Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2016, 04:30:43 PM
I just had a tech research become available to build civilian colony ships. Haven't researched it yet so I'm sure how it works. It does warn you that the colonies they set up might not adhere to your empires chosen governing ethics.

That just sounds like the normal colonisation tech to me.  All colony ships are civilian.  The warning probably refers to ethics divergence.

By the way, since it came up in conversation this evening - if you care about achievements at all, they're currently bugged.  Sometimes you can earn them, a lot of the time you can't.  Seems to be random.

spelk

Quote from: OJsDad on May 16, 2016, 11:07:43 AM
Did the guy not know there is a pause button.

+1

well played, Sir!

Rayfer

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 16, 2016, 06:07:53 PM
I just had a tech research become available to build civilian colony ships. Haven't researched it yet so I'm sure how it works. It does warn you that the colonies they set up might not adhere to your empires chosen governing ethics.

That just sounds like the normal colonisation tech to me.  All colony ships are civilian.  The warning probably refers to ethics divergence.

By the way, since it came up in conversation this evening - if you care about achievements at all, they're currently bugged.  Sometimes you can earn them, a lot of the time you can't.  Seems to be random.

You could be correct Huw, but I have a feeling it's something more than that.

Barthheart

Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2016, 06:28:54 PM

It is more than that, I had the same event. It's supposed to let private industry build colony ships separate from you building them. Which means you'll get "free" colony ships occasionally but they will probably have slightly different ethics and beliefs than your government.
Haven't seen a free console ship yet though.....

jamus34

Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2016, 06:28:54 PM

Colonization is a level 1 tech - so if this tech is later than start it probably is something different. It does sound like it allows sectors to build colonization ships on their own.

QuoteTech frontier initiatives.png    Frontier Initiatives    New Worlds.png    480    1    

Feature: Private Colony Ship

Tech colonization 1.png New Worlds Protocol
    Does not have Tech frontier collectives.png Frontier Collectives
    Is Individualist.png Individualist or Fanatic Individualist.png Fanatic Individualist.

Base: 90
Modifiers
   Managing connections between the private sector and the government, giving subsidies to the right investors, allows for private initiatives into colonization.

Sounds like it's this based on the Wiki...now the real question is...Does it work?
Insert witty comment here.

OJsDad

I've had Private Colony ships for quite awhile and I never saw a ship build that I didn't build.  With that said, they only cost 250 versus 350 and you don't get the pick the colonist that goes with the ship.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Ah... so that's how it works.  O0

OJsDad

Has anyone tried a wormhole game yet. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Yskonyn

Me! Its very Dynamic.
It seems a Wormhole generator has a range. So ships can reach new planets within that range.
But if they need to Travel to a system outside of the range of one and inside range of the other, it first needs to jump back to the system with the generator in it and then jump directly to a system with another generator that is within range of the new planet .
So it is two-fold.
Gives a nice Dynamic flow which at times is a bit of a puzzle to figure out max efficiency vs cost to build.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

My energy credit issue has gone - I can play again  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Barthheart on May 16, 2016, 06:34:52 PM
It is more than that, I had the same event. It's supposed to let private industry build colony ships separate from you building them. Which means you'll get "free" colony ships occasionally but they will probably have slightly different ethics and beliefs than your government.

Ah, fair enough.  I guess you could be correct Huw, but I have a feeling it's something more than that.

I have encountered a bug whereby one of the empires I'm allied with will change their name between sessions.  Pretty weird.  It's usually a different ally each time, too.

Greybriar

According to the Stellaris Wiki: "....The Colony Ship (350 minerals), in which the player can choose which species to put on board, and the Private Colony Ship, which while costing less (250 minerals), can have minority groups that you may not want boarded, and thus allowed to spread their ideology on a new planet...."

At least the Private Colony Ship costs 100 minerals less.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

100 minerals is nothing though. And if you can't even guarantee what pop will board the ship...hahaha, no.  What a useless tech.

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 17, 2016, 05:00:05 AM
100 minerals is nothing though. And if you can't even guarantee what pop will board the ship...hahaha, no.  What a useless tech.

Unless you have taken the stuff that lets you work/starve non-native pops to death.  In that case, you may not have different factions/races in your empire, right?

Silent Disapproval Robot

You still get guys with different ethics popping up for colonization though.