Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on August 05, 2016, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on August 05, 2016, 01:19:02 PM
Huge point for Stellaris.  Being able to design and use multiple designs of each ship class.  You want a Cruiser with lots of missiles and a second one with Point Defense, you can do it.  Though I haven't seen any Anti-Missile Missiles or general area defenses yet.  The defenses seem to be for just a single ship.  I also really like being able to mix and match the different hull types to design a ship.

Upgrading while do this multi type in one class gets messy though. Say you have a beam setup destroyer and a missile setup destroyer. All types of destroyer will only upgrade the latest type you created. So if you create a new version of the the missile DD then create a new version of the beam DD and then go to upgrade your old missile DDs they will all change to the newest beam type DD.
Not sure how to get around this....

The only way I can think of right now is to

1.  Put your missle DD's in a different fleet than your beam DD's.  Make the design changes to your missile DD's and upgrade the ones in the fleet that need to be.  Then make the design changes to the beam DD's and then upgrade those ships.  Pain in the butt I know, but should be doable. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on August 05, 2016, 02:39:00 PM
Huge point for Stellaris.  Being able to design and use multiple designs of each ship class.  You want a Cruiser with lots of missiles and a second one with Point Defense, you can do it.  Though I haven't seen any Anti-Missile Missiles or general area defenses yet.  The defenses seem to be for just a single ship.  I also really like being able to mix and match the different hull types to design a ship.

Upgrading while do this multi type in one class gets messy though. Say you have a beam setup destroyer and a missile setup destroyer. All types of destroyer will only upgrade the latest type you created. So if you create a new version of the the missile DD then create a new version of the beam DD and then go to upgrade your old missile DDs they will all change to the newest beam type DD.

1.  Put your missle DD's in a different fleet than your beam DD's.  Make the design changes to your missile DD's and upgrade the ones in the fleet that need to be.  Then make the design changes to the beam DD's and then upgrade those ships.  Pain in the butt I know, but should be doable.

Yeah that would work.... should be more straight forward though...

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on August 05, 2016, 02:45:10 PM

Actually, it is more straight forward.  I just logged into a later game I have save and created a new Perry class corvett and a Knox class corvett.  I built 3 of each and placed them in the same fleet.  They were the only 6 ships in the fleet.  I then made changes to both designs and the told the fleet to upgrade.  The ships upgraded to their latest designs. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on August 05, 2016, 02:55:29 PM

Actually, it is more straight forward.  I just logged into a later game I have save and created a new Perry class corvett and a Knox class corvett.  I built 3 of each and placed them in the same fleet.  They were the only 6 ships in the fleet.  I then made changes to both designs and the told the fleet to upgrade.  The ships upgraded to their latest designs.

:o Hmmmmm.... I wonder if it was the way I named them.... I tried using DD and DDG as the two types within the class and then went to DD Mk II and DDG MkII and it made everything DDG Mk II....
Maybe the names need to be more different..... OR they have changed this since the last time I tried it...

Thanks for the experiment and heads up.
O0

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on August 05, 2016, 03:14:39 PM

:o Hmmmmm.... I wonder if it was the way I named them.... I tried using DD and DDG as the two types within the class and then went to DD Mk II and DDG MkII and it made everything DDG Mk II....
Maybe the names need to be more different..... OR they have changed this since the last time I tried it...

O0

I just tried what you suggested, and when I made the design changes, I added Mk II to the end of each design name.  When I saved them, they were saved as different designs, so I had a Perry and a Perry Mk II.  I could not upgrade the Perry's to the Perry Mk II, as they are different designs. 

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on August 05, 2016, 03:35:20 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 05, 2016, 03:14:39 PM

O0

I just tried what you suggested, and when I made the design changes, I added Mk II to the end of each design name.  When I saved them, they were saved as different designs, so I had a Perry and a Perry Mk II.  I could not upgrade the Perry's to the Perry Mk II, as they are different designs.

So... when you make upgrades to a design, say better warp drive but leave everything else unchanged, you leave the design name unchanged?

Whenever I make incremental changes to a design I change the "Mk" # and delete the last version.
When I upgrade, all the ships of that class go to the next Mk#. But if I have more than on design in a class they will only ungraded to the last design I made.

