The Battle of Fox Gap-14 September 1862

Started by Tripoli, March 03, 2021, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Vox

Nice job with your AAR.  SOW and the CM series are my GoTo  war-games.  O0

Re:Video.   The  user videos  Ive seen tend to be too long and boring particularly WG . Learn to  edit your video effectively . Keep  the content moving, highlight whats important, interspersed historic content as you did here etc.   

Tripoli

Quote from: Vox on August 27, 2021, 10:58:47 AM
Nice job with your AAR.  SOW and the CM series are my GoTo  war-games.  O0

Re:Video.   The  user videos  Ive seen tend to be too long and boring particularly WG . Learn to  edit your video effectively . Keep  the content moving, highlight whats important, interspersed historic content as you did here etc.

Thanks.  I'm still pontificating about the Fox Gap videos, in part for exactly the reason you suggest, as I'm extremely inexperienced with making videos, and I don't want anything I do do be boring or irrelevant.  I just finished a battlefield walk of the Pea Ridge battlefield this week, so I might try also doing a Pea Ridge scenario in SoW, using some of the photos I took on my battlefield walk
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Vox

Pea Ridge scn sounds like a good idea. I know almost nothing  about it. Are you referring to the Pea Ridge SOW mod ?

I live near Gettysburg . Walking the battlefield and then playing  the game really clarifies a battle sometimes.  Might  be interesting as a part of a game video. ie compare game to reality.

I play  SOW SP using HITS and  couriers. The HITS  game is like a "first-person" simulation from a commander's  POV. Nothing else quite like it .  You see the terrain's features and  battle unfold as the commander's  would have seen it.  Sow is pretty close to what I've seen.

Tripoli

I've done Headquarters in the Saddle (HITS) before, and like it.  You really get a bit of understanding about the confusion in trying to manage some of these battles.      However, I'm not sure it would make for a good/interesting video , as the view is very restrictive.  I think that most audiences would not get much out of the scene they were seeing.    Regarding the Pea Ridge scenario: I would be using the Pea Ridge mod located here: http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php?topic=6849.0

I agree that playing the SoW series gives the player a good understanding of the terrain of the actual battlefield.  I've been to all the battlefields portrayed in the game, and my understanding of the battles and the terrain have greatly benefited from having played scenarios in SoW.  Of all the USCW games I have played, SoW is the best at giving me an understanding of the terrain and why the battles were fought the way they were.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Vox

Agree. HITS would be difficult to capture and describe , esp for an audience unfamiliar with the game.   DarkRob316 has some nice SoW Waterloo videos using HITS. They are very long videos but he knows the his game and HITS  well. Thanks for the link.

QuoteSoW is the best at giving me an understanding of the terrain and why the battles were fought the way they were.
Maybe a theme for a video?

I never tire of looking around the 3D terrains of SoW and CM series at eye level. From a single player standpoint they can give a real Fog of War challenge.