Main Menu

Bitcoin Mining

Started by Staggerwing, June 04, 2016, 03:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Whats the latest for the crypto miners - still in the game?

Con

Windigo

Quote from: Con on September 06, 2018, 03:20:52 PM
Whats the latest for the crypto miners - still in the game?

Con

The game has changed big time, but I am still playing.

Here is my gift to all you crypto-followers... I have known these guys for over a year and they got tired of bullshit coins and developers... they made their own... very early days for it.

https://www.helix-crypto.com/
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

CptHowdy

so 3 years later how is everyone doing at this? i never started mining just didnt have the resources. i have those now but just wondering if straight up buying the coin is better than mining it? im sure SDR wishes he had 3 bitcoin right now! ethereum seems to be the next big thing and is reasonably priced. tried watching YTube vids to see what people are saying about mining but not getting any decent info from them. input from this forum would be excellent. i trust you guys!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Big losses today after Elon tanked BTC by saying Tesla wouldn't accept it anymore due to the energy costs associated with mining.  All the alt coins tanked along with it.

I wonder if he's going to jump on XRP as it's the "green" coin.  Bitcoin's been slowly losing market dominance (down to 48% of total crypto value last time I looked).  It's still the big boy of the block but it's slower than other coins and uses more energy because they stuck with the 1MB size.

Cardano, Etherium, and XRP are faster and better at POW contracts than bitcoin.  They might start to take over.  I think a lot will depend on the outcome of the SEC's case against LBRY and what precident it sets.  I wish I'd bought more ETH last year but I thought it might be done as ETH 2.0 was in the pipe.

I'm holding about a 90% BTC, 9% ETH and dabbling in some random shitcoins with the final 1%.  Up about 3.5X on my investments after today's drop and I'm going long and holding what I have and buying more when I can.

Yeah, in hindsight I wish I'd held those 3 BTC but can't worry about it.  I still came out ahead.  Same with Doge.  I bought a piddling amount at $.03 and sold it at $0.11.  Not the huge gains I could've made had I held it, but still a win.

I'd have a look at the finance 2.0 section over at www.odysee.com.  lots of the crypto crowd post videos there.

nobodyjune61944

The US Internal Revenue Service announced that they were going to carefully audit and track any profits from crypto currency.  That was either the leading element, or a close follow-up to the recent bitcoin crash.

The IRS auditing bitcoin/cryptocurrency was inevitable once it got large enough.  This will have a profound impact on the nongovernment backed currency.

My guess is that it will lower valuations substantially - like nongovernment currencies in the past.  This happened in the USA once before when FDR banned the use of gold to pay ordinary debts - and then the IRS was sent after those who routinely did business in gold transactions.

nobodyjune61944

The Chinese Communists have publicly announced that they are going to ban bitcoin in China.  They have told their subjects to transfer out of the funds by a set date.

They have done similar things under the current dictator - so I doubt if they are bluffing.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think they are. 

They want to get individual investors out, depress the value, and then buy it up on the dip.  Analytics showed the same thing happened when Turkey and India banned it.  When Elon announced Tesla wouldn't accept Bitcoin as payment anymore and the value tanked,  the average value sold was between $100-$200 and the average buy on the dips was 100x that.  Indicates to me that the big players are exploiting the volatility of the coin in order to accrue more when the price drops.

Staggerwing

That kind of price manipulation could never happen with precious metals, now could it?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

solops

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 29, 2021, 08:20:53 AM
That kind of price manipulation could never happen with precious metals, now could it?
Much tougher, but doable. Ask the Hunt brothers.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Staggerwing

Just who I was thinking of.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

nobodyjune61944

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 28, 2021, 10:48:10 PM
I think they are. 

They want to get individual investors out, depress the value, and then buy it up on the dip.  Analytics showed the same thing happened when Turkey and India banned it.  When Elon announced Tesla wouldn't accept Bitcoin as payment anymore and the value tanked,  the average value sold was between $100-$200 and the average buy on the dips was 100x that.  Indicates to me that the big players are exploiting the volatility of the coin in order to accrue more when the price drops.

I don't understand bitcoin.  I've not tried to understand it beyond my knowledge of other non-government backed currencies over the last 100 years.
Given my disclosure, your comment could be lifted verbatim substituting the item (bitcoin) and the specifics (Turkey & India) from any discussion of financial bubbles in the last three centuries.   Do as you wish, but I avoid investments that I don't understand or which resemble classic financial bubbles from the past.

Gusington

I got some tulip bulbs here burning a hole in my pocket.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2021, 02:57:14 PM

I bid one Dogecoin.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2021, 02:57:14 PM

If the prices tank again on tulip bulbs at least you can roast them up and eat them.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Could very well be another spec bubble.  Then again, it's been going and increasing for 12 years.  The tulip mania was only a season.  I got hammered pretty bad in 2008 and my more traditional portfolios took another beating with the COVID thing.  With the way they've been printing money, I figure holding cash is a bad idea and real estate around here is too expensive to buy, so I've been doing precious metals (even though I tried that with silver post 2008 and that didn't pan out) and crypto.  Crypto has taken a beating over the last month but I'm still up.  I think the only thing I've bought that's out performed it is ammo.