GMT's Red Winter P500

Started by Crossroads, May 05, 2017, 12:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

It was an unusually cold April, so while May looks warmer, so far, don't bet on it. As all this is nothing but an omen... for a new Winter War boardgame !!

GMT's Red Winter re-print P500 is now at 227, after my order  O:-)

Let's get this done

P500 at GMT Games

edit fixed broken links
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I add that one to the collection.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

ArizonaTank

Same designer and system as "Operation Dauntless" also GMT. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Pinetree

You can also P500 the mounted map board which is two-sided with the Operation Dauntless map:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-639-operation-dauntless-mounted-mapboard.aspx

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Crossroads

Quote from: Pinetree on May 07, 2017, 04:31:51 AM
You can also P500 the mounted map board which is two-sided with the Operation Dauntless map:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-639-operation-dauntless-mounted-mapboard.aspx

Only 195 calls so far, although at the same ball park with Red Winter with 229 preorders. I'll have to keep an eye on the mopboards, hopefully they could be sent (whenever that takes place) as one parcel.

Crossroads

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 06, 2017, 03:50:12 PM

Read a few posts from the BGG forum. Separate, fast tank action to be accompanied with more traditional infantry / artillery behaviour. That looks like a neat game as well. Have you played it? Haven't read its rulebook though, while I have the Red Winter rulebook. That one looks particularly unique in some ways, like how they've incorporated the effort to keep the troops in battle condition amid the harsh below-freezing temperatures.

mirth

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 06, 2017, 03:50:12 PM

He did amazing work on Dauntless.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Red Winter's now got 480 pledges. Is it 500 with GMT, or do they look for more subscribers before going for a reprint, anyone know?

W8taminute

Speaking from my experience with ordering Paths of Glory which was on GMT's P500 I know that they don't go to print until at least 700 orders.  When I placed my order for POG the count was somewhere in the upper 600's but yet it still took them several months before they printed the game. 

I like the P500 system.  It is a good idea, however GMT needs to work on their execution and communication.  I'll probably never go the P500 route again unless I hear that they've dramatically improved their P500 process.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Crossroads

Quote from: W8taminute on February 25, 2019, 01:59:22 PM
Speaking from my experience with ordering Paths of Glory which was on GMT's P500 I know that they don't go to print until at least 700 orders.  When I placed my order for POG the count was somewhere in the upper 600's but yet it still took them several months before they printed the game. 

I like the P500 system.  It is a good idea, however GMT needs to work on their execution and communication.  I'll probably never go the P500 route again unless I hear that they've dramatically improved their P500 process.

Thanks, I thought "making the cut" means that's it, it's done, but indeed in their FAQ they say it's closer to 700 when a game is sent for a reprint.

Bummer. Oh well, good things are worth the wait...

al_infierno

I have Red Winter already but this is very tempting...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Crossroads

Got the following email from GMT:

QuoteDear NN,

We are pleased to announce that the game Red Winter, Expanded 2nd Edition in your order number XXXXX (quantity 1 at price $35.00) has changed status to: Made the Cut

We have numerous games in the pre-production queue and generally assign an exact charge date for each P500 game as they near 700 orders. Please keep an eye on the P500 section of the GMT website, which we will update regularly with exact dates for P500 charging and shipping.

Thank you,
GMT Games

So indeed some 200 orders yet required I assume.

This November marks the 80th anniversary of Winter War, I hope this make the cut moves to print queue by that time.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on April 07, 2019, 10:37:01 AM

So indeed some 200 orders yet required I assume.

This November marks the 80th anniversary of Winter War, I hope this make the cut moves to print queue by that time.
At 720 preorders, still not At The Printer...   :(