Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteHMS Rodney's torpedo handling room, date unknown

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteBattle Group Charlie centered on USS CARL VINSON (CVN-70) underway December 14, 1986

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteHMS Agamemnon bombarding the Dardanelles Straits in WW1

mirth

Interior of Italian Battleship Roma

(album at link - https://imgur.com/a/RSMpp)

Windigo

Regarding pics of the Hood - man them are some ugly lines   :cowboy:
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on January 11, 2018, 01:02:30 PM

Funny you would say so as she was considered one of the best looking ships of her day.

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2018, 06:22:07 PM
Quote from: Windigo on January 11, 2018, 01:02:30 PM

Funny you would say so as she was considered one of the best looking ships of her day.

those turrets look like a cheese block after my 2nd wife cuts some off for a drunken late night snack

Windigo

sweet lines everywhere

mirth

besilarius

Another fine - nayvul - day at the office.
Keep the water level up in the condensers and don't salt up the feed bottom.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

This is a turret face from the Shinano's turrets before she was converted into a carrier. It was pierced at point blank range by the newest model US 16 inch Mark 7 gun. To quote Navweaps,

QuoteAt about 40,000 yards, the U.S. Navy 16"/50 firing a 16" Mark 8 Mod 6 AP projectile (the later Mod 7 and Mod 8 designs were post-WWII, so I usually do not count them and they were no better ballistically, to my knowledge) will hit at about 45° downward angle and 1607 feet/second (489.8 m/sec). Just as with a point blank hit at 2500 feet/second (762 m/sec) and 45° obliquity, this hit too will barely hole the plate as the projectile is hitting at 0° (normal) obliquity, though not completely penetrate it. Any slight barrel wear will lower the muzzle and striking velocities and no holing will occur at these or any other ranges, as mentioned. However, this is so far above any real fighting range (even with radar it is hard to see the target due to the earth's curvature interfering, especially in any kind of imperfect seeing conditions) that I do not even consider it in my computations, while putting the gun barrel up to almost touching the enemy turret is also a pipe dream in real life! Thus, no holing or complete penetrations, ever, though possibly some cracking of the plate and possible jamming of the turret if the crack-off plate piece is dislodged badly enough.

Therefore, these plates are the only warship armor plates that could not be completely penetrated by any gun ever put on a warship when installed leaning back at 45°, as they were in the actual turrets!!! Even to completely hole the plate all the way through at that inclination requires a brand new 16"/50 Mark 7 or German 38cm SK C/34 gun at point-blank range firing the latest versions of their respective AP projectiles; it might be cracked at a lower striking velocity, but no hole put entirely through it! And they said guns had completely overmatched all armor - not so!!!

PDF of test results - http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a955281.pdf

mirth

QuoteMartin T4M Torpedo bombers launching from the deck of the USS Lexington (CV-2), 1931

mirth

QuoteUSS Flasher (SSN-613) slides down the launching ways at the Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corp., Groton, CT., 22 June 1963

mirth

QuoteHMS Warspite, Rodney, and Nelson at port at South Mole, Gibraltar Harbor - 1933

Same location today

mirth

QuoteHMS Hood at John Brown and Co. Shipyard, 1919-1920.