Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Its hard to accept the fact that the game was released yesterday, I've played under two hours, and I'm already looking forward to future DLC. For whatever reason, this doesn't bother me as much as I feel it should. Maybe its because the core of the game is so solid, and what is already there is enjoyable?

Still, the primary motivating factor behind my excitement over this game was the prospect of it having the kind of complexity that Paradox pulled off with its flagship titles. The realization that this level of complexity may be absent from Stellaris at the moment is somewhat disappointing to me. Without it, Stellaris is just another traditional 4x, albeit, a highly polished and highly configurable one.

If you are a 4x fan, Stellaris is still a must by in my opinion. However, do not go into it expecting CKII in space. Its just not there yet. 

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Kushan

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2016, 10:22:42 AM
Its hard to accept the fact that the game was released yesterday, I've played under two hours, and I'm already looking forward to future DLC. For whatever reason, this doesn't bother me as much as I feel it should. Maybe its because the core of the game is so solid, and what is already there is enjoyable?

Still, the primary motivating factor behind my excitement over this game was the prospect of it having the kind of complexity that Paradox pulled off with its flagship titles. The realization that this level of complexity may be absent from Stellaris at the moment is somewhat disappointing to me. Without it, Stellaris is just another traditional 4x, albeit, a highly polished and highly configurable one.

If you are a 4x fan, Stellaris is still a must by in my opinion. However, do not go into it expecting CKII in space. Its just not there yet.

I'm in the process of writing up my initial impressions. So far I'm really loving the game. As for it it not being as complex CK2 or EUIV I think that maybe a little unfair. Sure I wish something where deeper like the  economy but if anything I feel like CK2 and EUIV have become bloated. Still fun to play, but it systems on top of systems that at times the AI has issues dealing with. To me, Stellaris feels a lot like EUIV at release and I don't think that's a bad thing.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

That's a good point actually, Kushan.
I remember when EU4 released similar arguments were fielded about its accessibility and streamlinedness vs depth. The EU4 of today is a totally different beast as far as mechanics and systems are concerned.
Not a totally different game, mind you, but indeed more things to fiddle with. I have no doubt Stellaris will follow a similar path.

It's a fun game to play, no less. And that's what will keep me coming back.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Kushan on May 10, 2016, 10:29:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2016, 10:22:42 AM

I'm in the process of writing up my initial impressions. So far I'm really loving the game. As for it it not being as complex CK2 or EUIV I think that maybe a little unfair. Sure I wish something where deeper like the  economy but if anything I feel like CK2 and EUIV have become bloated. Still fun to play, but it systems on top of systems that at times the AI has issues dealing with. To me, Stellaris feels a lot like EUIV at release and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Why is my opinion unfair? I was hoping for CKII complexity in a space 4x. Your opinion may differ and I respect that, but that doesn't mean my opinion is unfair or unreasonable...

Again, I like the game so far, its just not exactly what I was hoping for.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Fetrik

Not sure this was answered by anyone, but you shift-click to que orders.

Quote from: ghostryder on May 09, 2016, 11:14:26 PM
I'm wondering if I can give multiple orders to a contructor, for example? If I click on a second sight to build a mine it currently changes the order---perhaps alt-click--who knows? those type of things will need to be asked on the forum or read in the online wiki--which is linked from within the game via the ? menu.

Rayfer

A question for those who have played both Stellaris and the recent 4X game Polaris Sector.....is it fair to compare the two and if so which is the better buy for the $$$ spent? I can't afford both yet both have appeal.

Barthheart

I've played both.... I think Stellaris is going to get more play from me. Polaris Sector has some really cool ideas, like the epic time span to build ships, but I think in the end it won't be a deep an experience as Stellaris.

Stellaris is far prettier.

In Polaris Sector, you can control the tactical combat.

If Polaris Sector gets some interesting updates or expansions I'll be back to it... and you just know that Stellaris will get that treatment from PDox.

I vote get both.  :D Even if you can't do that right away.

kludger

Quote from: Fetrik on May 10, 2016, 11:01:17 AM

Thanks for that tip, was wondering the same thing, and I probably missed the tutorial text that mentions it.

Ian C

Did they put in a Delete button for old game saves?

Fetrik

Quote from: kludger on May 10, 2016, 11:41:31 AM
Quote from: Fetrik on May 10, 2016, 11:01:17 AM

Thanks for that tip, was wondering the same thing, and I probably missed the tutorial text that mentions it.

I think i picked up that tip from Quill18 or Arumba.

PanzersEast

My foreign policy.....

Game over man.... Game  Over

tgb

Quote from: Ian C on May 10, 2016, 12:29:06 PM
Did they put in a Delete button for old game saves?

On the left hand side of the load screen, there's an icon of a trash can.  Press that and delete buttons will appear on all of your saves.

Capn Darwin

Damn you people and your peer pressure.  :tickedoff:

More money on games I have little free time to play...maybe in the few days after Origins and before No Man's Sky.  O0

Look pretty good though...
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 10, 2016, 01:50:04 PM
Damn you people and your peer pressure.  :tickedoff:

More money on games I have little free time to play...maybe in the few days after Origins and before No Man's Sky.  O0

Look pretty good though...

Jump in... the water's warm and the beers are cold.  Ya know ya wanna... O0

Rayfer

Quote from: Barthheart on May 10, 2016, 11:28:51 AM
I've played both.... I think Stellaris is going to get more play from me. Polaris Sector has some really cool ideas, like the epic time span to build ships, but I think in the end it won't be a deep an experience as Stellaris.

Stellaris is far prettier.

In Polaris Sector, you can control the tactical combat.

If Polaris Sector gets some interesting updates or expansions I'll be back to it... and you just know that Stellaris will get that treatment from PDox.

I vote get both.  :D Even if you can't do that right away.

Found Stellaris on CDkeys.com for $30.25 and couldn't resist. Downloading now.