Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I should have thought of asking Neil deGrasse Tyson about this game when I saw him last week.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:54:20 AM
I should have thought of asking Neil deGrasse Tyson about this game when I saw him last week.

A lot of controversy surrounding that cat these days.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 08:02:20 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:54:20 AM

A lot of controversy surrounding that cat these days.

Yeah, though I don't recall him doing a lot of quotes in his speech. He stuck with a basic 'science in schools needs to be better' approach and highlighted it with some of his own history (though I suppose that could have been fabricated as well).

sandman2575

Quote from: RooksBailey on November 03, 2014, 01:40:27 AM
The release of the new Buzz Aldrin game reminded me of this game, so I decided to jump in and see what changes were implemented over the last few months.  I really like the new economy mode!  Well done! 

Same here. The buzz about BASPM (yes, pun intended) inspired me to load up KSP for the first time in well over a year. The game has progressed a lot! The career mode was all news to me.

Spent last night building a SR-71 mock-up space plane (which I cleverly named the "KR-71"). Thing looked sweet but was barely air-worthy. This game taps into my inner Lego-building-7-year-old like none other. (Never got into Minecraft.)

Don't think I'll take the dive on BASPM, although the price is certainly right. Just seems too dry compared to KSP. Not being able to actually design anything is a deal-breaker for me.

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 04, 2014, 04:24:43 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on November 03, 2014, 01:40:27 AM
The release of the new Buzz Aldrin game reminded me of this game, so I decided to jump in and see what changes were implemented over the last few months.  I really like the new economy mode!  Well done! 

Same here. The buzz about BASPM (yes, pun intended) inspired me to load up KSP for the first time in well over a year. The game has progressed a lot! The career mode was all news to me.

Spent last night building a SR-71 mock-up space plane (which I cleverly named the "KR-71"). Thing looked sweet but was barely air-worthy. This game taps into my inner Lego-building-7-year-old like none other. (Never got into Minecraft.)

Don't think I'll take the dive on BASPM, although the price is certainly right. Just seems too dry compared to KSP. Not being able to actually design anything is a deal-breaker for me.

I've been tempted, but still putting it off until the economic & pilot training side is also feature complete.  The economic facet interests me as much as the launches and space travel so I want the 'new car' smell in it's full glory when it's near completion. 

Already had some fun with building rockets and manually landing on Minmus before, but I may actually use MechJeb for some stuff when I make my return.  Mods like that are practically essential for reaching other planets in the system, due to the fine timing calculations required.

RooksBailey

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 04, 2014, 04:24:43 PM

I hear you on that!  I used to love to build model rockets and launch them when I was in college.  This is the closest I have come to that fun experience.   :)

QuoteDon't think I'll take the dive on BASPM, although the price is certainly right. Just seems too dry compared to KSP. Not being able to actually design anything is a deal-breaker for me.

I actually sort of like the more "dry" approach of BASPM.  Not as a substitute but as a compliment to KSP.  The only thing that tempers my enthusiasm for BASPM is the fact that we are currently limited to the 50s-70s.  I look forward to the day when we can play straight through to the present day and beyond!

Quote from: NefaroI've been tempted, but still putting it off until the economic & pilot training side is also feature complete.  The economic facet interests me as much as the launches and space travel so I want the 'new car' smell in it's full glory when it's near completion. 

Already had some fun with building rockets and manually landing on Minmus before, but I may actually use MechJeb for some stuff when I make my return.  Mods like that are practically essential for reaching other planets in the system, due to the fine timing calculations required.

I also want the pilot training/guidance stuff in there ASAP.  That is the thing that always keeps me from playing KSP for long.  I always get to a portion of the game where I need to do some precise maneuver, something that requires me to run off to the forums or Youtube and locate some sort of "how to" guide or video, which also requires a "how to" guide to understand the steps and terminology contained within.  ;D  It becomes very frustrating and tedious.  That is pretty much when I lose interest.  The game desperately needs some automation so that less scientifically inclined players can still make it to the Mun and other planets without taking a self-taught course in astrophysics.   :) 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

steve58

KSP is BETA than ever.

New features, highlights, etc here.

KSP 0.90 has been released...and as to why it went from 0.25 to 0.90?

What happened to 0.26 to 0.89? Why did you skip straight to 0.90?

We're going to call our first Beta version KSP v0.90.0 (zero-ninety-zero, or oh-ninety-oh if you live across the pond), to make it clear to everyone that KSP is nearing a state of completion. Of course, that doesn't mean we plan to do exactly 10 Beta patches to reach 1.0. It could be more, it could be less, we can't tell. If we run past 0.99. the next version could be 0.100.0, or we could change the system a bit, and increment the revision numbers instead, depending on how much we feel a release has added. In a way, Beta updates really are more like revision patches actually. We'll keep announcing new releases as we have always done in any case, so just hang around the community and you'll never miss a release.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Squad has announced that the official Kerbal Space Program 1.0 release will be on April 27.  O0

...this Kerbal forum thread has an unofficial list of 1.0 features.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: steve58 on April 21, 2015, 09:28:55 AM
Squad has announced that the official Kerbal Space Program 1.0 release will be on April 27.  O0

...this Kerbal forum thread has an unofficial list of 1.0 features.

Wow...it has been in beta so long....  Glad to see it come out.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

steve58

...and KSP 1.0 is now live.  Current price is $29.99, going up to $39.99 on May 1.

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Staggerwing

The dev's logo

always reminds me of Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Freyland

What is the final goal of the game? I get that it is fun to build and fail, but I am fuzzy about what exactly happens once you become capable of space exploration.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Freyland on April 27, 2015, 10:55:55 PM
What is the final goal of the game? I get that it is fun to build and fail, but I am fuzzy about what exactly happens once you become capable of space exploration.

There's a career mode.