Kushan

Quote from: ghostryder on August 05, 2016, 12:01:43 AM
It's perplexing in what is sold as a game offering and focusing on mod support is riddled with broken mods on each and every update and now as well as graphical DLC. It wouldn't be so bad if Paradox gave the modders a heads up- but they just simply make the changes and send users to tech support-which in this case wasn't even up on the changes themselves and in fact was discovered by the modders

Apparnently you have been around that many modding communities. Speaking from experience, I've never encountered a game where a patch hasn't broken something. I've modded many games including  Elder Scrolls, Total War, Paradox, Flight Sims and every time a patch has come out its broken something. Sometimes it's a minor thing fixed on patch day or within a few days afterward, sometimes it can take a few weeks or months for a mod to update.

As for the price of the update, if you don't like it don't buy it. No ones holding a gun to your head forcing you to get it.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

Indeed there is no forcing to buy it, but there is no harm in reporting my findings either. Perhaps people weren't tracking the game actively.

I find it a steep price and doubt I am willing to pay this for every race they put out.
I just share my view on a forum designed to conversie and interact with people and everyone is free to think about it what they want.

No need for righteous internet-Paladin stuff. Just making conversation.

P.S. This is not directed at anyone in particular. I am just getting tired of the 'Well if you don't like it, don't buy it' argument. While I generally agree with it, I find it has become a bad opening on a date.
We all know how money works and how we don't have this boogeyman showing up whenever we browse the Steam shop, forcing us to buy anything (let's not talk about the voices in our heads ok? :) ).
But we should be free to post about a feeling we have about a given item.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

Quote from: ghostryder on August 05, 2016, 12:20:06 PM
It's not $20 mikeck. It's $7. The $20 comes from a comment from Johan- saying that it would be worth that. To me $7 is a six pack of bad beer--I don't think it's pricey at all. There's a lot of art there-and i'll note that type of art is a heck of a lot more work than 3d art. A talented artist deserves to be paid well for good art would be my argument justifying the price.

Fair enough about actual price
But looking at the paradox forums you would think the developer auto-debited $20 from everyone's bank account
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

ghostryder

Apparnently you have been around that many modding communities. Speaking from experience, I've never encountered a game where a patch hasn't broken something. I've modded many games including  Elder Scrolls, Total War, Paradox, Flight Sims and every time a patch has come out its broken something. Sometimes it's a minor thing fixed on patch day or within a few days afterward, sometimes it can take a few weeks or months for a mod to update.

As for the price of the update, if you don't like it don't buy it. No ones holding a gun to your head forcing you to get it.

Me. around modding ? That's frickin' funny. As for you never meeting a game that never breaks mods--I modded for years until I met one one that did. You mention Morrowind. I have many morrowind mods under my belt. Every one still works. There were some difficulties with expansions in some cases, but never with patches and certainly never with cosmetic DLC. I don't mod much now--simply because of the current state of modding- as we are discussing. As the years go by modding has actually been set back tremdously by such examples as Stelleris. Even you current Bethseda game is but a shell now in posabilities that a modder used to be able to do way back in Morrowind days. Third party liciencing like Havoc utterly killed the possabilities in Bethseda games. And their sloppy and dirty coding makes modding attempts frustrating at best and impossible in most cases.

Look what used to be possible in Total War games. After MTW2 modding the map was closed. Stats and GUI are about all one can do now.

There's several things I look at when I decide to mod or not mod a game. Is it good. does it have shelf life? Will modding give it shelf life...like in the case of Morrowind? And most importantly--what's moddable and is it designed modularily so updates don't step on such mods. And in the case of when an expansion does, is the changes communicated or is the community ignored?

My last mod, BTW was a while back. I've moved on from the game-and there's been several updates, DLCs and expansions and you know what? That mod still works although it was a release day mod.

OJsDad

Latest Dev Diary for the Heinlein patch.

Really disappointed that they chose not to do a fleet designer. 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-40-heinlein-patch-part-1.961848/

QuoteHello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This is the first in a multi-part dev diary about the 'Heinlein' 1.3 patch that we are currently working on. As I mentioned in last week's dev diary, Heinlein will be a patch focusing on addressing community feedback, tentatively planned for release sometime in October. As such, you can expect a large number of interface and quality of life improvement, too many for me me to list here precisely what we have planned. However, we do also have some larger changes planned, and this dev diary is here to give you an overview of what to expect.

