Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

KSP 1.1 has been released!  Unity 5 and 64-bit binaries  O0   ...and its on sale on WinGameStore/MacGameStore for $20 and Steam for $24.  Also $24 at the KSP store.

Kerbal Space Program is "Turbo Charged" by the release of patch 1.1!

After almost a year of hard work our major update is finally here! In the package you'll find a large boost in performance due to the upgrade to the Unity 5 game engine, 64 bit binaries for Windows and OSX that will help you mod the game to ridiculous lengths, and the brand new KSPedia reference guide for all the information you need to play the game!

That's not all though, here are some of the highlights for this patch:

All new user interface
The user interface has been rewritten from the ground up to take full advantage of Unity 5's new integrated systems. The 'parallel' UI systems have been removed and the game now uses only one system, adding to the performance bonus the update already brings. Almost all interface elements have been redesigned and tweaked but have retained the familiar feel for experienced players. The most notable tweaks can be found in the map view, staging, IVA portraits and the right-click part menus.

Players can now search through parts by typing in text greatly reducing the time needed to find that one part needed to complete the rocket. The Tracking Station will inform the player of a craft's next maneuver node time, helping players to maintain several active flights at any one time. The Space Center overview features buttons for all the buildings, making sure you don't miss out on any part of the space program by overlooking mission control!

KSPedia
KSPedia will be the primary source for information on just about anything in the game. New players will find the basics of building and flying explained here, and more experienced players can take in information about more advanced concepts such as docking, in-situ resource utilisation and all the information they need to plan a successful mission to the next planet or moon.

New tutorials and scenarios
The tutorials have been extended and reworked from the ground up. The new tutorials will cover topics ranging from basic and advanced construction and flight, to docking and landing on Mun. Learn how to execute the perfect gravity turn, orbit Kerbin and land the Eagle.

Not only tutorials have been reworked: we've extended the available pool of scenarios as well, increasing it by 150%! Use a spaceplane to re-enter the atmosphere and land it back on the runway at the Kerbal Space Center, return a craft without heat shield from Duna, or beat SpaceX at their own game by flying back the first stage of a rocket to the launch pad. These new scenarios will unlock these advanced topics for any player!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/developerarticles.html/kerbal-space-program-11-turbo-charged/&page=6#comment-1152

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Anyone who doesn't have this game yet should just be dragged into the street and shot.  :knuppel2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Sounds like just the thing I need to get back into KSP... haven't played in many months.

Agree with JH's sentiment ... KSP is a special game, and a masterpiece. One of the *very* few games I make sure to install on all my PCs.

Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2016, 09:16:20 AM
Anyone who doesn't have this game yet should just be dragged into the street and shot.  :knuppel2:

*Locks self in safe room and cowers*  Actually I do have it, but it's one of those games that I really like the idea of, but never seem to have the energy to play.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on April 20, 2016, 03:05:21 PM

*Locks self in safe room and cowers*  Actually I do have it, but it's one of those games that I really like the idea of, but never seem to have the energy to play.

The beauty of the game is that even failure is a ton of fun. Failing in spectacular and explosive fashion and then trying to learn from the failure is really what the game is all about. Sorting a problem and achieving your objective is extremely rewarding in this game, but the process of trial and error provides a joy in this game like no other.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

KSP definitely keeps you on your toes, if you're playing the career mode.  Not what I'd call a relaxing game, unless you're just goofing around with it in sandbox mode (totally legit way to play in its own right).

I remember the reason I stopped playing last time was that I could not for the life of me get the hang of rendezvousing in orbit. Did my 'due diligence' of internets research (folks interested should definitely check out Scott Manley's KSP vids on YouTube), but I just kept botching my attempts, and eventually gave up in frustration.

Getting into orbit is generally a piece of cake once you get the hang of it. But orbital maneuvers, that ain't so easy. (Landing on Mun and getting back to Kerbin -- I found that super challenging.)

JH is right though -- the sense of satisfaction you get from KSP for figuring out difficult tasks or mastering difficult skills is really pretty special.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Father Ted on April 20, 2016, 03:05:21 PM

This. It isn't even a question of trying and failing. I never get around to even trying!

Now that the career/campaign has finally arrived, I keep reminding myself toOOOOHSHINYTHINGOVERTHERETOPLAY! {glomp}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 20, 2016, 03:23:31 PM
KSP definitely keeps you on your toes, if you're playing the career mode.  Not what I'd call a relaxing game, unless you're just goofing around with it in sandbox mode (totally legit way to play in its own right).

I remember the reason I stopped playing last time was that I could not for the life of me get the hang of rendezvousing in orbit. Did my 'due diligence' of internets research (folks interested should definitely check out Scott Manley's KSP vids on YouTube), but I just kept botching my attempts, and eventually gave up in frustration.

Getting into orbit is generally a piece of cake once you get the hang of it. But orbital maneuvers, that ain't so easy. (Landing on Mun and getting back to Kerbin -- I found that super challenging.)

JH is right though -- the sense of satisfaction you get from KSP for figuring out difficult tasks or mastering difficult skills is really pretty special.

Alls I can say is that MechJeb makes KSP fun to play (for me) and not a chore, also I mostly play just sandbox mode.  My gaming time is limited enough as it is, so if Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin got Ground Control / NASA, I get MechJeb >:D

sandman2575

RE: MechJeb -- I've avoided this because it kinda seems to defeat the point of KSP (or what I take the point to be), which is the challenge of figuring out how to do the things that MechJeb automates for you. Still, I can understand the usefullnes of it if your m.o. is to build space stations and do grander things than just get Kerbals into orbit.

I'm also pretty reluctant to go down the modding rabbit hole with KSP, the way I have with too many other games. I've always played vanilla and kept my eyes averted from all the mod goodies...

steve58

Patch 1.1.1 now available.  Patch info here.

...however, there may be some hotfixes in the works for the 1.1.1 patch.  Saw this over on the GOG.com Kerbal forums:

Hey everyone,

Squad have asked us to hold out on rolling the patch as they've encountered a few nasty bugs and are working through hotfixes. We're working with them and as soon as they provide a patch that they're happy with, we'll roll it out :).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

https://www.gog.com/forum/kerbal_space_program/kerbal_space_program_111_aka_patch_1_for_11_is_out

Hofstadter

I honestly could never get into it, I found it so ridiculously tedious and just plain uninteresting :/
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hofstadter on April 30, 2016, 06:36:56 AM
I honestly could never get into it, I found it so ridiculously tedious and just plain uninteresting :/

You should probably see somebody about that problem...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

Quote from: Hofstadter on April 30, 2016, 06:36:56 AM

Did you try Career mode? It definitely gives some structure to the game and makes it less of a sandbox free-for-all.

OK if KSP just isn't your thing. But if you have *any* interest at all in rocketry or space exploration, KSP delivers some incredible experiences you won't find elsewhere.

steve58