FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO! (Complete)

Started by JasonPratt, September 01, 2017, 08:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

US-Rich does something clever that makes the episode shorter than it otherwise would be!

Also, my faction's theme song.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

NVA-Dave gets tired of watching VC-Larry slowly defeat Team South by himself; and Team South gets tired of the NVA having any points at all.

This creates a certain amount of tension. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

...wait, am I still doing this series? I am?! Well, where are we now!?

Time for COUP TWO, NGUYEN KHANALOO!

JasonPratt

Forward progress over onto the downslope of our game, and Team South's prospects have never looked quite so shining!

(...as long as you ignore VC-Larry's ace play and the giant red wave of doom looming over there...)

JasonPratt

Poor ArizonaTank continues being just murdered as the Viet Cong, while Team South edges closer to ultimate victory...

...and NVA-Dave cooly profits from the war.

JasonPratt

Episode 12 of 18 -- the North Vietnamese watch as their Viet Cong puppets (I MEAN ALLIES!) struggle to recover against the search-and-destroy teamwork of the South Vietnamese and their American dupes (I MEAN ALLIES!   \m/ )

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Update: I've been working on a Grand Finale episode for several weeks, going out through the end of our game; but when I sat down for final editing today (I hoped), I discovered that no less than 4/5ths of my video had been corrupted somehow. And when I bit the bullet to fire up TTS and Shadowplay to re-record the video, I realized I had erased many of my specific gamenotes about what specific moves I and the other players were making (because for the grand finale I figured I could skip narrating a lot of them, not needing to explain many mechanics now).  :pullhair: L:-) :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair: #:-)

The Vassal logfiles still exist, so I can recreate the plays -- and try to adjust for the errors we corrected along the way (not counting a few errors we never caught, which I've still got to mention as such so that viewers will know why I'm including erroneous play). But dang that's going to take more time and effort than I feel like putting back into my work, today anyway.

At best, this is going to massively delay the grand finale some more. And I might just decide to skip trying to produce it altogether, because I'd rather be making and playing other things.

If you want to know which team won and how, I'll include it as a spoiler below.

[spoiler]Starting on Turn Twenty-Seven (a few turns from the end of Episode 12), NVA-Dave, having built up his Trail value to 4, which allows him to freely move as many of his units as he wants on, across, and off the Trail for nothing (and having built his cash up to something like 124 equivalent ARVN cash, where I'm limited by the game to 75!), finally leaned over and spat his massive tidal wave of Troops, with some specs, into South Vietnam. At about the same time, his teammate VC-Larry, having spent most of his cash reforging his specs after US-Rich and I kept blasting them off the board, launched the Tet Offensive. This didn't accomplish a whole lot, and it crippled them from using their now-activated specs for a while, but it started pushing Dave's NVA score up steadily.

After a while, I had to just give up trying to do anything in the north of South Nam, and try to staunch the bleeding in the south around Saigon; and Rich's US Troops kept being blown progressively off the board. A little too late I chose to Vietnamize, bringing all the rest of my pieces into Available from Out of Play, but I didn't have time to vomit them onto the board. VC-Larry finally did what I had been worried he would do since the start of the game, and marched a ton of specs into Saigon from those long low-pop provinces to the northeast, taking away my score there and distracting us enough -- with Rich needing to throw an air strike on the city, dropping his own score in the process -- that NVA Dave could march troops into the city.

With the Coup finally arriving at almost the last possible moment, we managed to nerf Dave down to 18 points, below his goalpost, and with the Monsoon preventing Marching I thought I was safe to Vietnamize, since I didn't see how Dave could score one more point before the coup. But Dave managed to do so by Rallying troops various ways across the board to take control of that northernmost mountain province between Laos and Hue (on the border with North Vietnam), and that put him over the goalpost. Team North only needed one player past the post to win, and we had no play, and Larry sure wasn't going to do anything to mess with the score, so Team North won at the third Coup.

We didn't remember at the time that Team North only needed one player past the post to win, so we all continued the game through the 4th coup until the 5th coup, where once again Dave got the NVA past the goalpost, and we remembered then that only one of them had to win for their team to win. Whereupon, I suddenly recalled he had been there before at the 3rd coup, and went back to verify. So I didn't film and narrate those turns out to the 5th coup during the replay: only up to the point where Dave and Larry won in the 3rd Coup.

This was a MASSIVE win for Team North, even though Dave was only barely past the goalpost and Larry had been punched back a lot. Dave, the total COIN-game newbie, had at one point been nuked back to literally one point of score, with only one base remaining on the board and almost no forces. And from there he managed through careful logistic gameplay, to come back from only one point to win it all for his team while Larry ran interference in-country, keeping our united Team South from winning practically by himself.

I badly wanted to show this, for Dave and Larry's sake -- I kept preparing for it dramatically in my replays, so that the audience could appreciate the scale of their win. And I may get around to doing it eventually. I was livid when I discovered my videos had been corrupted and that I had dumbly erased key parts of my written log rather than archiving them somewhere in case of an accident!

But in case I never do, here's the spoiler end of the story.  O:-) All hail Dave and Larry for their brilliant come-from-behind victory!
[/spoiler]

Iconoclast

Well,  thank you for doing this. I enjoyed the Videos immensely and perfectly understand that at some point cost-benefit is just not cutting it.

If you ever decide to do the Vid, I will be watching, if you don't thank you anyway. It really increased my intrigue with the COIN series, although I am currently eying the Next war  :-\

Cheers
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

JasonPratt

Over 120 days later.... THE PROMISED TIME IS COMING!

<:-) <:-)

Thanks to hunting up a technical fix for my corrupted video files, I've spent the past few weeks (mostly on weekends) editing five and a half hours of audio and video into a 36 minute grand finale after-action report of our match.

All that remains is to upload it, which based on past experience will need 8x36 = 288 minutes. Which means I'll have to start it tomorrow morning before I leave for work, since I have things I want to do tonight, and I can't sleep well with THE PRESENCE whirring its cooling fans in the background (even though it's relatively quiet for a monster computing tower).

Iconoclast

Thank you, I am waiting with anticipation
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

JasonPratt

SO IT ENDS!

airboy

Ouch!  You almost knocked the NVA out of the war - yet let them come back for a Red Victory.  I'm guessing the excuses for this will go on for decades.