War on the Sea coming soon! (from Killerfish Games)

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 12, 2021, 02:26:06 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 12, 2021, 01:30:28 PM
Opps. My bad. The video I was referring to was actually Wolfpack's, 'Solomon Sea Skirmish'. Sorry.

I'm just saying, in my experience (actually playing scenarios I set up or the single battles), in the night actions that are typical of most of the
battles in the Solomons campaign, the IJN destroyers do very well (reacting and firing torpedoes and guns appropriately).

Here's USS Minneapolis using searchlights after surviving a torpedo hit:

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

I booted up the campaign with the TTE mod yesterday and I have to say, I am absolutely struggling to like this game still.  I feel like I am investing an awful lot of time trying to force myself to like and enjoy the experience.  I'm a big fan of drilling down to the tactical level and having the control over units, but the whole command point system of buying ships and whatnot in the campaign is a complete and utter immersion killer. 

I keep hoping it will somehow click at some point, but thus far that has not been the case.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MengJiao

Quote from: Toonces on October 09, 2021, 01:34:27 PM
I booted up the campaign with the TTE mod yesterday and I have to say, I am absolutely struggling to like this game still.  I feel like I am investing an awful lot of time trying to force myself to like and enjoy the experience.  I'm a big fan of drilling down to the tactical level and having the control over units, but the whole command point system of buying ships and whatnot in the campaign is a complete and utter immersion killer. 

I keep hoping it will somehow click at some point, but thus far that has not been the case.

I don't get the campaign mode at all.  Still, the night battles are the best I've ever seen.  I'm going to try again with the campaigns.

W8taminute

Toonces I'm still struggling to like the campaign game as well for the reasons you mention but the TTE mod does make it a wee bit funner.  Still not enough to hold my interest for long. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 09, 2021, 08:29:54 PM

I don't get the campaign mode at all.  Still, the night battles are the best I've ever seen.  I'm going to try again with the campaigns.

Okay...Campaign mayhem -- ran into the Imperial Navy off Guadalcanal on August 8.  Luckily it was daylight and the loses so far appear to be: 1 US DD sunk, one Heavy Cruiser dead in the water...versus
2 Imperial heavy cruisers sunk and 2 imperial DDs sunk...here is the Nashville shooting at Tone early in the battle:

Jarhead0331

^for all the struggles people seem to be having getting into this game, it sure does look spectacular. Maybe you guys should step away from the strategic aspect of the game that is holding you back and just try to enjoy the tactical battles in all of their glory?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 11, 2021, 10:54:13 AM

I installed the Tokoyo Express Mod.  Very nice!  And you can get to Guadalcanal before August 7.  Here's an early morning air attack off Guadalcanal featuring USS Brooklyn:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 12, 2021, 11:56:32 AM
Brooklyn never looked so good Meng.  :bd:

I tried to remember to mention -- it's August 6 in the Tokyo Express Mod.  How about that!  Maybe I can land the Marines on time, even, maybe.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 12, 2021, 02:02:44 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 12, 2021, 11:56:32 AM
Brooklyn never looked so good Meng.  :bd:

I tried to remember to mention -- it's August 6 in the Tokyo Express Mod.  How about that!  Maybe I can land the Marines on time, even, maybe.

Sendai under fire off Rendova:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Skoop

Games on sale on steam but not sure if it's enough to justify it with the impressions here.  Still, the tactical part looks fun.  It'd be a no brainer, but the other reviews confirm that you have to micro manage the AI and the campaign management is not great.