Ultimate General: American Revolution

Started by al_infierno, November 16, 2020, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Good news. I wouldn't say out of nowhere though. I think it's a logical progression after Age of Sail.

Want to bet whether the next title in the Ultimate General series will be Napoleonics?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Awesome. I would buy both UG: American Revolution and UG: Napoleon. I would throw money at the screen for UG: Franco-Prussian War, UG: Russian Revolution and/or UG: The Great War. All in good time...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Totally into this, hopefully early access not crazily expensive....and hope maybe the gameplay will be a little slower to represent tactics of the day....fingers crossed!

steve58

I'll be watching this one, but think I've got my hands full for a while with UA:AoS and UA:D.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

They need to finish AoS and get it to work right first.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

I saw that today too. Lots of big promises there, we'll see. But in the meantime, even my old loins can still moisten. A little.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for it; but I can never seem to get past the Battle of Shiloh in UG:CW (on the Confederate side) without losing my enthusiasm for the game. The game is just so very gamey sometimes (in at least two senses of that word), both for and against the player (but especially against), in order to foist things along. It never seemed that way when I was playing the original UG:Gettys,  but maybe I didn't get far enough.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I would LOVE a, "Swamp Fox" campaign.  \m/
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^I would be surprised if you didn't get one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Hope you're right. I'm talking the REAL Marion here, not Mel Gibson waving a flag and killing Brits with a tomahawk. Though, that could be fun too.

glen55

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 16, 2020, 11:26:51 PM
I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for it; but I can never seem to get past the Battle of Shiloh in UG:CW (on the Confederate side) without losing my enthusiasm for the game. The game is just so very gamey sometimes (in at least two senses of that word), both for and against the player (but especially against), in order to foist things along. It never seemed that way when I was playing the original UG:Gettys,  but maybe I didn't get far enough.

There are definitely scenarios in UGCW where the key to winning is to know exactly what's going to happen and deploy your troops perfectly to meet it. That was never true in UGG. And I got all the way through to Pickett's Charge.

Quote from: solops on November 16, 2020, 06:00:49 PM
They need to finish AoS and get it to work right first.

This is definitely exciting news, particularly since I have JUST been reading the first Revolutionary War history I have ever picked up, but yeah, my one qualm is that I would like them to keep working on AOS and in fact I wouldn't mind a little more work on UGCW.

Maybe they can make enough money to do it all, though. They'll sure get some of mine.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 17, 2020, 12:49:49 PM
Hope you're right. I'm talking the REAL Marion here, not Mel Gibson waving a flag and killing Brits with a tomahawk. Though, that could be fun too.
Careful what you say... don't forget that both sides were technically "Brits" at the time cousin Jonathan! There is a reason why they were called "rebels" and also why there was also considerable sympathy in some quarters of Westminster, and in England generally as this was not seen as a "foreign war" - at least not until the evil, garlic breath French got involved (I hope you're listening Sauron!  >:D  ;D ;)). People like Thomas Paine were English and George Washington's grandfather was born about 10 miles from my father's place of birth...

https://time.com/5326345/british-american-revolution-1776/
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL3293365M/British_supporters_of_the_American_revolution_1775-1783
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

BTW, I'm really looking forward to this game... O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat