Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2016, 12:51:28 AM
I've stopped playing at the minute...stopped dead. Why? Because my cap of 3500 energy "credits" has been hit and I'm getting +9 a day(?)/month(?) and not being able to store them.

It's just a "mental block" thing...I don't want to be losing credits because I can't store them The fact I've got 3500 should make me happy and the fact that I am not going under that should also be good enough, but I hate the idea of losing energy credits  :(

Spend them so that you have space for more? Don't have the game yet.

jamus34

I hit the cap on influence a couple of times so I then built a frontier station. Minerals I'm mostly good on, I keep running negative on credits.
Insert witty comment here.

Huw the Poo

I'm in a good position with energy, minerals and influence (+5) at the moment with nearly thirty planets.  Don't forget to keep fleets parked when you aren't using them, and keep an eye on your sectors; three of mine make massive amounts of energy and minerals so I tax them all at 75%.

jamus34

How do you guys keep from going negative energy? Do you not build research stations?
I did start building solar panels on my shipyards which once complete should get me back to positive.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on May 16, 2016, 07:41:22 AM
How do you guys keep from going negative energy? Do you not build research stations?
I did start building solar panels on my shipyards which once complete should get me back to positive.

The thing that made a big difference for me was adding solar panels to my spaceports. this is technology you have to research. It saves a lot on station energy. Also, maximize energy production on planets by building and upgrading energy producing buildings on the appropriate tiles. Finally, I balance my fleet size with my energy income so as to not overwhelm my economy all at once.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Kushan

Paradox ha released a very rough outline of the next few patches. Open borders, battleship class weapons, and civilian ships I find particularly mouth watering.

Wasn't until I hit mid game where the closed borders "issue" really became evident. The AI hardly ever grants border access, which makes doing all the quest stuff difficult.

Dev Diary 33 - The Maiden Voyage
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

solops

I am shelving the game for now. As with most games, exploring the new game system is fun up to a point. I have hit that point. After reading the latest Dev Diary it is pretty clear that until the first major patch (at least) the game is more frustration than fun. I might even wait until the Asimov patch...dunno. It's not like I don't have other things to do...Barbarossa, FP Red Storm, Rule the Waves, Attila, Arma III, Goat Simulator (et al ad nauseum)....my bank account weeps.

Edit: I know! I'll give X Rebirth another whirl. Have not really played since the last Patch and Expansion
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

sandman2575

Quote from: Kushan on May 16, 2016, 09:26:25 AM
Paradox ha released a very rough outline of the next few patches. Open borders, battleship class weapons, and civilian ships I find particularly mouth watering.

Does civilian ships suggest at a more developed (autonomous?) free market a la Distant Worlds is in our future? That would make me extremely happy.

Have to say I don't quite get why people are finding Stellaris's initial 'exploration' phase all that interesting. Again, compared to Distant Worlds, where there are actually interesting things to discover in practically every solar system, all I'm doing in Stellaris is hoping one planet actually has minerals or energy. The barrenness of the systems -- where 6 out of 8 planets contain absolutely nothing of value -- really kills the enjoyment of the early game for me.

OJsDad

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2016, 12:51:28 AM
I've stopped playing at the minute...stopped dead. Why? Because my cap of 3500 energy "credits" has been hit and I'm getting +9 a day(?)/month(?) and not being able to store them.

It's just a "mental block" thing...I don't want to be losing credits because I can't store them The fact I've got 3500 should make me happy and the fact that I am not going under that should also be good enough, but I hate the idea of losing energy credits  :(

JD, I've maxed out at 12K minerals.  Keep from wasting, I'm giving to my sectors.  1. To make sure they not running out and 2. to help speed up their development.   You may want to look at doing this with your energy.

Also, look at your tax rates on your sectors.  You may want to cut down or eliminate the taxes they're giving you, even if it creates a small negative to your energy.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Tuna

Quote from: spelk on May 16, 2016, 10:49:17 AM
i'm not sure I agree with this assessment...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/16/i-really-wanted-to-be-able-to-play-stellaris/

That guy needs to go back to his Console games. While it does suck there's no manual, it's really not hard to figure out with the tips. The little things we don't know, we find easily enough with that thing called the internet.

jamus34

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/16/i-really-wanted-to-be-able-to-play-stellaris/
To me this reads as someone who is hell-bent on not liking Stellaris. While I can agree with some of the complaints by the end to me it's reads more like actively looking for items to dislike.
To me DW:u and PS are a lot less beginner friendly that Stellaris.

panzerde

He gave up after 30 minutes, I gave up reading after two paragraphs. I'm not sure why people think that their lack of ability to enjoy a particular genre of game is something worth writing about and sharing.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

OJsDad

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 16, 2016, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: Kushan on May 16, 2016, 09:26:25 AM

Does civilian ships suggest at a more developed (autonomous?) free market a la Distant Worlds is in our future? That would make me extremely happy.

Have to say I don't quite get why people are finding Stellaris's initial 'exploration' phase all that interesting. Again, compared to Distant Worlds, where there are actually interesting things to discover in practically every solar system, all I'm doing in Stellaris is hoping one planet actually has minerals or energy. The barrenness of the systems -- where 6 out of 8 planets contain absolutely nothing of value -- really kills the enjoyment of the early game for me.

Nothing in the Dev Diary suggest civilian ships are going to be anything more than fluff.  But that may be my misreading it.

I agree with the comparison to DW and it's rich mineral set.  I was really hoping for a more Victoria based economy.  I've never understood why developers don't embrace the economic side that a grand strategy game offers.  Think of the depth to the game play that would be added if you only had one planet producing a mineral that is needed to construct you Yamato class BB's.  Without it, the war is almost assuredly lost.  Take out the enemies planet making 90% of the empires consumer products.  May not sound very interesting until you realize their war support dropped 20% and they're forced to build new consumer factories. 

Great thing about DW civilian ships, it allowed commerce raiding.  Of course the bid downside of DW was it's limit on ships designs to one of each type.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: panzerde on May 16, 2016, 11:02:41 AM

He gave up after 30 minutes, I gave up reading after two paragraphs. I'm not sure why people think that their lack of ability to enjoy a particular genre of game is something worth writing about and sharing.

Ha, I quite reading at two paragraphs also.

Did the guy not know there is a pause button.