Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Every time I go to start a new Stellaris game I see "new patch n.n is coming! It'll be the bomb!" and end up never playing 'cause I'm always waiting. That's actually true for a lot of my games.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on December 09, 2016, 08:37:09 AM
Every time I go to start a new Stellaris game I see "new patch n.n is coming! It'll be the bomb!" and end up never playing 'cause I'm always waiting. That's actually true for a lot of my games.

Ditto.. so Wednesday night just said "F it" and started anyway.  \m/

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on December 09, 2016, 08:55:21 AM

Ditto.. so Wednesday night just said "F it" and started anyway.  \m/

Yes indeed!

Then there are those occasional games in which you have struggled like mad, for hours, but getting further than you ever have before.   And then a big update comes out, auto-updates, and makes your save game obsolete.   Then you have to start all over again despite not technically having lost yet.   :knuppel2:

Therefore, when I even suspect a new update may show up in the next couple weeks then I get wary of starting a new one.

This has happened to me a couple times in TOME.  Steam auto-updates... love/hate. 

OJsDad

I think you can turn auto updates off.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Nefaro

Quote from: OJsDad on December 09, 2016, 02:03:28 PM

For Steam?

Yes, you can.  Even by game....

Until one of the Steam client updates resets it.  Which has happened to me more than once in the past.

Sparhawk

Quote from: Nefaro on December 09, 2016, 02:04:20 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on December 09, 2016, 02:03:28 PM

Yes, you can.  Even by game....

Until one of the Steam client updates resets it.

OOhh, that's how those buggers reset auto. Sometimes just easier to uninstall if you won't be playing for awhile.

Martok

Same here.  ::) 

Although FWIW, it sounds like it's going to be a little while before the Banks update comes out, and now that the hotfix for Kennedy was released (earlier today), I'd say now is as good a time as any to fire up a new Stellaris campaign.  Which is what I did.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

DicedT

No manual?

I don't want Wikis or videos that I have to sort through to find what I'm looking for, assuming it's even covered. I rarely find that fan-written manuals are complete.

That practically ruins a game of this complexity.

mikeck

More and more games are coming out without manuals...look at Hearts of Iron 4. It really doesn't ruin the game...just takes a bit longer to learn
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Ian C

Quote from: mikeck on January 04, 2017, 08:50:53 PM
More and more games are coming out without manuals..

My ambition is to open a restaurant and invite game companies.

There will be no menu. They will have to guess.
The main meals, once traditionally complete, will be split into smaller parts and available as 'DLC' - Delicious Lovely Content - to be purchased separately.

The meals will also arrive half-cooked, with the promise of further updates.

undercovergeek

I work in a town with 3 restaurants without menus - you're asked what you like and don't like and are presented with a 6 course meal cooked ad hoc

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 05, 2017, 06:47:36 AM
I work in a town with 3 restaurants without menus - you're asked what you like and don't like and are presented with a 6 course meal cooked ad hoc

This actually sounds pretty legit. Wouldn't mind trying something like that.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Tpek

Quote from: Ian C on January 05, 2017, 06:36:50 AM

The main meals, once traditionally complete, will be split into smaller parts and available as 'DLC' - Delicious Lovely Content - to be purchased separately.

I've been to such restaurants.

Nefaro

I approve this message.

bbmike

Remember to let customers show up at the restaurant hours before it opens if they wish. Serve them bites of food that will most certainly not be in the main meals. No plates, cups or utensils as those will be added when the restaurant actually opens. Of course, charge them more if they choose to do this.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak