Main Menu

Tech Confession

Started by Bison, August 08, 2012, 10:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I've been seriously looking at getting a 27" iMac.  It's like a siren luring me into the jagged rocks.  I love my iProducts.  iPhone and iPad.  I played with one at Best Buy last week and good night is it a slick interface.  I also really like the wireless magic mouse. /sigh/  So tempted.

junk2drive

If you can afford one, go right ahead. Just like expensive cars. Make sure you get one that allows window to be on it for those games not ported.

LongBlade

Quote from: junk2drive on August 08, 2012, 10:32:22 PM
If you can afford one, go right ahead. Just like expensive cars. Make sure you get one that allows window to be on it for those games not ported.

That, or if you already have a solid gaming rig then there's no problem.

I think of Macs like I think of Sony - good quality for what you get, but you pay a bit extra for the name.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

junk2drive

Tech is going through a revolution with the pads/tablets and phones and such and all of them connected together. I see more interest from game companies in Mac with the iPad popularity. It is also a case of looking for cows that haven't been milked.

Point is, I think more games are going to be ported to Mac.

LongBlade

Quote from: junk2drive on August 09, 2012, 09:25:00 AM
Point is, I think more games are going to be ported to Mac.

You could be right. Consoles have proven Apple's original point that most gamers want a gaming platform that works. They don't want to be fooling around with patches and video card upgrades - they want a brain-dead gaming platform that works. That has been Apple's mantra forever - they don't want customers monkeying around with the innerds of their systems and hardware, they lock it down.

But then again, despite the iPhone revolution, Android et al are thriving. Jailbreaking your phone is done for a reason - not everyone wants to be confined.

So I guess I agree that more gaming will be done on the iOS, but I'm not convinced it will take over the world.

Staggerwing

Android can't stay open sandbox forever. It's already turning into a huge compatibility mess now, with device manufacturers trying to brew up their own versions that try to corral the buyer into drinking from restricted content wells.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

I think Stagger has the right of it.  Put it into terms of tablet gaming.  I think that Amazon's Kindle is a gold mine waiting to be tapped into for android market dominance.  Uniform platform with a controllable distribution system.

Honestly it one of the reasons I like iProducts.  I can synch everything together.  Purchases are easy to keep track of and install, uninstall, reinstall.  Also have you seen an Apple computer monitor lately?  Oh my God are they amazing!  Seriously I don't know why a PC cannot have as nice of a monitor.

W8taminute

Bison I highly recommend getting the iMac.  I was in the same boat as you last Christmas.  We've got two iPhones, and iPad, and two iPods and I decided to give into the pressure and buy a Macbook Pro.  Am I glad I did.  Yes, you may pay a little extra, but damn it, when I turn on the Macbook it works, it just works.  No fiddling around with stupid graphic card drivers, viruses, dll's, and all the other baggage a windows machine has to deal with. 

I'm too old to fiddle with tech equipment anymore.  When I turn something on I expect it to work without having to google 50,000 forums posts on how to fix missing dll pagefaults with a dash of blue screen of deaths.

Note however, I do indeed have a traditional gaming rig running Vista.  My next computer game purchase will be for the Mac and I am committed to gaming on my Mac whenever possible. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on August 09, 2012, 10:37:49 AM
Honestly it one of the reasons I like iProducts.  I can synch everything together. 

I have to agree that I'm envious of how easily it all works together.

That said, I'd rather be able to control what I do, and I'm happier not having an iOS on my phone than I was with one.

junk2drive

Meanwhile my daughter has a several year old iMac. It has a big black stripe down the middle of the screen. Bad screen, several hundred to replace. A friend gave them an old 4:3 flat panel to set in front of it. For around $150 they can buy a decent wide screen.

Staggerwing

Quote from: junk2drive on August 09, 2012, 02:54:35 PM
Meanwhile my daughter has a several year old iMac. It has a big black stripe down the middle of the screen. Bad screen, several hundred to replace. A friend gave them an old 4:3 flat panel to set in front of it. For around $150 they can buy a decent wide screen.

Those screens are not that hard to replace on the older ones. What model iMac is it? G5 iSight, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo? Screen size? Speed?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

junk2drive

No idea. They check around with friends, decided that they couldn't afford it right now. At least they can plug in a separate monitor and use it.