Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 18, 2016, 05:02:06 PM
People have been arguing about this kind of thing since the dawn of strategy games.  Pick your game...people have argued over which is the winning strategy.  They always have and apparently always will.  Meanwhile I just play, and enjoy myself.

I find it's the nature of a vocal minority of (general young) gamers to always have something to complain about in any game you care to name. Of course, you can see the exact same behavior out of crusty old napoleonic miniatures gamers, too. I honestly believe that there's a group that enjoys the bitching a lot more than the playing.

I completely agree with your approach. Because I didn't make whatever dark deal Bawb made with the 'stache demons to stay forever youthful, I only have so long to play and enjoy myself. So I'd rather play!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

sandman2575

Quote from: panzerde on May 18, 2016, 05:15:02 PM
I find it's the nature of a vocal minority of (general young) gamers to always have something to complain about in any game you care to name. Of course, you can see the exact same behavior out of crusty old napoleonic miniatures gamers, too. I honestly believe that there's a group that enjoys the bitching a lot more than the playing.

Ain't this the truth. You should see all the kvetching and hand-wringing over at the Pdox forums about what a 'problem' it is that Pdox is offering 3 different price tiers for HOI4, and how unfair and duplicitous this is -- also it clearly represents Pdox selling its soul in the name of squeezing $$ out of its loyal fans....

FFS... There is NOTHING bad about Pdox offering HOI4 for pre-purchase, at whatever price point(s) they think best.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on May 18, 2016, 05:11:37 PM
Thanks for the reply btw.  I'm thinking that provided the game allows modders a decent amount of leway wrt ship design, modules, weapons, and individual ship AI, any concerns I have will be addressed one way or another given it's huge popularity.   

Well, of this we can be pretty certain.  I haven't looked into mods yet myself, but Paradox have always said the game will be easily moddable.

Quote from: panzerde on May 18, 2016, 05:15:02 PM
I honestly believe that there's a group that enjoys the bitching a lot more than the playing.

Hehe, yeah, probably!

jamus34

Typically this is why I do not like rock paper scissors unit (or in this case weapon) choices.
I like the total annihilation method of building units for roles. That  missile launcher can attack land units but not very effectively but will chew up most air. While land attack can theoretically attack air units but will miss more than hit.

Yeah, some units will never get used but the choice is up to the player.

As far as it relates to Stellaris I've been trying to build all in one ships but I'm pretty sure that is a mistake. I'll have to test out how dedicated units in a combined arms approach work out
Insert witty comment here.

ghostryder

I've been building all-in -one's too. I haven't run into a problem yet. For missle defense, I'm not sure that's an issue when you have 200 plus missles releasing. It might pick off some-but a lot get through. Instead of missles the shard throwing is cool-as is the electric shock--I just mix and match.

Huw the Poo

Here is an interesting test someone on Reddit has conducted.

tl;dr A corvette fleet twice the size of a destroyer fleet equipped with small weapons stands no chance.

jamus34

I think it's all about focus fire. If they created a tech that would allow a fleet to focus fire the results probably to possibly might be different. I do not think that many destroyers would survive.

You know what I think would work great for Stellaris, something similar to the fleet combat options from gratuitous space battles. You
Insert witty comment here.

Huw the Poo

I'm just glad that it's more evidence that corvette spam isn't a good strategy - something I've never really believed.  I honestly think a good fleet mix is the best strategy, especially mixing S/M/L weapons on the larger ships.

Tuna

But at the end, isn't it saying Corvettes with Battleships is better than Corvettes with Destroyers?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tuna on May 21, 2016, 08:32:04 AM
But at the end, isn't it saying Corvettes with Battleships is better than Corvettes with Destroyers?

Why wouldn't it be?  BBs are better than DDs in terms of raw firepower, defenses and so on.

Besides, it only proves my point further - mix your fleets.  Spamming one type of ship is not the way to win.

Tuna

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 21, 2016, 09:53:56 AM
Quote from: Tuna on May 21, 2016, 08:32:04 AM

Why wouldn't it be?  BBs are better than DDs in terms of raw firepower, defenses and so on.

Besides, it only proves my point further - mix your fleets.  Spamming one type of ship is not the way to win.

No I mean he had a fleet with the BBs and DD's and one with BB's and Corvettes.. the latter matchup won I think.

Huw the Poo

Oh, that.  Yeah that was odd.  I'd want to see that battle in action to see what happened there.

Ian C

Major bug. Can anyone else confirm this if they have a human empire? It might work with other races.

1. Save your game.
2. Manage factions in your empire and make several sectors or all of them independent.
3. Wait until the map updates with the new independent sectors. They are now non-human completely new alien sectors with new races you've never seen before.

Anyone else?

Huw the Poo

Sorry, I only play on ironman mode so I can't test this.  However it does sound like it might be related to the empire name-changing bug I spotted.  Hmm.

Jarhead0331

So I have about 18 hours into this and I'm yet to really get into a major war. In fact, I really haven't gotten into any wars, although I did start one last night just for $hits and giggles.

I think I've read someplace that the AI empires tend to be pretty passive. That seems to be the case in my latest game. Almost every race I have come into contact with is democratic, spiritual or focused on luxury, wealth and trade.  They rarely want to fight, which is a good thing because I find it pretty difficult to build and maintain large powerful fleets. I consistently am struggling with balancing energy credits and am lucky if I can maintain a positive balance. I tend to have 4 or 5 fleets, but they are really only good for fighting smaller internal threats...getting a fleet to have more than 2K-3K in strength is a struggle for me. I have a large empire with 9 sectors and dozens of colonized worlds. It should be an economic powerhouse. However, compared to most other races, my offensive power is lacking. I've seen foreign fleets with 23K-30K in strength. Frightening, indeed!

What tips do you guys have for planetary invasion? There is a small independent empire on my eastern fringe that only has two planets colonized. I declared war after they flatly refused to become my vassal. I was able to clear the space of their homeworld and invaded with a 10 unit assault army led by a general. I was unable to get any intel on defensive strength and I did not do any pre-invasion planetary bombardment. My invasion force got their a$$es handed to them, so I now realize that launching a successful invasion may be a very costly process, not unlike the one in Polaris Sector.

Any thoughts on this?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18