After Action Reports > Digital Gaming AARs

Tank Warfare Tunisia 1943: El Guettar

<< < (2/5) > >>

ack-ack:
Turn 2, Battle 3
23 March 1943, 7:00

A single German battle group makes contact with a company of M3 TDs and a reconsince group comprised of M6 TDs.

The M3s are set up in a line, dug in, to the north on a ridge overlooking the entire enemy spawn. M6s are placed to the west, they are not dug in but at least concealed in defilade.

A few minutes into the battle I spot a lone PzII moving north towards the dug in TDs. I send up a platoon of M6s to scout and suddenly the whole group of enemy tanks opens up on them. I tell the M3s on the ridge to open fire.

The German armor is caught in a crossfire between the dug-in TD company on the hill to the north and the reconnaissance group to the west. They look like mostly PzIIIs and PzIV long barrels.

Everything is going swimmingly until we start running out of AP rounds. Despite destroying most of their tanks there are still a few PzIV long barrels remaining and they are getting accurate hits on us. Without any more AP rounds we donít stand much chance in taking them out so I take the offer for cease fire. The group consisted of 1 PzII, 1 PzIII, and 2 PzIV platoons. They lost 12 tanks according to the victory screen. We lost 1 vehicle.

W8taminute:
ack-ack.  You magnificent bastard!

ack-ack:
End of Turn 2

The Germans were mostly stopped from making any gains minus the one square km we lost just NE of Dj. el Mcheltat. Fortunately it looks like G company was able to successfully retreat and plug the gap in the lines, but they wonít be dug in next turn. German tank forces were bloodied pretty good in that last battle. They lost a good number of PzIV long barrels. Hopefully PzIVs will be our biggest threat, I donít know if Tigers ever made an appearance in this battle. 

ack-ack:
Turn 3
Movement Phase

Moved a few supply truck platoons closer to front line units that saw action last turn. Iím hoping that they will be able to resupply my SPGs with AP and HE rounds.

ack-ack:
Turn 3, Battle 1
23 March 1943, 9:00

Germans are attacking the Dj. el Mcheltat VP again. They outnumber us 3 to 2 battlegroups. One of the infantry battlegroups is weak, it got decimated during a battle last turn. The armored car battle group is still at full strength and there is one unknown battlegroup.

I set up H company in their old dug-in positions from a previous battle in turn 2. Annoyingly, the foxholes for the MG platoon seem to have vanished  ???. Hopefully theyíll share some foxholes with H company. I company is dug-in to the north in a valley. They are accompanied by a machine gun platoon as well.

The battle begins with German machine guns firing at us from atop from what I assume is Dj. el Mcheltat. I guess they already control the mountain but they technically donít control the VP square yet. I call in some 75mm off map artillery on the German positions. A group of SdKfz 232 also reveal themselves and they start making their way down the mountain to H company. Iím hoping that my heavy machine guns will be able to pierce their armor.

It doesn't look like our MGs are having much effect on the armored cars. I also spot a large group of half tracks in the distance, must be a part of the new enemy battlegroup.

Our boys take a pounding from all of the MG and auto cannon fire. Fortunately our artillery is doing good work against them. I think that if we can just sit tight in our foxholes we might just be able to

waitÖ      whatís that noise I hear?   some kind of... buzzing?

We withdraw from the battlefield suffering 178 casualties to the enemyís 61. The Dj. el Mcheltat VP in now in German hands.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version