Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bobarossa on March 31, 2024, 07:01:47 AMDo you guys think the average 20 year old in our countries have any more common sense regarding warfare?
No
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on March 31, 2024, 10:13:07 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 31, 2024, 08:46:34 AMyes
I'm talking about people who aren't trained since most Russian recruits are getting almost no training.

+1. Not only are they barely trained, but I presume there are very low standards in Russia for what constitutes fit for combat duty. It would not be surprising to find that a high proportion of recruits have generally low IQ, and suffer from a variety of mental (or moral) and physical disabilities that under ordinary circumstances would render them entirely unfit for service. Even in the US at times of conscription, recruits have fallen through the cracks and made it into training when they were very obviously categorized (or should have been categorized) as 4-F. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Crossroads

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 01, 2024, 10:32:08 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on March 31, 2024, 10:13:07 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 31, 2024, 08:46:34 AMyes
I'm talking about people who aren't trained since most Russian recruits are getting almost no training.

+1. Not only are they barely trained, but I presume there are very low standards in Russia for what constitutes fit for combat duty. It would not be surprising to find that a high proportion of recruits have generally low IQ, and suffer from a variety of mental (or moral) and physical disabilities that under ordinary circumstances would render them entirely unfit for service. Even in the US at times of conscription, recruits have fallen through the cracks and made it into training when they were very obviously categorized (or should have been categorized) as 4-F.

What I've read from multiple sources is they widely continue to use mobiks as cannon fodder for identifying Ukrainian positions, then attacking those with indirect fire and UAVs, then having more experience troops go forward. Rinse and repat.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Jarhead0331

One of my favorite books when I was a kid was a mother book on the Vietnam War. It has awesome pictures, maps, charts, and information. i would practically sleep with it at my bedside. One of the many pages that stuck out in my mind despite the passage of decades was this one.

This discussion made me think of it and pull the book from my shelf. Brings back a lot of memories. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^That is...heartbreaking.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: bobarossa on March 31, 2024, 07:01:47 AMDo you guys think the average 20 year old in our countries have any more common sense regarding warfare?

I think so. I have had the chance to work with active duty US military folks off-and-on for the last 30 years. It is a professional force, and the soldiers I have come into contact with are generally pretty damn good. I walk away thinking the future is in good hands.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 02, 2024, 06:02:20 AMthats a large "drone"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1775039250519462293

I thought Klawbunga was in KaliforniaStan.  You learn something new every day!

Uberhaus

I wondered how the drone was able to penetrate so far into Russian airspace, not that they [the Russians] are particularly successful.
Then I noticed the strong resemblance to a light aircraft such as a Cessna.  I would really hate to be a Russian private pilot going forward.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Uberhaus on April 02, 2024, 09:30:04 AMI wondered how the drone was able to penetrate so far into Russian airspace, not that they are particularly successful.
Then I noticed the strong resemblance to a light aircraft such as a Cessna.  I would really hate to be a Russian private pilot going forward.

It seems that Russian reports are speculating that it was a manned "kamikaze."  But I think those reports are just for domestic Russian consumption. "Kamikaze" doesn't fit the Ukrainian profile, and the Ukrainians certainly aren't that desperate.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

FarAway Sooner

You guys just keep droning on about this topic.

:Party:

Uberhaus

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 02, 2024, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Uberhaus on April 02, 2024, 09:30:04 AMI wondered how the drone was able to penetrate so far into Russian airspace, not that they are particularly successful.

It seems that Russian reports are speculating that it was a manned "kamikaze."  But I think those reports are just for domestic Russian consumption. "Kamikaze" doesn't fit the Ukrainian profile, and the Ukrainians certainly aren't that desperate.
Did the Russians say it was a Nazi, ISIS, Western lackey, existential threat to Mother Russia... kamikaze?  The Russian leaders are totally out to lunch, and if you don't mind, I'll segue into how much so. 
The Iranians warned the Russians of a major terrorist attack:  https://www.reuters.com/world/iran-alerted-russia-security-threat-before-moscow-attack-sources-say-2024-04-01/

Obviously, ISIS carried out this attack, but maybe the Kremlin isn't stupid, but crazy enough to allow the attack to go ahead to exploit for their own purposes.