Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

lol - I didn't even have Advanced AI Starts ticked...so I just suck  :'(

I was very surprised with their advance though. I don't think I was being particularly slow or cautious...just managing my resources (having to - not out of choice)

My bad - Advanced AI Starts was set to 3.

I'm going to start again - I'm deaded
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

How large a map are you planning on JD?

I usually play on a huge 1000 star map with 9 opponents, only 1 advance and 1 fallen. No near advanced.

This gives me some room to  grow and mostly I'm fighting pirates and monsters.

Try to build up your navy sooner. Try to keep the number of ships you have near your command limit.
All of this doesn't always work but gives a better chance at least.

OJsDad

I agree with Barth, check you game setup settings.  Here is what I use.  I usually don't have anyone on top of me when I start.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1317832092

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1317832140
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

^You really like having the max habitable planets out there? Doesn't that sort of take the excitement out of exploration and the importance of finding the occasional "green" world?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2018, 09:36:18 AM
^You really like having the max habitable planets out there? Doesn't that sort of take the excitement out of exploration and the importance of finding the occasional "green" world?

Sometimes.  I just deleted the game I had been playing, and I hadn't found but 9 continental and 1 gaia planet in about 60 systems.  Everything else required terraforming, most of which cost 5000 energy to do. 

I had found a couple of wormholes.  When I finally explored one, it took me to the other end of the galaxy, which was mostly uninhabited.  I immediately found 2 continental and 1 gaia right away.

So the setting doesn't guarantee a lot of colonizable worlds close by. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

solops

I have not played since last August and may not play again for some time, but I am curious about something. Has anyone tried playing on a harder setting with lots of Fallen Empires, all of the end game threats but no (zero) regular alien empires?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 02, 2018, 02:33:17 AM
I noticed the last time I played before these updates that I was bumping into civilisations very quickly. I also noticed how much bigger they were than me. This is also happening in this game and I'm not sure why - my obvious first reaction is I'm shit at it. But the other thing that always pops into my head is there's some cheat going on.

As I said upthread, several players have provided very strong evidence that the AI does, in fact, cheat.  Last time I checked, PDX hadn't bothered to comment.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm playing in a 4-arm spiral and my little civ started out on the far edge of one of the arms.  I was very isolated at the start as there were no hyperlanes available close by to allow me to explore towards the centre of the galaxy.  I explored as far as I could up and down the length of the arm I was on until I reached spots that were blocked off by powerful crystaline critter colonies (1k, 2k strength groups of 3-4 in each system) and these formed my boundaries.

I had only 6 planets available initially and only three were larger than 10 colony zones.  Developed away merrily, occasionally swatting away pirates until I got enough strength to deal with the crystals.  Once I did that, I discovered that I was hemmed in by three other civs so I scrambled to grab up choke points and build star bases in each. 

I've now got 11 planets and I'm listed as equivalent strength with my neighbours.  I'm getting along with two but the third just declared war on me.  Problem is, my empire's borders are long and narrow and I have to keep a decent sized fleet at each end in order to deal with incursions.  It takes FOREVER to get from one end to the other so I can't concentrate forces to deal with the stinky cat people who are attacking me. 

I really don't care for the new travel times.  Takes a ship 7 years in game time to get from one end of my empire to the other and it ain't that big.

Johnnie

Maybe this is the wrong thread to post on.  Bought the game today and I am lost.  Is there a manual?  I see guidelines and beginner's advice posted on the steam menu, but what about an "official"  manual?

Silent Disapproval Robot

No such a beast, I'm afraid.  Besides, Paradox has the annoying habit of radically changing the game engine and rules over time so you often end up with a game that barely resembles what was first released. 

Johnnie

Silent:  Thanks. I suppose I'm better off reading the Beginners' Guides anyhow.

CJReich46

Quote from: Johnnie on March 02, 2018, 08:43:11 PM
Silent:  Thanks. I suppose I'm better off reading the Beginners' Guides anyhow.

Suggestion check out ASpec's You Tube. He does a pretty decent job of explaining the mechanics and he does try to update his stuff on Stellaris (especially in 2.0).
But definitely use the Guide for starters.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

mikeck

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 02, 2018, 01:32:50 PM
I'm playing in a 4-arm spiral and my little civ started out on the far edge of one of the arms.  I was very isolated at the start as there were no hyperlanes available close by to allow me to explore towards the centre of the galaxy.  I explored as far as I could up and down the length of the arm I was on until I reached spots that were blocked off by powerful crystaline critter colonies (1k, 2k strength groups of 3-4 in each system) and these formed my boundaries.

I had only 6 planets available initially and only three were larger than 10 colony zones.  Developed away merrily, occasionally swatting away pirates until I got enough strength to deal with the crystals.  Once I did that, I discovered that I was hemmed in by three other civs so I scrambled to grab up choke points and build star bases in each. 

I've now got 11 planets and I'm listed as equivalent strength with my neighbours.  I'm getting along with two but the third just declared war on me.  Problem is, my empire's borders are long and narrow and I have to keep a decent sized fleet at each end in order to deal with incursions.  It takes FOREVER to get from one end to the other so I can't concentrate forces to deal with the stinky cat people who are attacking me. 

I really don't care for the new travel times.  Takes a ship 7 years in game time to get from one end of my empire to the other and it ain't that big.

For me, I like the long travel times. It's one of the things I like best about Polaris sector. It's more realistic and forces you to really think about not only the positioning of your fleets but also FINALLY makes building troops for defense a necessity on those far out worlds
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on March 03, 2018, 10:40:39 AM

For me, I like the long travel times. It's one of the things I like best about Polaris sector. It's more realistic and forces you to really think about not only the positioning of your fleets but also FINALLY makes building troops for defense a necessity on those far out worlds

I always thought the very long & irreversible travel times in Star Wars: Rebellion gave it a LOT more value regarding strategic planning.  Made your attacks, and even repositioning, much more of a gamble.  Requiring not only more predictive foresight, but also a higher chance of unforeseen meeting engagements. 

More than anything I think the long fleet hyperspace movement times, mixed with much fog of war, is what made Rebellion such a joy.  I don't think I've seen a 4X with that mix since.