Distant Worlds 2 Formal Announcement

Started by Jarhead0331, January 26, 2021, 09:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The critically acclaimed 4X space strategy epic Distant Worlds returns.
A brand new 64-bit engine, full 3D graphics and a state-of-the-art interface will take the franchise to the next level. Distant Worlds 2 releases later this year: the galaxy lives on.

Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. The Universe is Yours!

Huge galaxies with up to 2,000 star systems and tens of thousands of planets, moons, and asteroids are yours to explore and exploit, whether peacefully through mining and diplomacy or by conquest! The complex process of generating a galaxy ensures that every new game will be different and the many galaxy setup options ensure incredible replayability as well as the ability to have your game be just the way you like it.

Features:

Galaxies are so deep, fun and immersive that you won't want to finish the game. Choose from seven playable base game factions which cover a wide variety of playstyles. Build, expand and improve your empire while playing through the storylines, with victory conditions or in an open-ended sandbox mode.

Each galaxy is packed with life and activity. Encounter other empires, independent alien colonies, traders, pirates and space monsters. Explore star systems, asteroid fields, galactic storms and black holes. Discover evidence of civilizations long since past, uncovering secrets about the galaxy's troubled history.

Intelligent automation allows you to tailor the game to your preferred playstyle and scale. Decide how much you want to control and which gameplay areas suit you best. You can limit your focus to just one ship or expand it all the way up to everything in a vast galactic empire. Let your advisors and the intelligent automation handle the rest.

Extensive In-Game Help is included. Exhaustive, built-in, context-sensitive help is always only a single key-press away. Press F1 at any time for a detailed explanation of the current game screen, your currently selected item, and so on, or just browse the complete "Galactopedia".

Distant Worlds 2 gameplay areas cover the entirety
of what a 4X strategy game should include

Explore: Unique discoveries possible in many systems as well as special hidden locations throughout the galaxy, some connected to the storyline (if enabled). You are not the first to travel to the stars in the history of the galaxy and much of what remains from previous eras can be discovered. Everything from space creatures and lost planetary ruins to unique ancient ships, forgotten artifacts, and even old battlefields or hidden threats can be found for those who look long enough in the void.

Expand and Exploit: Colony ships will carry your people to the stars, once you have found planets that are habitable for them, or researched the technologies to make other planet types suitable for colonization. You can also build terraforming facilities to further improve your colonies. Construction ships will allow you to build Mining Stations, Mining Ships will mine where stations are lacking, there are even Resort Bases which allow for galactic tourism at scenic locations. Happy populations with good resource availability and welcoming migration policies (or migration treaties) will encourage more people to travel to your worlds on passenger ships.

Exterminate: If peaceful co-existence is impossible or just not what you were after anyway, there are many other options, ranging from sabotage and inciting rebellions to space battles between ships and fleets; the blockade of systems to full planetary invasions and conquest; or orbital bombardment, enslavement, and extermination of hostile populations and even actual destruction of planets.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Excellent...i guess it will be released this year.

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup

Distant Worlds 2 | Gameplay Reveal [Starting at 5pm GMT]

Stream starting in a few minutes.

steve58

Nice.  Something I can use my MG anniversary coupon on next year.  O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

hellfish6

I really liked the first one and I'm sure I'll like this too, but I'm ready for a new take on 4X games. I think Terra Invicta will scratch the itch for me. I'm kinda over the avian species, the humans, the more beautiful human empath/telepaths, the insectoids, the dinosaurs, the space bears and sentient seafood species that every space 4x comes with. And god help me if I have to start another space 4x with two FTL scouts and a colony ship while having to research infantry.

Rayfer

Quote from: hellfish6 on January 26, 2021, 02:02:36 PM
I really liked the first one and I'm sure I'll like this too, but I'm ready for a new take on 4X games. I think Terra Invicta will scratch the itch for me. I'm kinda over the avian species, the humans, the more beautiful human empath/telepaths, the insectoids, the dinosaurs, the space bears and sentient seafood species that every space 4x comes with. And god help me if I have to start another space 4x with two FTL scouts and a colony ship while having to research infantry.

Well said, ah, er, written....!   edit: I checked out Terra Invicta on Steam and it looks quite promising/interesting.

steve58

Quote from: Rayfer on January 26, 2021, 02:30:23 PM

Well said, ah, er, written....!   edit: I checked out Terra Invicta on Steam and it looks quite promising/interesting.

ditto.  Added it to my wish/watchlist.   O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Rayfer on January 26, 2021, 02:30:23 PM

I'll echo those sentiments.  You'd think somebody could come up with something more creative after Sid Meier's original concept 35 years ago!

In all fairness to DWU, they actually did this:  You started out with two scouts and one Constructor ship , ALL of them S(lower)TL!!  And colony ships didn't happen for a while, nor did Starbases or defense platforms.  The Mining Platforms and Science Stations were all available at the start, but when you built them in other star systems, they were obviously very subject to depredations from the much-stronger-than-you pirate warlords early on!   :knuppel2:

DWU also introduced a nice wrinkle where there are a few major race factions in the game:  Warm-blooded bipeds, cold-blooded bipeds, and insectoid species each like one another more than the other factions.  It's not impossible to have allies (or even bring citizens into your Empire via migration) that spanned multiple factions and races, but it was a lot... more complicated.  Nothing was worse than having a solid chunk of your own citizenry decide that they liked another Empire more than you!   :timeout:

DWU is among my Top 5 all time favorite games.  The only way I don't buy this is if the early previews scream bloody murder at how bad it is.

Dammit Carl!

Wish I had the attention span to really get into 4x games.

Myrmidon

Yeah, this will be a day 1 buy for me.  What the last one brought to the table was pretty unique with the private sector resource management.  Logistics was a huge, and well done part of the game, with a lack of proper materials bringing one's industries to a halt.  Ship design, which was already highly customizable, would need to be planned around one's available resources and tech, and of course, what one's opponent was bringing to the table.

The real time play always felt right with DW, much like it does with the EU engine.  The excitement of watching a fleet jump in and engage an enemy force was always awesome, and the fleet customization options available for managing huge defense fleets or offense fleets functioned great.  Finding a remote pirate fleet hideout, after they had been blackmailing me and wasting my fleets and bases for many in game years was fun too.  The ability to be able to play the pirate factions was an awesome addition to boot.

I can't wait to see what they can do with an updated engine and graphics.   

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Jarhead0331

It's sounding really fantastic, but God damn, that UI is very cluttered and busy.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Well, you wanted Aurora-depth in a handsome package, so there you go!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."