Consolidated Running Online Privacy/Social Media Issues thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 25, 2018, 02:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

So I'm wondering around the FB data I downloaded from my profile and I scroll to the bottom of the "photos" page and find this....

Facial Recognition Data

Threshold 1

Threshold 2

Threshold 3

Example Count

Raw Data
FqSO048KGIAETLQAMHk1LDIarv838zUMtGO6SrV3LAy0OqTtslWxHzf6KZa5dzhxGR6yJKy8qrsyjK6suf8tNSsSNo-wtrDiKpIxOrFaK601Wa87sZgyVjXsLdAx-TLcsS43_KUwNqooQ68oOqw0YzZFLEq4y7iQm9O1dizdr_Ozjq4DNKWsHywOujstmDkzrIo00TCuMfM14rVGMbs3ZTXcHhS4HDU6rCW3x641L_E4I7d3M_0wxrKMKre0MDFPLs22drMSsLG08bJVuNuyeLMLLOSpzzgHuQAuPjXnqNUyVjC_sA4v37QBtgmh5TFbM58znjarKgO1czLZs3UuKzXUuEA3iLReNRIwaCxQMIG25hchtL2syzT6sLWyzzhYtY42ZiwUtIUxXrBtsJY13jDsMioxcavks7I0VbjYrcY257HjNF-1VzVTt6StRrirs8k38TUqOB-smbdvLVioSCb8NLyrXjYcMfKzLC1EKUk0ozQlL0uy9DYNtPQ1IjAXNkGtwhhqMOE18rStMSm2N6o2uIu6eabkszszA7FOp-W0mDUgMcSx1rGNsuIvNLQLNR61ALI5Mliz1TjBNDcwUbEIM6ip_Ss7tKewbDWgr0SwAKwAsgwzqLeNLQIqJrYzMXGnrS00s7KwJ7kkKH-wqLIoONagGzsluO2vQKTXMAI2_KzxrA40CSgdwA8IxBdAC3ICgAAAABdACYcbAAAAABc_-saYgAAAABVMFacRHcARdjwdPsaW-hn9FECXT_BAj8t1QITvnEB9oAdAcqeCQG72wUBmjv9AYM0NQF9nx0BbkBRAVw1JQFNBbkBQZ3tATjiaQEw42EA-daJANZ8mQC8XKUApqr5AGQ9eNQAIyAEHZGYzLWYxNgA

I am not amused...
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

^That's probably part of how FB locates you in other peoples' pix. Now Boris Badenov can too...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Facebook built a business model on the old adage that "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people" and the American people handsomely rewarded Facebook's faith in them.
And now, the American public, having been taken for the suckers they are, are mad at Facebook, instead of being mad at themselves for falling for it.
{sarcasm}Clearly the solution lies in an external force (gov't? industry standards? internet censors?) protecting the American public from their own idiocy instead of the American public putting in the intellectually-focused brain-sweat to make themselves smarter and less susceptible to emotional appeals to their basest instincts {/sarcasm}
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo

I always wonder how people think a company can run a service like this for free.  Do they think some billionaire philanthropist is doing it out of pure generosity and making nothing off it?  Obviously they're going to resell user data, it's the only way they can possibly make a profit.

mirth

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth