Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: ghostryder on November 02, 2017, 08:17:02 PM
These choices have been in the setup options all along. You can choose any of the three--and forbid the other two or include one or both. Each brings a different experience. But I suppose if they are aiming to improve combat they need reworked. We're have to wait for what comes next--but I'm more than a little pleased they are aiming towards combat---as that isn't a strength the game enjoys.
+1

Yskonyn

Reading through the diary I understand the problems and I actually think the new plan will indeed make the game more interesting.
Besides its commendable that a developer even does such extensive maintenance on a game that has already been out for a while. Paradox surely does fully support their games a long time.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

HoodedHorseJoe

Yeah, I could really feel the pain almost as they made the decision to keep it to just hyper-lanes. I can certainly appreciate the challenge they've had to deal with, and I am looking forward to seeing how the game evolves from here.

But hyperlanes and the idea of 'terrain' in a space game is such a ... terrestrial concept. Kind of boring as well from a conceptual angle - I do think it will make for a fun game (EUIV in space indeed) but for a space-based science fiction experience, I would have liked something a bit more revolutionary maybe.

Now all they need to do is fix Hearts of Iron IV and we'll be golden.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 02, 2017, 08:35:00 PM
Quote from: ghostryder on November 02, 2017, 08:17:02 PM
These choices have been in the setup options all along. You can choose any of the three--and forbid the other two or include one or both. Each brings a different experience. But I suppose if they are aiming to improve combat they need reworked. We're have to wait for what comes next--but I'm more than a little pleased they are aiming towards combat---as that isn't a strength the game enjoys.

The whole point is they are removing the choices. Is something in the air tonight?

That's the way I read it. No choices, only hyperlanes now.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

I think JH is surprised at the lack of outrage.

I personnally perfer hyperlanes and setup my games so all races have the same ftl tech.

As for the lack of outrage, I think in a large part that Paradox seems to have thought about this a lot and gave a good explanation why they've made this decision. I believe that most people are looking at this as a step back to get a big jump forward with other features down the road.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

HoodedHorseJoe

Also yeah I tend to always use hyper-lanes these days.

I started with Warp, and I dabbled in Wormholes, but I remember watching a Stellaris multiplayer stream once and one of the devs mentioned that while warping allows you to go anywhere, the way the FTL's were balanced (at the time anyway), you're likely to just be able to hyperlane around quicker than they can warp around, given the cool-down time.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Yskonyn

As I understand is only the initial choice will be FTL and the other options will be a techtree technology in some altered form you will need to unlock.
Jump drives and Wormholes will still be in the game, just functioning differently.

In that respect the hex movement system of GalCiv 3 works wonders. No FTL troubles, just movement factors.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

joram

I don't do multiplayer so that was never an issue.  Personally I liked the asymetrical nature of the different options.    I feel like it's a bit of a cop out to do what they are doing however I would be willing to set aside my skepticism if it does increase the 'fun factor'.  It's hard not to feel a sense of loss though at the uniqueness the original design introduced.

joram

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 03, 2017, 07:01:02 AM
As I understand is only the initial choice will be FTL and the other options will be a techtree technology you will need to unlock.

I read it as all the other options are gate based variations.  They are not truly restoring it the way it was.

Yskonyn

Quote from: joram on November 03, 2017, 07:04:39 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 03, 2017, 07:01:02 AM
As I understand is only the initial choice will be FTL and the other options will be a techtree technology you will need to unlock.

I read it as all the other options are gate based variations.  They are not truly restoring it the way it was.

True, I was still editing. :)

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  It's regrettable that they couldn't figure out a way to make that unique movement system work better.  I think it says a lot about how straight-jacketed our modern gaming conventions are that nobody's been able to figure out a good work-around to challenges like this.

But I'll be danged if I can come up with any better alternative to what they've laid out.  That said, it feels like this pushes players back to HAVING to have a Stack of Doom to beat somebody. 

Per the other thread Cheimison started here a few days ago, I enjoy games where commerce raiding works.  I think range limitations on top of movement limitations could probably have done the trick.  The problems they lay out never really seemed to be a problem in Distant Worlds: Universe, but then, any time you have a "living universe" where ships take actions on their own, that solves the sort of "deep raider" problem the Stellaris devs were struggling with.

Of course, if your AI isn't good enough, you've introduced a whole different set of problems in your "living universe".  Nothing was more maddening than having my battlecruiser with medium-range beam weapons chase a pirate destroyer with long-range plasma torpedoes around the system for a year or longer, only to get pounded into oblivion by same destroyer.

OJsDad

The paradox thread on this is at 110 pages already.

The last person to post had this to say;

QuoteYeah well I am not delusional enough to expect a refund, and hell I love this game I normally love paradox you can see how much of the paradox stuff I own. These changes however are making me rethink that stance and any future patronage.

I look at games like CKII and EUIV and paradox has evolved this over time.  They're not the same game as when they were released.  I understand not being happy with the decision, but at the same time, we're not on the development team and don't know all of the challenges that they are having with the current implementation. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

^I think its pretty silly that someone who has received so much admitted enjoyment and value out of paradox games would reevaluate their opinion of the games and the developer over this single decision that doesn't appear to have been made lightly. This is the immature rage reaction I was expecting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

I overall prefer free travel in space games (with fuel range limits) but it seems that many don't have a Problem with it. So, yeah, i am not very happy with the decision but maybe they will be able to improve other aspects.

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 03, 2017, 10:39:52 AM
^I think its pretty silly that someone who has received so much admitted enjoyment and value out of paradox games would reevaluate their opinion of the games and the developer over this single decision that doesn't appear to have been made lightly. This is the immature rage reaction I was expecting.

I am preparing an enraged and juvenile response. Please, Please be patient.
Thank you.
It might even be livid. Cross, perhaps, as well.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin