Vietnam...with MECHS!!!!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 09, 2023, 11:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Hell's yeah!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1561740/Kriegsfront_Tactics/

QuoteKriegsfront Tactics is a procedural turn-based mecha squad tactics game for military sim fans where we combine elements from classic tactical strategy games, roguelikes, and lowpoly retro-style visuals.

Set in alternate 1970s during an era of conflict in Southeast Asia, you'll play as a commander of a mecha squad sent behind enemy lines. Manage your squad, resources, and mechs. Complete missions, and survive the front another day, while facing hard decisions that will test your morality.

Features

- Customize Your Mechs - Customize your mech's livery, salvage or swap parts, and equip weapons.
- Recruit Pilots and Build Your Squad - Meet interesting characters and recruit them to join your cause.
- Each character with their own skills, traits, and stories.
- Survive 1970s Southeast Asian Jungle - Explore the jungles of Southeast Asia during an era of conflict, encounter events, and uncover secrets in this alternate 1970s world.
- Execute Tactical Mecha Operations - Plan ahead, strategize, and use your tactical prowess to outsmart your enemies.
- Metal Crunching Cinematic Combat - Watch the mayhem and destruction unfold, metal against metal

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

Dammit Carl!

fran

The commentating on the youtube clip  :HideEyes:

FarAway Sooner

I'd love a video game styled after the movie Tropic Thunder, but with Mechs. 

Only if Robert Downey, Jr. did at least some of the voice acting though.

Gusington

'Nerd Castle'...awesome  :cool:

This game clearly had a lot of imagination poured into it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Didn't a Mobile Suit Gundam series set itself in SE Asia during the One-Year War? At any rate, it looks interesting. Is this related to Maschinen Krieger?

Slightly OT- Why hasn't there been any adaptation of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers?
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2023, 08:36:16 PM'Nerd Castle'...awesome  :cool:

This game clearly had a lot of imagination poured into it.

Yeah that guy is really good at demo'ing independently created game titles.  The Nerd Castle is my new go to for finding out if I'll like a game or not.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Groggy

This game reminds me alot of Front Mission from Square Enix which still holds up as a favorite classic turn based strategy mech game.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

W8taminute

Quote from: Groggy on March 10, 2023, 09:03:22 AMThis game reminds me alot of Front Mission from Square Enix which still holds up as a favorite classic turn based strategy mech game.

I noticed that too after watching the video.  This on is on my watchlist/wishlist for sure!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Groggy on March 10, 2023, 09:03:22 AMThis game reminds me alot of Front Mission from Square Enix which still holds up as a favorite classic turn based strategy mech game.

People are describing it in the forums as the "second coming" of the classic Front Mission.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Quote from: CJReich46 on March 09, 2023, 10:24:23 PMDidn't a Mobile Suit Gundam series set itself in SE Asia during the One-Year War?

I came here SPECIFICALLY to make a joke that, at long last, Koei decided to make a 08th MST Gundam game!

For a good description of the miniseries, go here.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Anime/MobileSuitGundamThe08thMSTeam

Note that I renounce all responsibility for anyone losing hours or days of time hunting through the TVTrope site looking up awesome things you discover along the way...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

I still want a coop mech commander 2 remake.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: CJReich46 on March 09, 2023, 10:24:23 PMSlightly OT- Why hasn't there been any adaptation of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers?

I wonder if the IP was too expensive and then the opportunity passed? 

I'm not sure how well those books have aged, but I'm also not sure that there was anything particularly remarkable about the good guys or the bad guys in those books.  Not that they weren't enjoyable sometimes, but WH40K, Star Wars, and other series have done a better job distinguishing their factions, I think.

I've actually been a little more surprised that nobody has ever turned any of the Honor Harrington books into a movie, a TV show, or a computer game.  Weber's story arcs don't always lend themselves to cinema, but I'd buy $12 popcorn and a $9 Coke to sit in a movie theater and watch On Basilisk Station.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on March 10, 2023, 07:02:31 PMI still want a coop mech commander 2 remake.

I kind of gathered that the recent Battletech game was effectively an updated Mech Commander system...? 3D turn based Battletech mech squad management and battles?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/

Admittedly it isn't co-op, although it has competitive multiplayer (including hotseat apparently).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!