Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 02:41:07 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on May 13, 2016, 07:36:03 AM
I do like the concept they put in about non FTL races that may be existing  on other worlds

In my current game, I've found several of those, at different levels of development, but I have no idea what to do with them.  Can I colonize them or is my only option to invade.
Right now all I know is you can build observation stations for a small science benefit. I think you can eventually develop them into a FTL capable vassal.
Insert witty comment here.

OJsDad

Thanks.

Which brings me two other issues. 

1.  It you have the option to turn on details, but its an all or nothing.  This causes map clutter.  Let me choose how much information I want to see.  I don't want to see all of resources I'm getting by system, just where there are resources I'm not harvesting yet.  Same with planets that I could colonize if I had the tech.  Also, on the galaxy map, there is no way to find the pre-FTL planets,  you need to go through them system by system.

2.  When I click on a ship or planet on the right hand panel, center me on it.  Don't make be go looking for it.

3.  All of the ship icon on the galaxy map are the same.  I have no way of knowing if it's a science ship, builder, or fleet.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

One more thought, I'm having fun overall.  It's hard to pull myself away.  Still a lot to learn and somethings that I would like to see improved, but having fun.

Oh, and I really need to get and try CKII. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jamus34

As far as #1 there is a little trick here. If you have a construction ship selected it will show all systems that both already have mining set up and ones that don't.
Same with colonization, select a colonization ship and it will show all systems that have colonizable worlds by using a planet icon. Even better the color of the icon will be coded based on the planet with the highest hab.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 03:06:54 PM
One more thought, I'm having fun overall.  It's hard to pull myself away.  Still a lot to learn and somethings that I would like to see improved, but having fun.

Oh, and I really need to get and try CKII.

This is the problem I seem to be having. I'm just not enjoying it. As I said before...it is literally putting me to sleep. Its been awhile since I played a game that consistently did that to me. I'm not entirely sure why I'm disliking it so much other than what I've already stated. It really makes me want to go back to Polaris Sector or Distant Worlds.  :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 03:02:31 PM
Thanks.

Which brings me two other issues. 

1.  It you have the option to turn on details, but its an all or nothing.  This causes map clutter.  Let me choose how much information I want to see.  I don't want to see all of resources I'm getting by system, just where there are resources I'm not harvesting yet.  Same with planets that I could colonize if I had the tech.  Also, on the galaxy map, there is no way to find the pre-FTL planets,  you need to go through them system by system.

Details can be toggled to full or contextual, such as highlighting planets when you have a colony ship selected.  I'm not sure what else they could've done?

Quote2.  When I click on a ship or planet on the right hand panel, center me on it.  Don't make be go looking for it.

Just double click.  Or click the camera focus icon.

Quote3.  All of the ship icon on the galaxy map are the same.  I have no way of knowing if it's a science ship, builder, or fleet.

Yep, can't argue with this one.

OJsDad

Thanks Huw.  I the double click to center on a select should help a lot.  I was using the camera button to do that.

On the galaxy details, having the options to turn on what you want to see would help.  If I'm wanting to see where non-FTL planets are, then turn on that on.  If I don't want to know about them, then I can turn it off.  In previous Paradox games there were a number of context maps that allowed you to filter on what you wanted to see.

bbmike

I'm still having a blast with it. My second game is a lizard race. I'm playing on a tiny map with two other AI players. I haven't been drawn into a game like this in a while. I feel like I'm managing an empire and love the fact things move along at a steady, non-hectic pace. There is a great foundation here and I think Paradox will make this a classic through DLC.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 02:43:05 PM
One thing I think Sectors need is more visibility.  Right now I have no idea what their doing.  Do they have their own Constructor ships?  They don't seem to be building any Mining or Research stations in their area of control.  What about their planets, are they developing them.  I don't want control, I just want to know what's going on. 

Sectors don't build anything outside of planets, that's down to you.  They do develop the planets though, and you have some very coarse control over this on the empire screen (planets tab).  You can also set the "resource tithe" as I call it.

