What the U.S. Army Wants in a Shooter Game

Started by DicedT, July 30, 2012, 08:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Mike - I gotta pick on you for one thing you put in there:

Quotebut the Army has turned it into a jack-of-all-trades trainer for everything from cultural awareness to IED detection. The Army's new shooter game will be used for a lot more than shooting.

While the Army is using it for a variety of things, wasn't it the Marines that started most of the mods to VBS2?  The VCAT and ATLS software started w/ a USMC contract, and many of the initial mods came out of bolt-ons to the DVTE.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

James Sterrett

Yep.  Paul Nichols over at PMTRASYS won't let forget it, either.  :) 

DicedT

I haven't heard a peep about Marine gaming in a while (I think they're focusing on LVC now, and MARSYSCOM hits the roof if I dare to use the word "game"). So I just focus on the Army now.

Michael

Smuckatelli

Trasys & PEO Stri is working hand in hand on this effort. Basically what we ended up doing was leveraging the Australian MOD VBS-2, did a CTA and came up with the requirements for VBS-2/VTK. A critical function was the ability for a third party to link with VBS-2. That is were the ALTS (VRP) and IMT stuff came from.