Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on April 13, 2013, 10:24:52 PM
The guy on the right seems fairly stoked, but the other two look like they'd rather be anywhere else but in that rocket!

I haven't figured out if that means anything or not.

For a while I wasn't sure they're return to Kerbol. Then I wasn't sure they wouldn't burn up in the atmosphere. Then I wasn't sure their drag chute wouldn't burn up. Then I wasn't sure it would slow down enough. But miraculously, it did.

I don't know why this game is so fun, but it is.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

Just in time for the long weekend, version 0.20 is out. 7 new parts, flags and lots more..

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30553-KSP-0-20-Released
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on June 13, 2013, 04:16:30 PM
Kerbal Space Program is on sale @ Steam this weekend for $15.40.

Thanks for the heads up...maybe I finally pull the trigger, although I am sure $7 more would not have broken me:)

GJK

My 14yr old is completely addicted to this game/sim.  We've watched "The Right Stuff" and countless space documentaries off of Netflix and he's committed to reproducing each of the aircraft (Yager) and to get to space along the same lines as the Mercury and Apollo missions.  $15 for this "game" is a great deal and you really cannot go wrong with the price for this one.  A "must buy"- really.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on June 13, 2013, 04:16:30 PM
Kerbal Space Program is on sale @ Steam this weekend for $15.40.

Hell... I may even buy an extra copy of it for Steam at that price. 

Con

I see the Russians have subcontracted out to the Kerbal Space Building Program

Con

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

Squad has released a new version (0.21).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content.php/201

Here are the main features for this update:

* Revised Flight-End scene flow.
In preparation for Career gameplay, we've redesigned the way flights are ended. Gone is the 'End Flight' button in the Pause Menu, cause of many a tale of accidental space station deletion. Now, you'll either get to return to the Space Center (as before), or when applicable, Revert to an earlier state (to launch or to the editors).

* New Space Center Scene.
The most underdeveloped part of the game finally gets its much deserved overhaul, featuring new models for nearly all the facilities, plus a couple of new ones as well. Keep on reading for more details on them.

* The Astronaut Complex Facility.
Another huge feature in the making, the Astronaut Complex is a new building at the Space Center, that gives you an overview of all your available victims brave explorers, and lets you recruit new ones from a list of applicants.

* Crew Management
Along with the Astronaut Complex, this adds the ability to select the crew for a vessel before launch (from the launch sites or from the editors). Pick from the list of available crewmembers, and assign them to any (yes, any) part on the vessel.

* New VAB and SPH Interiors.
The insides of the construction facilities are also completely re-done, the models are not only vastly better-looking than before, they're far more efficient as well, so there's no performance tradeoff here.

* PSystem.
This was one of the biggest code overhauls we've ever pulled off. Now, instead of having everything duplicated in each of the game's scenes, all common elements like the scenery, game logic, ambience and the planetarium are created once and get reused. This means the world you see at the space center is now exactly the same as the one you see in flight, and in the tracking station. It also means much slicker transitions between scenes, as we don't have to respawn everything again.

* Overhauled SAS Flight Control Sytem.
Veteran players (and new ones alike) will be happy to know we've done away with the old Stability Augmentation System (or Sickness Avoidance Solution or whatever you want to call it) we had, which caused more flight stability problems than solutions sometimes, and re-built it completely from scratch. We can't understate how much of an improvement over the previous system this is.

* Much Improved terrain on Kerbin, the Mun, and other places.
New procedurally generated craters on the Mun, low hills around Kerbin, and a lot of other tweaks and optimization make for a much more interesting landscape to fly around and crash into land at.

* A Completely Redesigned Website.
Alex's secret project is finally revealed! Check it out.

Nefaro

Nice!

Sounds like they did some improvements on the scenery, along with some optimization.  8)

steve58

Version 0.22 is now live...and a new trailer.

* Career Mode:
- Career Mode is now open! Although still very much under development, you can now start new Career saves.
- Sandbox mode, of course, is also available from the start.

