Main Menu

Bitcoin Mining

Started by Staggerwing, June 04, 2016, 03:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

What other way is there?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2018, 03:28:01 PM
What other way is there?
with Irish-cream liquor, taken orally
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

The Wall St. Journal said there is a shortage of high end graphics cards for gamers because bitcoin miners are buying them up.

Ouch!

bbmike

Can I use my metal detector for this?  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Windigo

Quote from: bbmike on February 12, 2018, 06:31:44 AM
Can I use my metal detector for this?  :-"

I will buy every Pascal architecture video card you find with it... that's it working condition that is.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2018, 03:28:01 PM
What other way is there?

well you take it like a Gus...

oh wait.....   :o
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jamey

Don't even know. Does it make sence to mine nowadays? There is main game on exchanges. It quite hard to compete with mining plants. I personally prefer  Paxful exchange https://bitcoinbestbuy.com/exchanges/guide-paxful-exchange/ It not so popular but it attracts me by flexible conditions.

Con

I was interested to hear from our resident bitcoin miners if they are still in it or if they got out and if so did they make money or lose their shirt

Just interested since I have been following the economics and history of bitcoin and would like to hear what some of the miners who are living it feel like where it is going.

Prompted by this article today
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/bitcoin-bloodbath-nears-dot-com-024507352.html

Pete Dero

https://www.pcgamer.com/there-might-be-a-big-drop-in-graphics-card-prices-next-month/

Digitimes claims to have heard from sources within the upstream supply chain that suppliers are planning to axe graphics card pricing to clear out existing inventories.

The other reason is because cryptocurrency mining has cooled. Larger operations are still out there cranking out calculations, but in general it's less profitable to mine cryptocurrencies at the moment, pushing out medium and smaller size mining firms, and individuals looking to make an easy buck. This in turn as has weakened the demand for graphics cards.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

https://apnews.com/e98ad152f12e4894b8208d5d19aaa4ca

QuoteIs the web browser on your phone slower than usual? It could be mining bitcoin for criminals.

As the popularity of virtual currencies has grown, hackers are focusing on a new type of heist: putting malicious software on peoples' handsets, TVs and smart fridges that makes them mine for digital money.

So-called "crypto-jacking" attacks have become a growing problem in the cybersecurity industry, affecting both consumers and organizations. Depending on the severity of the attack, victims may notice only a slight drop in processing power, often not enough for them to think it's a hacking attack. But that can add up to a lot of processing power over a period of months or if, say, a business's entire network of computers is affected.

"We saw organizations whose monthly electricity bill was increased by hundreds of thousands of dollars," said Maya Horowitz, Threat Intelligence Group Manager for Checkpoint, a cybersecurity company.

Hackers try to use victims' processing power because that is what's needed to create — or "mine" — virtual currencies. In virtual currency mining, computers are used to make the complex calculations that verify a running ledger of all the transactions in virtual currencies around the world.

Crypto-jacking is not done only by installing malicious software. It can also be done through a web browser. The victim visits a site, which latches onto the victim's computer processing power to mine digital currencies as long as they are on the site. When the victim switches, the mining ends. Some websites, including Salon.com, have tried to do it legitimately and been transparent about it. For three months this year, Salon.com removed ads from its sites in exchange for users allowing them to mine virtual currencies.

Industry experts first noted crypto-jacking as a threat in 2017, when virtual currency prices were skyrocketing to record highs.

The price of bitcoin, the most widely known virtual currency, jumped six-fold from September to almost $20,000 in December before falling back down to under $10,000.

The number of crypto-jacking cases soared from 146,704 worldwide in September to 22.4 million in December, according to anti-virus developer Avast. It has only continued to increase, to 93 million in May, it says.

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Prices have dropped across the board for mining lately, but many miners are doing the HODL bit (Holding On (to their mined coins)for Dear Life) and waiting for prices to go up.

Profitable large scale mining is very dependent on cheap electricity, Europe doesn't have it. There a lot of smaller farms in the EU/Eastern Europe shutting off.

Media is portraying this as a huge crash, but prices are still better than they were 1.5 years ago.

Those who bought over priced GPUs during the big price bubble with dreams of big bucks are looking at 2-3 years to get a return on their cards.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

The fucking Matrix is here...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18