Auto-Explore
Exploration is an important part of the Stellaris early game, but towards the mid and late game, it can get annoying to have to manage your science ships while also trying to run a sprawling interstellar empire. We've said previously that we don't want the automation fully automated away, so the compromise we've settled on is to introduce a technology that will appear after your empire grows to a certain size that allows science ships to be automated (it will also grant some other bonuses so to be useful to the AI). Though we know that there are are people who want automation options from the very start, we believe that there is always a cost involved in automating core parts of the game experience. You will of course be able to mod the game to permit you to have it enabled from the start, if you so wish.

Rally Points
One of our most requested features since release has been a better way to manage newly built ships. After discussing the various options (such as a fleet designer) we decided to settle on adding Rally Points for your fleets. In Heinlein, you will be able to mark any planet or star in the galaxy as well as any warfleet owned by you as a rally point. When a new warship is built in your empire, instead of remaining at the planet that built it, it will look first for a fleet marked as a rally point. If it finds such a fleet, it will travel to that fleet and automatically merge with it. If something happens to destroy that fleet while the ship is traveling to it, it will abort and return back to its point of origin. If you have no fleet rally points, the ship will instead use the nearest planet rally point, traveling there and merging with any fleet present around that planet. In addition to changing how newly built ships behave, rally points also alter the 'return' order given to ships - instead of returning to the nearest spaceport, they will return to the nearest spaceport marked as a rally point. If no spaceport is marked as a rally point, they go to whichever one is closest, as before.

[​IMG]

Expansion Planner
Another highly requested feature that will be coming in Heinlein is an expansion planner - an interface where you can see planets that are available to colonize or build resource/observation stations at. It is currently planned to be a tab in your empire screen, where you can filter by what you are looking for and easily see the best candidate planet for whatever it is you are looking to do. More details on this will come in a future DD.

Strategic Resource Rework
An area of the game that we feel didn't really work out as planned is strategic resources. They are at once too rare and too common, too varied and too bland. Most of all, we feel that they are far too fiddly to interact with, requiring you to keep track in your head of which spaceports have which particular modules. As such, we currently have the following changes in mind for strategic resources:
- Split strategic resources into strategic (living metal, lythurgic gas, etc) and local (betharian stone, alien pets, etc) resources. Local resource will only be found on colonizeable planets and will allow you to build a specific building (such as a Betharian Power Plant) only on the tile where they are present.
- Add more types of local resources to colonizeable planets, making certain planets more desirable for that powerful special building you'll be able to build on it.
- Have strategic resources have clearly defined civilian OR military use, instead of each being a mix of both.
- Make their bonuses purely global, either via the construction of unique buildings or simply by providing a passive bonus.
- Require you to have only a single unit of a strategic resource to get its full benefits, so the excess can be traded away (terraforming resources will likely be an exception here).

That's all for today. Next week we'll continue talking about the Heinlein patch, specifically about the big rework coming in it: Fleet combat overhaul and dedicated ship roles. Note that as I said, there will be a *lot* of bug fixes, UI improvements and QoL changes coming in Heinlein, so I will not be able to answer every question about which exact ones will and will not make it, but if you have something you feel should be addressed for Heinlein (and it isn't a major feature addition/overhaul), feel free to mention it here.

W8taminute

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 06, 2016, 07:25:55 AM
...P.S. This is not directed at anyone in particular. I am just getting tired of the 'Well if you don't like it, don't buy it' argument....

I agree with you Yskonyn.  Everyone has a right to complain about something they don't like.  It helps contribute to the caveat emptor concept.  Anyone of the opinion of 'don't buy it then' is a repressive tyrant trying to stamp out free speech. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ghostryder

I think people use that as a default argument because they can't argue against you if your point is valid. So they just say...don't buy it. it almost admits your argument is correct.  :idiot2:

Silent Disapproval Robot

I don't buy your argument.

FarAway Sooner

SDR, I don't buy your not buying his argument.