* Research and Development:
- Added the Research & Development Facility to the Space Center.
- R&D allows players to unlock parts (and later other stuff) by researching nodes on the Tech Tree (In Career Mode).

* Science:
- Researching requires Science, which must be earned by performing experiments during your missions.
- You can now collect surface samples while on EVA, and process them to do Science.
- Science experiments return results, which are different for each situation in which the experiment is performed.
- Experiments can (as all proper experiments must) be repeated over many different situations across the whole Solar System.
- Added a new dialog to show the results of experiments when reviewing the collected data.
- Added a new dialog to show a breakdown of all scientific progress made after recovering a mission.

* Parts:
- Added new scientific parts, like the Materials Bay and the Mystery Goo™ Canister. Also added experiments to many existing parts.
- The old science sensors now have a purpose. They all have their own experiments which enable them to log scientific data.
- The antennas are now functional, and can be used to transmit science data back to Kerbin, if recovering the physical experiments is not an option.
- Antennas consume massive amounts of power when transmitting. Make sure you have fresh batteries in.
- Added a new deployable antenna, which is an intermediate model compared to the two original ones.
- Completely remodelled the Communotron 88-88 Comms Dish. The new mesh uses the same placement rules so it won't break ships that have it.
- Nose Cones now actually help with improving stability during atmospheric flight.
- Revised a lot of part values and descriptions, in preparation for them actually meaning something in the near future.
- Overhauled the landing legs and gears, they now have proper shock-absorbing suspensions.

* Editor:
- Added a system to allow saving and loading of Sub-Assemblies.
- Subassemblies are subsets of spacecraft, which can later be attached to other designs and re-used.

* Space Center:
- The KSC Facilities have all been revised, and feature new ground meshes and many other graphical improvements.
- Greatly improved the Island Airfield.
- Added lighting FX to several facilities. The Runway (among many other things) is now properly lit at night.
- Added a new backdrop and soundtrack for the Astronaut Complex Facility.
- Added a new music track for the R&D Facility.

* Flight:
- It is now possible to recover a flight after landing/splashdown on Kerbin without going through the Tracking Station. Look above the Altimeter.
- The SAS system was again largely overhauled, based on all the feedback we've gotten from everyone. It's now stabler than ever.

* Solar System:
- Celestial Bodies now support Biome Maps, which are used to create different conditions for experiments.
- Biomes are currently implemented on Kerbin and on the Mun, more will be added on later updates.

* Launcher:
- We've got a new launcher application for KSP, featuring a news bulletin, patcher management, and also allows you to tweak settings from outside the game.

* Windows and OSX Installers:
- The KSPStore version of the game can now also be downloaded as an installer wizard on Windows, and as a .dmg image on OSX.

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:
* Fixed an issue that caused a stream of errors to be thrown after planting a flag and opening the map.
* Fixed several minor and not-so-minor issues with scene transitions.
* Greatly improved the scene transition times. Loading delays between scenes should be significantly reduced.
* The SAS indicator on the UI now changes colors to indicate when your input is overriding it.

GJK

Well now.  Looks like they've added a thing or two since the initial alpha release.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

steve58

em2nought

Quote from: GJK on June 13, 2013, 09:01:24 PM
My 14yr old is completely addicted to this game/sim.  We've watched "The Right Stuff" and countless space documentaries off of Netflix and he's committed to reproducing each of the aircraft (Yager) and to get to space along the same lines as the Mercury and Apollo missions.  $15 for this "game" is a great deal and you really cannot go wrong with the price for this one.  A "must buy"- really.

You've got to show this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5REsCTG4-Gg to your kid if he hasn't already seen it.  Great science fair project!
Stolen elections have consequences.

BanzaiCat

Wow...this thread has opened my eyes to this game. Originally when I saw it on Steam some time ago it looked like a silly, dumb sim. Glad I read through this, I might pick it up now!