Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This is the wrong game to be showing remarkable restraint. The developers have really created something special. They deserve the support of your purchase. You've all probably bought so much junk software that has never been touched, yet one of the few true revolutionary gems is here and you won't buy it, why?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Agreed. Any game worth playing is going to take some time to learn. Once you get the hang of the basics, the "learning" is what becomes fun. Trying to design and launch a trip to the Mun take all of work...but the failed attempts are just as fun as the success. You can't look at the game as a series of things you have to learn before you get the good part. The learning is the good part
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 01, 2015, 04:21:57 PM
Jeez, they add a LOT to this game, and so many have trouble just getting a Kerbal up and down again without blowing up or dying from sudden deceleration trauma. I really need to get this eventually, though I fear I don't have the patience to trial-and-error my way through a giant physics sandbox.

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 01, 2015, 05:04:35 PM

Same here.  For once I'm showing remarkable restraint.  I love the idea of the game but the combination of an easily-distracted mind and limited playtime means I'll probably see about 1% of what the game has to offer.  There's just no point buying it, as much as I want it.

You guys are really missing out. 

I didn't think the learning curve was too difficult, at least compared to some of the strategy & sim games I own.  I'm a bit familiar with the physics of space travel but didn't know the fine details; learned some with KSA.  When I first started, back in Alpha, there wasn't much in the way of a tutorial but what it had was enough to start and I'm pretty sure it's much more fleshed out nowadays. 

Besides there are some superb beginner YouTube vids that can get you doing the initial stuff in one vid. 

And the fun is in the trial & error.  Well.... building for it & specific goals.  It's an excellent mix of Manager Sim & Light Flight Sim.   O0

KSA is probably one of the highest value games I've purchased in the past few years.  Top three, at the least.

jomni

KSP is one of those really nice games that  I don't play.   It's there in my HDD but there are just other games out there that  I like playing more than this.

My early experience is that the game is too sandbox and I hated that. No story, no limitations, no consequences. Now that there's economy, it should be a bit more structured right?

Yskonyn

Yup I agree! With all the aparent throwing of money at obscure and mediocre titles around here I am surprised at the restraint towards throwing money at KSP!

Its a very original game and lots of fun!
The learning curve is not that high either, especially not if you take a look at Scott Manley's beginners video's on YT.

Go for it guys !
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Owned it since the early days of pre-access and still have less than 4 hours total play time because I simply cannot get the GOD DAMNED JOYSTICK to work.  I tried flying with the keyboard but it just feels wrong.

Yskonyn

Well, I don't know of any soul who actually needed a joystick in this game.
Its perfectly controllable with a keyboard only as long as you keep balance of the spacecraft in mind. Also 'T' turns on the stabiliser (works only if a pilot is flying, not for the engineer or Scientist
) which tells Jeb to help you pilot the craft.
This is not FS or DCS by any standard. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pinetree

Quote from: jomni on July 02, 2015, 02:47:24 AM
KSP is one of those really nice games that  I don't play.   It's there in my HDD but there are just other games out there that  I like playing more than this.

My early experience is that the game is too sandbox and I hated that. No story, no limitations, no consequences. Now that there's economy, it should be a bit more structured right?
Try the career mode. You start off with limited rocket parts where you have contracts to fulfil. You also must complete science experiments so you can get more advanced parts
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

steve58

I bought into KSP way back around v0.17.  It was definitely the best $10 I've ever spent on a game.  Since its out of early access, the price has gone up a bit, but I'd still buy it today at full price.  KSP also has a great modding community; tons of mods to play around with...MechJeb is must have (for me anyway).  With the stock parts and all the mods, what you can create with KSP is limited only by your imagination.

@SDR -- what joystick are you trying to use?  I've never felt the need to use one (but then I use MechJeb and don't mess with the space planes (yet)).  I've read that the Fly-By-Wire mod has helped some who had joystick issues.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Skwerl

I really want to buy this game.  However, I played the demo when it first came out (a very early demo I think) and it absolutely kicked my ass. Has it become any more playable (ay least for chimps like me) since the early days?

The bottom line is that I'd love to play this game, but I don't want to shell out the asking price if all I'm ever going to be able to do is replicate the North Korean missile program.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skwerl on July 02, 2015, 08:24:03 AM
I really want to buy this game.  However, I played the demo when it first came out (a very early demo I think) and it absolutely kicked my ass. Has it become any more playable (ay least for chimps like me) since the early days?

The bottom line is that I'd love to play this game, but I don't want to shell out the asking price if all I'm ever going to be able to do is replicate the North Korean missile program.

Once again, half...no, maybe more than half of the fun is failure. Its brilliant fun to have a rocket spin out of control, explode or simply fall apart. Its then also very enjoyable to explore what went wrong in an effort to fix the problem. This is one of the few games I have ever played where failing and sucking at it is actually enjoyable.  At the same time, few games offer such a rewarding feeling when a design works and the mission is accomplished.

KSP is definitely on my top 10 greatest games of all time list.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

For those of you wondering wether the game is more structured since early versions, or those having trouble getting stuff done, please do yourself a favour and follow these video's : http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEkUeJRCh083UT-Lq5ZIKI75

It'll flatten the learning curve and get you up and running with your own space program before you know it. ( No joystick required! ;) )

Skwerl

Thanks for the advice.  I think I'll go ahead and pick this one up.

Capn Darwin

It's a great game and fun to play. I'm still waiting for the fix for aerodynamic centers on rocket bodies. Either the graphic is off or the bodies do not have one. This causes tumble issues at high altitude that should not happen. Adding aerodynamic fins solves the problem,but I should be able to launch without them as well.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Capn Darwin on July 02, 2015, 09:28:33 AM
It's a great game and fun to play. I'm still waiting for the fix for aerodynamic centers on rocket bodies. Either the graphic is off or the bodies do not have one. This causes tumble issues at high altitude that should not happen. Adding aerodynamic fins solves the problem,but I should be able to launch without them as well.

This is the one thing that has frustrated me in the game. The problem I believe is with the mathematics in the air density at altitude. Its one thing if you can understand what is causing the problem and then correct it, but when the same failure event occurs over and over no matter what changes the player makes, that causes frustration with the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog