CMBN - AAR Roadblock Training Mission

Started by Bison, February 19, 2012, 07:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: SCDJ on February 20, 2012, 12:05:16 AM
Thanks for the great AAR.  I always love lots of pictures!   I am still on the fence about getting this game...

I didn't even include any screenshots to show off the awesome detail that Battlefront put into the units and terrain.  Simply amazing IMHO.  Have you ever played any of the other CM games?  I was holding off too, but mostly I wanted to wait for a few more unit modules to be released.  However I've been itching for a tactical game and this fit the bill perfectly.

TheCommandTent

I played CMBO and CMBB and really enjoyed them.  So I am sure I would enjoy this but for some reason I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Although as an above poster said I get lost real fast with a larger number of units.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Grim.Reaper

Bison, thanks for the additional tips in managing the large forces.  I do wish they made a lot more of the smaller scenarios, just prefer much more small scale operations so I can realy focus on my troops.  I do love the game itself, just find it hard to manage everything and still enjoy it.

Bison

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 20, 2012, 08:38:50 AM
Bison, thanks for the additional tips in managing the large forces.  I do wish they made a lot more of the smaller scenarios, just prefer much more small scale operations so I can realy focus on my troops.  I do love the game itself, just find it hard to manage everything and still enjoy it.

There is the quick battle gameplay option where you can set the parameters.  So if all you want to play is small or medium sized battles, you can do that and eventually once you get comfortable controlling your units you can move onto larger battles and the campaigns.

TheCommandTent

How good is the campaign function in the game?  Are the battles linked i.e. how you do in the previous battle affects the current battle, casualties carrying over, unit experience etc.?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Quote from: SCDJ on February 20, 2012, 10:38:48 PM
How good is the campaign function in the game?  Are the battles linked i.e. how you do in the previous battle affects the current battle, casualties carrying over, unit experience etc.?

I've just begun my first campaign this evening.  I've been play the individual pre-made battles and a couple using the quick battle setup.  Here's what the manual says.  In short, yes the battles are linked and yes your forces carry over.

CAMPAIGNS
A Campaign is a single player game that progresses through a series of interconnected
Battles stretching over many simulated hours, days, weeks, or
even months. After completing a Battle, Combat Mission selects the next
Battle based on the results of the one just completed. The Battles within a
Campaign are all premade, but are adjusted to reflect combat results from
the previous Battle. Combat Mission campaigns are what we call "semi-dynamic":
this means there are some predetermined elements, as well as some
based on the player's actions.
Certain units have their casualties, changes in leadership, ammo usage, damage,
Combat Victories and other factors carried over to the next Battle they
appear in. Such units are called Core Units and constitute the bulk of the
player's available force for the Campaign. This does not mean, however, that
every Core Unit appears in every battle. On the contrary, very often units
seen in one battle might not appear again until several battles later. Some
50 Combat Mission
units may only appear a couple of times, while others appear nearly every
battle. However, Core Units are always seen at least two times, unlike Auxiliary
Units which are seen only once for the whole Campaign. Combat
Mission makes no attempt to inform the player about which units are Core,
in order to remove the temptation for players to abuse of Auxiliaries (i.e.
treating Auxiliary units as "disposable").
Depending on conditions before each new Battle, Combat Mission may replace
fallen soldiers, repair damaged vehicles, replenish ammo, etc. However, as
with any real-life military campaign, replacement, repair, and replenishment
are not guaranteed events. A wise player will keep this in mind and
avoid wearing out his forces trying to achieve something that, in the larger
context of the campaign, is relatively unimportant.
Combat Mission chooses which Battle comes next based on the score from the
previous Battle. However, the evaluation is based on expectations about how
well the player should do. Sometimes expectations are high and sometimes
not. This could mean a high score for one Battle keeps the player on the
optimal path to victory, while the same exact score for another Battle may
mean a detour before getting back on the straight path to the Campaign's
end. Generally, however, better results lead to a more direct path to the
final Battle.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bison on February 20, 2012, 03:38:17 PM

There is the quick battle gameplay option where you can set the parameters.  So if all you want to play is small or medium sized battles, you can do that and eventually once you get comfortable controlling your units you can move onto larger battles and the campaigns.

Thanks biso forgot all about the quick battles.  However gave it a quick try last night on the tiny setting and let the CPU pick its forces.  It seems even on that setting my enemy had over a 100 soldiers in action which seemed quite high for a tiny setup.  I don,t even want to think what large would have been:)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Bison on February 20, 2012, 03:38:17 PM

ive recently started 'converting' the small maps from Company of Heroes to CMBN maps - im halfway through the very first CoH level (the nighttime para drop map) and that includes a very small force, and have almost finished the very first CoH UK map 'Authie: Boudicea's Boys' with the Canadians (needed the commonwealth module to be released) and again is just a company either side

Bison

Cool.  Post a screenshot if you can I'd like to see the map.

undercovergeek

This is a top down view of the starting position for the Allies, the x marks the arrival of a depleted airbourne squad, another one spawns here 5 minutes later. The mission is exactly the same as 'road to vierville' to take out the AA guns - the farm on the right is the one from the level that triggers a squad stuck in there under fire from a german squad - this activates after 10 minutes which should be plenty of time for the airbourne to take the first AA gun and help the squad - it has to be timed triggers theres no other way, so if the player gets hung up on the first AA gun, the squad that spawns in the barn on 10 mins is toast! but therell be other reinforcements:-

And this is Authie:-

The big vehicle depot (lost many a CoH pixeltruppen in here!):-

and the Abbey complex:-

Bison

jomni

I'm still holding out waiting for all DLC to be released and sold as a package.  ;D

Bison

Quote from: jomni on May 15, 2012, 04:50:14 AM
I'm still holding out waiting for all DLC to be released and sold as a package.  ;D

Slacker!