Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

A pre-attack prayer from the Ukrainians. These are the Cossacks after all.

This morning, the Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Valeriy Zaluzhny wrote on Telegram, "The time has come to take back what's ours."   

The message included this video prayer.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^That was heavy. God help them all.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Historian and author David Glantz on Bakhmut. An interesting little interview, also on how terrible of a tank country Donbass can be.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

FarAway Sooner

Interesting commentary by Glantz, Crossroads!  He suggests that the primary value of Bakhmut is how easy it is to defend--which creates an interesting Catch-22 for a would-be attacker.  Do you neglect it and leave an intact enemy position on your flank as you advance elsewhere, or do you attack it in hopes of reducing it by charging straight into the teeth of the enemy?

It's also interesting that he says it's poor tank country.  We'd heard that it makes for excellent defensive territory, but I'd not heard a specific mention of the anti-armor role that the terrain plays.

At this point, it's a little unclear to me whether the Russians or the Ukrainians have more advantages in terrain that's open to maneuver.  Defense thrives in terrain less open for maneuver, so I suspect that means that the Russians want to hold as much of Bakhmut as they can to prepare for a Uke counteroffensive.

But, as Glantz clearly acknowledges, none of us can really know what the future holds.

GDS_Starfury

most of the ground to the west is higher.  so if the russians want to push out... lol have fun with that.  imo the city can be left alone while Ukrainian resources are used elsewhere to better effect.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

About 15 seconds into the Glantz video there's a tank with Balkenkreuzen on it. Is there some non-WW2 German provenance to the symbol that would see it pop up on a video of a modern tank?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 28, 2023, 08:44:28 PMAbout 15 seconds into the Glantz video there's a tank with Balkenkreuzen on it. Is there some non-WW2 German provenance to the symbol that would see it pop up on a video of a modern tank?

I think that's just the UAF's standard "equilateral cross" marking broken up by the ERA on the tank. 

They've been using the Cossack Cross as their main Friendly Fire marking for a while.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

W8taminute

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 28, 2023, 08:44:28 PMAbout 15 seconds into the Glantz video there's a tank with Balkenkreuzen on it. Is there some non-WW2 German provenance to the symbol that would see it pop up on a video of a modern tank?

I've been asking this since day one.  I've seen videos of other questionable symbols being used on uniforms and vehicles as well but I don't want to give any more details so as to avoid offending anyone. 

But you can google hateful symbols and Ukraine war and see what comes up.  There are even some TikTok clips of the good guys giving a salute that would normally be considered offensive. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GDS_Starfury

I like to think that its Ukrainian trolling but whatever.
this looks like someone wants to cross a river somewhere.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1662795625409175552

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 27, 2023, 07:32:34 PMso let me get this right.
iran sells drones to russia.
the taliban hate russia.
so the taliban are attacking iran in retaliation.
sounds good.

3D chess courtesy of whoever has the Afghanistan file
  • Iran gets poked/distracted
  • Afghanistan consumes/loses some of their spoils of war supplies
  • two states that are not friendly to western interests are agrily  bumping military uglies

was there a nudged to make this happen? Likely IMO
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

ArizonaTank

Back in the old Soviet Days, the Red Army had a real strength in its Electronic Warfare (EW) capability.

So I wondered where that had gone when in the first six to nine months of the war, the Russians seemed to really suck at it. Had it atrophied? Been cut? or was it just dormant?

Well, it seems like Russian EW capability is back (maybe). This is somewhat old news, but Russian EW (GPS jamming in particular) may be having some effect on JDAM and HIMARs accuracy.

An interesting discussion along those lines:

A similar EW related story tells how Russian EW capabilities have pretty much hobbled the Turkish Bayraktar UAVs. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/turkeys-bayraktar-tb2-drones-ineffective-ukraine-war-2023-5

Hard to tell how much of this reporting is accurate, but the overall gist is probably right. The Russians may be slow, and often stupid, but they can adapt and learn over time. EW is an area where they may have found their footing.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Windigo on May 29, 2023, 09:58:33 AM
the taliban hate russia.
sounds good.

• two states that are not friendly to western interests are agrily  bumping military uglies

seems to be mostly over water rights.  have to dig more for links.

Gusington

Meanwhile, in Kosovo, NATO peacekeepers from Italy and Hungary, playing the role of riot police, come under attack from Serbs.

I am sure that Russia has nothing to do with this.

Absolutely not.

Yeah.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65748024

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 29, 2023, 02:42:30 PM
Quote from: Windigo on May 29, 2023, 09:58:33 AM
the taliban hate russia.
sounds good.

seems to be mostly over water rights.  have to dig more for links.

water is worth fighting over... always
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.