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
On the galaxy details, having the options to turn on what you want to see would help.  If I'm wanting to see where non-FTL planets are, then turn on that on.  If I don't want to know about them, then I can turn it off.  In previous Paradox games there were a number of context maps that allowed you to filter on what you wanted to see.

Ah, I'm with you now.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure they've said they will add map modes.

Quote from: bbmike on May 13, 2016, 03:20:46 PM
I'm still having a blast with it. My second game is a lizard race. I'm playing on a tiny map with two other AI players. I haven't been drawn into a game like this in a while. I feel like I'm managing an empire and love the fact things move along at a steady, non-hectic pace. There is a great foundation here and I think Paradox will make this a classic through DLC.

Same here mate.  I'm already hopelessly smitten, and the thought of what else Paradox will bring when they follow their usual DLC strategy....well, a single pair of pants is not enough to contain my excitement!

JudgeDredd

I'm starting to feel like others here.

I've got 7 hours in game and I've expanded like this

There's a massive universe out there - granted - but so far there really isn't a lot going on AT ALL. All I'm doing is surveying systems, building mining stations, populating the occasional planet (I have 4 at the moment) and building base buildings. I haven't had to fight a solitary thing (I'm not overly bothered about that to be honest - just mentioning it because it would be "something else to do"). There's been no populations discovered as yet.

There are elections I don't seem to have a lot of influence on, though I admit I've not looked into it a lot. I did (the first time) spend a huge amount of Influence trying to support a leader. I made a new race and used the trait for 5 year elections thinking that was plenty - and it's not. 5 years comes around awful fast - even at the agreed Normal "steady" pace...not hectic which is good.

What else has happened. Recruitment of leaders/governors, admirals, scientists. I've noticed, from time to time, a scientist seems to go awol (or die...no idea) but there's not been any warning and the only way I notice is when I go to select a new research and I notice one is missing.

I had hoped for something a bit deeper than MOO and honestly I haven't really seen it yet.

It's not all bad admittedly...there's a lot of good and I'll soldier on. Perhaps things will spice up...but I have no idea what can possibly show up anytime soon to make this spark.
Alba gu' brath

jamus34

I never had a scientist disappear but yeah deaths happen and it seemed to hit me with a year or two of each other. So now I'm scrambling to fill scout ships with 5 star researchers for the tough anomalies.

OJsDad

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 13, 2016, 03:36:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 02:43:05 PM
One thing I think Sectors need is more visibility.  Right now I have no idea what their doing.  Do they have their own Constructor ships?  They don't seem to be building any Mining or Research stations in their area of control.  What about their planets, are they developing them.  I don't want control, I just want to know what's going on. 

Sectors don't build anything outside of planets, that's down to you.  They do develop the planets though, and you have some very coarse control over this on the empire screen (planets tab).  You can also set the "resource tithe" as I call it.

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I think that's where the disappointment comes from for people.  If I create a sector with both colonized and non-colonized planets, then I expect that sector to develop both.  The sectors should be building at least one Builder ship and using it to develop planets.  I look at this as using Capitalists in Victoria to build factories and railroads.  Otherwise, there is very little to gain from having a sector. 

bbmike

JudgeDredd, it's strange that you haven't fought anything with an empire that size. I only own three systems but so far have fought pirates and wandering space creatures. At one point one of the space creatures started attacking a mining station. A pirate fleet entered the system to do the same thing and they ended up fighting each other! I still lost my mining station.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

Quote from: jamus34 on May 13, 2016, 03:08:08 PM
As far as #1 there is a little trick here. If you have a construction ship selected it will show all systems that both already have mining set up and ones that don't.
Same with colonization, select a colonization ship and it will show all systems that have colonizable worlds by using a planet icon. Even better the color of the icon will be coded based on the planet with the highest hab.

Thanks  Jamus, I'll try that. 

OJsDad

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 03:02:31 PM
on the galaxy map, there is no way to find the pre-FTL planets,  you need to go through them system by system.

Figured this one out.  If you go into Contacts, the non-FTL planets you've found are listed there.  You can filter just on them.  It would help if I went and tried some diplomacy.