "A Merchant from Wallachia is Competing in your Market" messages that used to spam constantly.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Thanks
Jack

I'm pretty sure, in the specific case of CKII, that you can copy the game files directly elsewhere and run the game using the "ck2_RD" executable. 

I've had to do that before, in testing, so unless Paradox added in-game stuff that links into Steam's program lately you should be able to run it without Steam going in the background. 

jcrohio

Thanks for all the replies - I will install steam on my laptop and go from there

Jack

Nefaro

I've confirmed that my CK2 will run without Steam going in the background, if you run the CK2_RD.exe. 

So perhaps you might copy the game install over to a flash drive or DVD and copy back over to the laptop & see if it works?

son_of_montfort

Any of you that don't have CKII yet, you should grab it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Interactive-41051dox-Package1-Plentiful/dp/B0085CD7BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338565553&sr=8-1

$12 for all those Paradox titles, pretty good deal! The sale is ending soon, however.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

tgb

Other than being able to play as a Muslim nation, which doesn't particularly interest me, is the expansion adding anything that's not going to be in the free patch?