Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Huw the Poo

It's very, very good.  They have addressed so many things that the community were moaning about.  Credit where it's due; Paradox definitely listen.

Rayfer

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 24, 2016, 09:46:11 AM
It's very, very good.  They have addressed so many things that the community were moaning about.  Credit where it's due; Paradox definitely listen.

Yes, it does look good. I wonder if it is compatible with existing saves?

Kushan

Quote from: Rayfer on May 24, 2016, 10:41:33 AM
Yes, it does look good. I wonder if it is compatible with existing saves?

Assuming Stellaris will be like CK2 and EUIV, probably not. Hot fixes are generally save game compatible but major patches tend not to be.

Want I really want to see is either the ability to tell sectors to build ships and have the game choose at what planet or have all of your space ports appear in the outliner.

In one of my on going MP games, we had the inter-dimensional invaders disaster event trigger over the weekend. Was a real pain to have to constantly hunt down all of my individual ports and tel them to keep building ships. Its not a huge deal in most wars but in that war I was constantly building new ships to first bring my fleet strength up to be able to meet the invaders and then to replace losses.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

OJsDad

+1 Kushan.  I've always wanted game designers to allow you to design fleets, assign them to a home port and then let the AI figure out where to build the ships.  DW does this, not always very well, but it does it.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

I got to thinking about the state of Stellaris at release.  I really do think it was a solid release, the grumblings are design decisions or features that didn't always seem to go far enough.  But perhaps Paradox (and other designers) have it right by not releasing a perfect game.  By releasing Stellaris at 50% with a playable game with no major bugs, they're now able to sit back, and listen to the community give feed back on where to go from.  Trying to listen to a community before a game is released is hard, as people cannot see how the different pieces fit together.  Now, people can give more focused and useful feedback that Paradox can use.

I install IT for cardiology departments in hospitals.  There are no 2 hospitals that do things the same way.  Even hospitals that have the same parent company don't.   Customers are always amazed when they ask why we haven't implemented a feature they want, and we tell them no one else has ever asked for it.  Imagine how hard it is with hundreds of thousands users instead of a few hundred or a few thousand.

Huw the Poo

Good thoughts.  People can argue about the design decisions of the game, but the game itself is absolutely rock solid.  I haven't had a single crash, I haven't seen any visual bugs or anomalies or anything.

In other news - typically, I had a war end today with my enemy's unconditional surrender which I had to accept.  They became my vassal - which had been my war goal...I wonder if that made a difference.

Wolfe1759

Bu**er there go my plans for the coming weekend.

The EA4 of New MOO has just come out, a couple of days ago I bought the Mercenaries expansion for GalCivIII, I thought I was all set, now they do this to me with their very good looking Clarke patch  :)

However it is a bank holiday weekend so I might get the chance to play all three.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 24, 2016, 04:31:57 PM
...I haven't seen any visual bugs or anomalies or anything.

I just ran into one today.  I wanted to add a system to one of my AI controlled sectors but it had a neutral (yellow coloured) fleet in it.  The yellow fleet icon covered the check box I needed to click in order to add the system to my sector so I was unable to do it.  I don't know if it'd be possible if I unclicked the detailed map feature but I didn't think to do so at the time.  I just had to wait for the fleet of gas bags to move on.

OJsDad

SDR, I cannot double check this at this time, but 1. You can zoom in and out to pick.  2.  You don't have to hit the checkbox, you can click on the system icon also.

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 24, 2016, 05:25:58 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 24, 2016, 04:31:57 PM
...I haven't seen any visual bugs or anomalies or anything.

I just ran into one today.  I wanted to add a system to one of my AI controlled sectors but it had a neutral (yellow coloured) fleet in it.  The yellow fleet icon covered the check box I needed to click in order to add the system to my sector so I was unable to do it.  I don't know if it'd be possible if I unclicked the detailed map feature but I didn't think to do so at the time.  I just had to wait for the fleet of gas bags to move on.

This happened to me too.... just click on the star directly and it gets added... in fact you can do that instead of clicking the ting plus symbols....

Silent Disapproval Robot

Jarhead0331

I've experienced only two bugs...

1. The sound that plays while on the diplomacy screen got locked up and kept playing until I exited the game.

2. At one point I had a construction ship set to construct a frontier outpost in a fringe star system. Before it could arrive, the expansion of a neutral race's borders locked me out of the system. Even though my construction ship never got there, it still managed to build the frontier outpost!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 24, 2016, 04:31:57 PMI haven't seen any visual bugs or anomalies or anything.

There's the sector independence bug. I reported this a few days back. Try making a faction's sector independent and see what happens. The faction vanishes and suddenly it's inhabited by a random alien race you've never seen before.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson