More Close Combat at Gog.

Started by DoctorQuest, March 21, 2018, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

JasonPratt

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 23, 2018, 06:05:26 PM
Thanks Jason!   :bd:

Note updates in my main report, a few minutes ago, just to be safe.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

Not having played any of these games, which would you all recommend as the best to play?

JasonPratt

GATEWAY TO CAEN should be the most polished experience of the original engine, and covers an important operation that doesn't get covered a lot.

LAST STAND ARNHEM is the updated remake to what was universally regarded as the best game of the first generation of the original engine.

PANTHERS IN THE FOG is another unusual battle (post-Cobra Brittany breakout endrun) that doesn't get covered a lot, but since we don't have a review of it who knows what it's like?  >:D

But I haven't played the series in a while -- it's on my list of things to do this year -- and I haven't played any of these specifically yet, so I can only speak of relative quality in principles. Theoretically GtC should be the 'best' in quality, but all three use increasingly polished versions of the original engine.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

Toonces

Just an FYI, the Close Combat games are all discounted at GoG for their summer sale.

I actually searched this site to see what the consensus was on the CC games.  I still haven't decided whether to jump in on The Bloody First, or collect a few of the cheaper, older titles.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

Bloody First is a bloody mess imho Toonces. The 3D that was the poster boy feature for this title is horrible. No excuse for that. That feature would have propelled close combat into the 2020s. Instead the 3D feature is some kind of hodge podge band aided on feature. Vehicles slide around on immovable wheels like cardboard place holders and the textures and resolution while ok, is certainly a unique. But in reality I really do think it's just an 3D overlay on the old engine. That's why it has transferred so badly and feels so clunky.

I left the pictures below in their native resolution so you can really see all the dodginess.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

P.S. Have GOG partnered with EPIC games?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Looks like it's just an option to connect accounts.

"New official GOG GALAXY 2.0 integration with Epic Games Store is live"

To use the new official integration, please connect your Epic Games Store account following these steps:
1. Click "Add games & friends" at the top of the "Recent" view.
2. Select "Connect platforms".
3. Find Epic Games Store in the official integration section, and click "Connect".
4. Sign in to your Epic Games Store account.

https://www.gog.com/newsletter/GALAXY_Epic_integrated_en/?track...

Gusington

^You had me shit a brick there for a second.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Sorry. I loaded gog galaxy tonight and it said "we have partnered with epic games".

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Yeah, after I bumped this thread last night I did some more researching and it sounds like The Bloody First is NOT the game to start the franchise with.

The older titles are a small buy-in, like $3-$10, so I think I'll get a few retro titles and see how it goes.  Should be plenty of user-made scenarios floating around as well.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

Toonces, if you are just starting then CC5 was always the go to game for close combat fans. It has all the mods and was the last of the fully professionally developed close combat projects. I used to love the Gold, Juno, Sword mod back in the day.

Close Combat 2 was the nostalgic favourite of many because it did para drops, it was called a bridge too far. It was probably the most realistic campaign wise. The most wargamey.

Close Combat 1 had the best sounds imho and was possibly the most hard core. It had a very nice feel to it. But it is way too dated now to be very playable I would think. At least from a graphical standpoint.

Close Combat 3 had a great linear campaign that I loved because it allowed me to fiddle a lot with what units I wanted to accept into my battlegroup. Kind of the "unit collector" style of campaign. Who does not like adding more powerful tanks to their units! Of course grogs did not like this because it was less realistic. The units in the campaign were not really units but a random collection of small units cobbled together by the player.

Close Combat 4 was panned by many when it came out. I liked it though. If I had to say, I would advise this is the least popular of the original close combat games. There was an amazing mod for it though. CCIV is probably the simplest of the titles. Graphically, campaign and interface wise. It did introduce the new unit management interface that CC5 used so well.

After Close Combat 5 I they stopped developing full close combat games and the game eventually went to I think it was matrix games? Who then pumped out a lot of titles that I would consider more "based on" the older games than full games in their own right. Even Bloody First I suspect, is NOT a brand new game from the ground up with elements of the old games, but rather an old game with some band aided features tacked on.

Here is the old close combat site. Go have a gander. Last blog entry in feb 2021. I think Sulla used to run it.
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/index.php

Here is the gold juno sword mod. Check 23:10 for a sweet panther ambush.

BTW here is the list of installable mods for close combat bloody first. I recognise the Author's name!