Rule the Waves 3: Ironclads to Missile Cruisers

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 18, 2022, 06:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: solops on May 25, 2023, 01:02:22 PMIs there a way to exclude aircraft from the game?

You can slow down aircraft development to 80% of normal pace and also reduce the size of airbases which determine the numbers of aircraft that get deployed but otherwise no.

I find the period from 1890 to 1940 or so brilliant but once aircraft carriers start dominating and even moreso missiles then I have been ending the game.
I enjoy the ship manoeuvres in the early period and this largely disappears later.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

ArizonaTank

One thing I would love to see in a DLC, is some starts with historical ship classes. I would certainly open my wallet for that.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

If you are wondering how your 1900 era creations compare to history, the below is for you.

Found in Strategy & Tactics magazine, No. 59 (Nov/Dec 1976, insert game: "The Plot to Assassinate Hitler", pages 42 and 43), this wonderful chart summarizes key ship data for the Russo-Japanese war.

Format generally fits well with your RTW3 Spreadsheets and is a nice historical benchmark for 1900 era navies. 
(interesting historical note: most of the Japanese navy was not built in Japan)

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Tripoli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 12, 2023, 12:52:21 PMIf you are wondering how your 1900 era creations compare to history, the below is for you.

Found in Strategy & Tactics magazine, No. 59 (Nov/Dec 1976, insert game: "The Plot to Assassinate Hitler", pages 42 and 43), this wonderful chart summarizes key ship data for the Russo-Japanese war....

Damn, you are old..... :evil: Wait a minute...I have that same magazine in the bookcase behind me...... :laugh:
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on June 12, 2023, 02:30:55 PMDamn, you are old..... :evil: Wait a minute...I have that same magazine in the bookcase behind me...... :laugh:

I'll fess up...:)  But I keep telling my wife we are the "young old"...it does make us feel better somehow... :justice:
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I'm feeling the need for an Old People's joke here. Nevermind, it was just the prunes.  :grumpy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Vox

Quick note for anyone interested in trying the earlier games. The NWS store has "Steam and Iron: The Great War"and " Russo-Japanese War" are on sale at a very good price. Both are play similar but distinctly different from RTW series.

Tripoli

Quote from: Vox on June 15, 2023, 05:03:32 AMQuick note for anyone interested in trying the earlier games. The NWS store has "Steam and Iron: The Great War"and " Russo-Japanese War" are on sale at a very good price. Both are play similar but distinctly different from RTW series.
I have played the Great War/Campaign Expansion and it is very good.  Certainly worth the $10 they are asking for right now.  If anyone is interested in the game play, this is what I used in my "WWI in the North Sea" AAR. https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16935.msg444918#msg444918 

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on June 15, 2023, 08:04:13 AM
Quote from: Vox on June 15, 2023, 05:03:32 AMQuick note for anyone interested in trying the earlier games. The NWS store has "Steam and Iron: The Great War"and " Russo-Japanese War" are on sale at a very good price. Both are play similar but distinctly different from RTW series.
I have played the Great War/Campaign Expansion and it is very good.  Certainly worth the $10 they are asking for right now.  If anyone is interested in the game play, this is what I used in my "WWI in the North Sea" AAR. https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16935.msg444918#msg444918 

+1 on these two great games. Well worth $10.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 12, 2023, 10:07:06 PMI'm feeling the need for an Old People's joke here. Nevermind, it was just the prunes.  :grumpy:

Oh!  Prunes!  Anyway, Rule the Waves 3 got an update fixing bugs and admirals, so I started in 1890 as Great Britain.  The Fleet looks pretty good and they haven't started ramming each other accidently or spontaneously blowing up.
The cruisers are all pretty big and go 20 knots (not bad).  I designed a 21-knot protected cruiser and am hoping it
floats and stuff.

Tripoli

I just uploaded the update and will probably resume my AAR as a direct result....

em2nought

Quote from: MengJiao on November 29, 2023, 01:13:32 PMI designed a 21-knot protected cruiser and am hoping it
floats and stuff.

It would be great if you could design something that sinks as soon as it hits the water like the Vasa.  :ROFL:
Stolen elections have consequences.

MengJiao

Quote from: em2nought on November 30, 2023, 12:52:09 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 29, 2023, 01:13:32 PMI designed a 21-knot protected cruiser and am hoping it
floats and stuff.

It would be great if you could design something that sinks as soon as it hits the water like the Vasa.  :ROFL:

Or HMS Captain...but by 1890 being rammed in fleet manoeuvers or just blowing up might have been
more serious risks.  My "scientists" claim they are "Working on Melinite" which I would guess is even more
unstable than cordite or Luddite (sp?>)