John Tiller Games Sale: Looking for Advice/Suggestions

Started by Rayfer, June 18, 2021, 03:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

I enjoy many of the American Civil War and Napoleonic games but in the is sale I want to try something different.  Have three in mind: 

1) Naval Campaigns-Guadalcanal. I know nothing about these naval games, is this worth the time and effort to learn?

2) Modern Campaigns: was thinking of either Danube Front, North German Plain or Fulda Gap. I've played a couple of the the WW2 campaign games but none for the modern series. Either of these better than the others?

3) Squad Battles: either Vietnam or Tour of Duty.  I've played SB's WW2 so I know he basics. Either of these two better than the other?

demjansk1942

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on June 18, 2021, 03:44:30 PM
I enjoy many of the American Civil War and Napoleonic games but in the is sale I want to try something different.  Have three in mind: 

1) Naval Campaigns-Guadalcanal. I know nothing about these naval games, is this worth the time and effort to learn?

2) Modern Campaigns: was thinking of either Danube Front, North German Plain or Fulda Gap. I've played a couple of the the WW2 campaign games but none for the modern series. Either of these better than the others?

3) Squad Battles: either Vietnam or Tour of Duty.  I've played SB's WW2 so I know he basics. Either of these two better than the other?

All of the Modern Campaigns titles play similarly, but I believe Danube Front combines all of the maps from the other titles in the series allowing you to play out the war across the entire front.

Both SB: Vietnam and ToD are good games. I think ToD has a campaign, whereas I don't believe Vietnam does. Take a look at the scenario lists and see which one appeals to you most. I think Vietnam might have some more diversity over ToD.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

nelmsm

Just starting to learn Wolfpack.  Taking me a bit but it is so satisfying to put a torpedo into a merchant ship

demjansk1942

The only thing preventing me right now from buying is I have too many games already

Jarhead0331

I picked up Advance of the Reich and Red Victory. Other than Winter War and the Spanish Civil War title, my Squad Battles collection is complete.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

matt3916

Re "The only thing preventing me right now from buying is I have too many games already".

I'm sorry, I don't understand this.  Perhaps a translation is in order?

Gusington

I don't think it would translate well into any language.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Are there any JTS titles covering Army Group North on the eastern front? They all seem to be Group Center and South for some reason.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 20, 2021, 03:59:32 PM
Are there any JTS titles covering Army Group North on the eastern front? They all seem to be Group Center and South for some reason.
SB Red Victory does. I think SB Advance of the Reich has a couple, although there are a lot of user made scenarios which cover this for both games. Tanks at Rossienie immediately springs to mind. FWIW, Rossienie is a 1941 battle about the push into Lithuania.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Rayfer

Quote from: Boggit on June 21, 2021, 10:12:32 PM
SB Red Victory does. I think SB Advance of the Reich has a couple, although there are a lot of user made scenarios which cover this for both games. Tanks at Rossienie immediately springs to mind. FWIW, Rossienie is a 1941 battle about the push into Lithuania.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there isn't anything in the Panzer Campaigns series that covers AGN and the drive to Leningrad?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on June 22, 2021, 10:36:02 AM
Quote from: Boggit on June 21, 2021, 10:12:32 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there isn't anything in the Panzer Campaigns series that covers AGN and the drive to Leningrad?

You are correct, and I really wonder why. This is a huge gap in the coverage of the eastern front series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

After I found out about the additional 20% off for the "BulkOrders" code (orders >= $200) I went a little crazy...

I will probably ask for some PBEM opponents soon...I have a majority of Tiller's operational games now.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Sale ends at 10 pm eastern time today.   Haven't bought anything myself and probably won't, just limited time right now.

Rayfer

I know the sale is over...but, I haven't been able to get onto their site for two days now.  Was hoping to update some of my older titles.  Anyone else having this problem?