Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2016, 12:12:51 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2016, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 14, 2016, 09:01:49 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 13, 2016, 05:03:13 PMI'm not sure I'm a huge fan of how research is implemented. There's things I want to build/upgrade and I can't because I'm missing some research element...but you only get 3 research options, so it's not like I can choose what I need. Now, I'm not suggesting I should be able to build something before I should be able to - but being able to see where abouts that is likely to occur would be handy. Currently, unless I've missed the obvious, you only get shown your 3 options.

Welcome to the world of real Research & Development, my friend!

I'm not sure how enjoyable a gaming experience it makes for, but that's much more representative of the way that technological progress happens in a real society versus "I'd like to invent refrigeration now!"   :)

This!

Research right now in the real world works a lot like this. Hmmm... let's research Higg's Boson.... Oh look now we know super conducting magnets in a limited sense so let's research that now... Oh look now we have better super conducting magnets this other really interesting field of study has opened up that we'd never thought of before...let's do that....

Go back and look at the history of scientific discovery and you'll see it's pretty haphazard and random most of the time.

One of the things I think they got right.
The comparison to real life ludicrous. This is a science fiction and a game

First point - it's science fiction - you can't compare it to how research works now and say "That's the way it'll be in 500 years" or whatever the timeline for the game is.

And secondly, and less of a point I guess, is it is just a game. Not all games need to mimic real life and you could argue they are can remove some of the frustrations of real life....PARTICULARLY when you are talking about the future.

I'll drop it now because, as I said, I'm not overly fussed about it. It's not a game breaker for me. I just wanted to mention that other games allow you to choose your line of research and comparisons to now and RL are just not applicable.

Besides, I didn't mean (or say) I want to make something now, I only said I would like to know where my research is heading. I didn't even ask for timelines. Just that I was on the right line.

Tell me what you really think there JD.  ;D

I was just explaining why I like it the way it is.  O0

jamus34

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 14, 2016, 01:49:10 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2016, 12:13:56 PM
Any "handy tips" on how to store energy? I can't find the answer and I'm at the limit of my storage (3500)...so all the energy I create now as surplus is just lost...please?  ;)

Same as minerals...get the tech for buildings that increase your cap.  There are probably other ways too, but this is one I know of.

Quote from: Tuna on May 14, 2016, 01:41:43 PM
How do you 'dock' a fleet?

Right click on a planet or spaceport.  The fleet will either move straight there and enter orbit, or you might get a menu and you will have to click enter orbit.  When a fleet is in orbit/docked, its status in the outliner will be a green image of a ship in orbit.  Its tooltip info will then reflect the -25% maintenance cost.

Huw, I'm not sure there is a building to increase energy storage (at least I have not seen that yet) - but there is tech that will inherently increase it.

Start my second game, this time using star lanes. Surprisingly I picked more alien species to be included and have not run into anyone yet.
Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2016, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 13, 2016, 05:03:13 PMI'm not sure I'm a huge fan of how research is implemented. There's things I want to build/upgrade and I can't because I'm missing some research element...but you only get 3 research options, so it's not like I can choose what I need. Now, I'm not suggesting I should be able to build something before I should be able to - but being able to see where abouts that is likely to occur would be handy. Currently, unless I've missed the obvious, you only get shown your 3 options.

I'm not sure how enjoyable a gaming experience it makes for, but that's much more representative of the way that technological progress happens in a real society versus "I'd like to invent refrigeration now!"   :)

This!

Research right now in the real world works a lot like this. Hmmm... let's research Higg's Boson.... Oh look now we know super conducting magnets in a limited sense so let's research that now... Oh look now we have better super conducting magnets this other really interesting field of study has opened up that we'd never thought of before...let's do that....

Go back and look at the history of scientific discovery and you'll see it's pretty haphazard and random most of the time.

First point - it's science fiction - you can't compare it to how research works now and say "That's the way it'll be in 500 years" or whatever the timeline for the game is.

And secondly, and less of a point I guess, is it is just a game. Not all games need to mimic real life and you could argue they are can remove some of the frustrations of real life....PARTICULARLY when you are talking about the future.

