Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Diplomacy needs a lot of work. Why are my diplomatic responses so limited based upon my government type? I'm a Military Republic. Why do I always have to sound like a cold-hearted a$$hole in all my dealings? I mean, surely even tyrants, dictators and despots can have wise and/or deceptive diplomacy. They need to fix this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2016, 07:29:15 AM
Diplomacy needs a lot of work. Why are my diplomatic responses so limited based upon my government type? I'm a Military Republic. Why do I always have to sound like a cold-hearted a$$hole in all my dealings? I mean, surely even tyrants, dictators and despots can have wise and/or deceptive diplomacy. They need to fix this.

To me the diplo reeks of "awaiting DLC". It just seemed way too vanilla knowing what Pdox has done in the past.

I do like the concept they put in about non FTL races that may be existing  on other worlds
Insert witty comment here.

Barthheart

Quote from: jamus34 on May 13, 2016, 07:36:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2016, 07:29:15 AM

To me the diplo reeks of "awaiting DLC". It just seemed way too vanilla knowing what Pdox has done in the past.

I do like the concept they put in about non FTL races that may be existing  on other worlds

I found one of those pre-FTL worlds. They are currently in the atomic age and the people are split up into large states with a high state of friction between them... I'm observing them to see if they survive...  O0

solops

The more I play the less I like it. I feel like I am trapped in this artificial maze of arcane rules rather running an empire to crush my foes and rule the galaxy. Sectors, war goals, etc.... I don't think much of that kind of stuff right now. If I am the overlord then I'll make my "sectors" function how I darn well please. Since they work the same for all races, the current unwieldy and bizarre "sector" system is apparently a game artifact to help the AI run its empires and/or to handicap humans to help the AI remain competitive. A lot of the game seems to follow this pattern. I will give it more time, but after I learn the game, I am not sure if it is going to be fun or not.  And talk about lack of documentation! First Paradox game ever with no manual and for a game that truly needs one! If they think a stupid on-line Wiki is adequate, then I question their ethics. I want a downloadable PDF. This thing needs study just to figure out what the rules are.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jamus34

Quote from: solops on May 13, 2016, 10:47:28 AM
The more I play the less I like it. I feel like I am trapped in this artificial maze of arcane rules rather running an empire to crush my foes and rule the galaxy. Sectors, war goals, etc.... I don't think much of that kind of stuff right now. If I am the overlord then I'll make my "sectors" function how I darn well please. Since they function the same for all races, the current unwieldy and bizarre "sector" system is apparently an game artifact to help the AI run its empires and remain competitive with the humans. A lot of the game seems to follow this pattern. I will give it more time, but after I learn the game, I am not sure if it is going to be fun or not.

I have not been in a war yet but I can see that being an issue from what I have been hearing from some people. I like sectors on paper, IE you are a grand ruler you should not be micro'ing your entire empire. My issues with it is more on implementation. You can seriously screw up your economy if you do not set up the Sector correctly.
Overall it seems like typical paradox for better or worse. The research system is innovative and the random event generator probably the strongest part of the game.
Trade, combat and (surprisingly) diplomacy are the weak parts.

solops

Quote from: jamus34 on May 13, 2016, 10:54:18 AM
Overall it seems like typical paradox for better or worse.

I was hoping for better.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jamus34

If someone could take the resource and diplomacy depth from DW:U the combat and shipbuilding from PS, the merge the spying / intrigue from  both those titles and take the exploration and random events plus the empire builder from Stellaris and I think you'd have one damn good game

Jarhead0331

I'm starting to lean towards the solops camp. I'm finding the game is putting me to sleep every night since release. If something isn't done to seriously shape it up, it could turn out to possibly be the biggest disappointment of the year for me. The interface is slick, the look is right, the customization of races is commendable, the random events are interesting, but everything else feels incomplete and hollow. No supply issues, no fuel, no tactical combat, no sense of time or distance, etc. It just doesn't feel epic to me, at all.  I think the glowing reviews are actually quite disingenuous at this point. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Freyland

When Polaris was coming out, I eagerly bought it but since I was still enthralled with my Xcom2 campaign(s), I never started it.  Now, with all the complaints about AI travel cheats (and lack of response from developers?), I don't feel bad waiting until further patching is done.  I also preordered Stellaris, salivating for its release.  Then it finally shows, and I still cant pull myself away from Xcom2, despite how foolish I feel for letting another 4x space game slip by me.  After reading this thread and others, I'm starting to not feel so badly.

mikeck

Is there a manual
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Anguille

I wish that MOO3 would have the graphics from Stellaris....

Barthheart

Quote from: mikeck on May 13, 2016, 01:18:35 PM
Is there a manual

No.... there is a wiki site....  :P

ghostryder

I've never yet made it to the endgame (I find myself restarting a lot and making new races) but what I've been reading is it's pretty grindy. And the 'sector' mechanic is being panned huge--not on steam but on Paradox's forum. I can see the points---because of the shallowness of leaders---with no dynasty mechanic--which is why it works in CKII---as these governors would be your sons or nephews---here it's rather empty-not to mention the A.I. isn't doing a good job of running sectors. I think they went too simplistic. An expansion could go a long way with dealing with it--but in the mean time there's mods that remove it completely for now.

I'm not at the "dissapointed' area yet-but the game really needs content in a bunch of areas. Mods could help too, but at this point there's no meaty mods at all. In fact the bulk of them are pretty bad- and all are one trick ponies doing just one thing.

The game will undoubtedly grow--and seeing a 3 page plus hate thread on Paradox's forums over sectors I think it's safe to say that's likely the next DLC to come.

OJsDad

Quote from: jamus34 on May 13, 2016, 07:36:03 AM

In my current game, I've found several of those, at different levels of development, but I have no idea what to do with them.  Can I colonize them or is my only option to invade. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

One thing I think Sectors need is more visibility.  Right now I have no idea what their doing.  Do they have their own Constructor ships?  They don't seem to be building any Mining or Research stations in their area of control.  What about their planets, are they developing them.  I don't want control, I just want to know what's going on. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.