I'll drop it now because, as I said, I'm not overly fussed about it. It's not a game breaker for me. I just wanted to mention that other games allow you to choose your line of research and comparisons to now and RL are just not applicable.

Besides, I didn't mean (or say) I want to make something now, I only said I would like to know where my research is heading. I didn't even ask for timelines. Just that I was on the right line.

Sorry. I didn't mean to come off curt there...just bad post wording and not enough emoticons.

But - if we want to compare to RL, then we better ask the devs to remove warp engines from the ships...'cos ships nowadays don't have warp engines.  ^-^

Just saying - there's a place for "RL" comparisons and I don't know that a game in the fictional future should be one  :P

As I said - it's no game breaker, but I prefer MOOs method (which I believe is along the lines of Civ IIRC)
Alba gu' brath

Rayfer

Quote from: jamus34 on May 14, 2016, 02:26:48 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 14, 2016, 01:49:10 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2016, 12:13:56 PM
Any "handy tips" on how to store energy? I can't find the answer and I'm at the limit of my storage (3500)...so all the energy I create now as surplus is just lost...please?  ;)

Same as minerals...get the tech for buildings that increase your cap.  There are probably other ways too, but this is one I know of.

Quote from: Tuna on May 14, 2016, 01:41:43 PM
How do you 'dock' a fleet?

Right click on a planet or spaceport.  The fleet will either move straight there and enter orbit, or you might get a menu and you will have to click enter orbit.  When a fleet is in orbit/docked, its status in the outliner will be a green image of a ship in orbit.  Its tooltip info will then reflect the -25% maintenance cost.

Huw, I'm not sure there is a building to increase energy storage (at least I have not seen that yet) - but there is tech that will inherently increase it.

Start my second game, this time using star lanes. Surprisingly I picked more alien species to be included and have not run into anyone yet.

The building is called a Power Hub 1....I got through research and it increases your energy storage maximum. Unfortunately, I don't remember which type of research it came under.

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2016, 02:45:41 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2016, 02:20:38 PM

This!

Sorry. I didn't mean to come off curt there...just bad post wording and not enough emoticons.

But - if we want to compare to RL, then we better ask the devs to remove warp engines from the ships...'cos ships nowadays don't have warp engines.  ^-^

Just saying - there's a place for "RL" comparisons and I don't know that a game in the fictional future should be one  :P

As I said - it's no game breaker, but I prefer MOOs method (which I believe is along the lines of Civ IIRC)

No worries mate.  O0
What you are describing is exactly like the CiV series tech trees and most other games that use "trees".
It's been a 4X staple from the beginning.

I just like "discovering" what techs are where... And I like that there is some uncertainty about when they will show up.

JudgeDredd

Maybe I just need to get out of that "comfort zone" Civ and MOO put me in  ;D
Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

I'll agree with JD and Barth/Faraway. 

I do agree that a lot of times, research and discoveries are random.  However, a lot of times your driving toward a goal that requires inventions that don't exist yet.  Think of all that was invented with the goal of getting man on the moon.  Or even today with the self driving cars.  How much is having to be invented to accomplish that one invention.  If I know that I want to expand my space station, then that's my goal.  It's all of the inventions and development work that is needed to get to that goal.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Huw the Poo

Apparently the techs have various levels of rarity, so my guess is that's why you see a lot of weapons tech but rarely any, well, rare techs!  Colonisation techs probably fall somewhere in the middle.

It's a matter of opinion really, isn't it?  I quite understand why some of you don't like this system.  I like it though; I think not knowing what could come next adds a layer of excitement to it.

OJsDad

OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH!

When your in the empire screen, the one in the screen shot I took when explaining sectors, if you click on the sector governors name, not the picture the name, it will expand the sector to show all of the planet details in that sector. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Anyone else try to take down a ring world?  God damn those things have a lot of defences!

OJsDad

I don't think I've come across a ring world yet.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Here's one I've been picking away at.  I've knocked out maybe 15% of the total defences so far.

Huw the Poo

Doesn't look very strong from that screenshot, but you don't seem to have a decent fleet yet.  Is that early game?

OJsDad

I'm starting to see my sectors build spaceports. 

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on May 14, 2016, 09:07:16 PM
I'm starting to see my sectors build spaceports.

Really? What's the trigger?
:o