Main Menu

Ratten Reich

Started by Jarhead0331, October 07, 2021, 08:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Some cool features, but why rats? Stupid decision in my opinion. If you're going to go for some semblance of realism, just do it and don't spoil a serious topic by making the troops cute little animals.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

I guess "Mice of War" was too on-the-nose?  But yeah, the combination of "gritty realism" and anthropomorphic animals is baffling to say the least.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Maybe they are trying to draw kids into wargaming using cute fluffy animals?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on October 08, 2021, 07:17:05 AM
Maybe they are trying to draw kids into wargaming using cute fluffy animals?

With dismemberment, destruction and gore?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tripoli

Maybe they are trying to plug into some of the "Maus" audience?  https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maus-Art-Spiegelman/dp/0679406417  Just a thought.  However, if this is what they were thinking, I'm not sure it is going to work.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Phantom

Maybe someone will do a human mod.

al_infierno

Quote from: Tripoli on October 08, 2021, 12:04:11 PM
Maybe they are trying to plug into some of the "Maus" audience?  https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maus-Art-Spiegelman/dp/0679406417  Just a thought.  However, if this is what they were thinking, I'm not sure it is going to work.

This idea somehow makes the game concept even more bizarre.  What next, a Diary of Anne Frank video game?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

I suspect that they have gone with rodents because the theme is more in line with the "friendly" nature of their catalog. The developer/publisher is Crytivo, and their games tend to be bright, colorful, and "fluffy", if you will. They probably did not want to depart too greatly from this underlying theme or philosophy of development, while still tackling material that is as fundamentally serious as killing in war. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

and none of you are bothered by the mouse babe at the end?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 13, 2021, 11:02:41 PM

That did strike me as very disturbing, and it appears in the thumbnail as well  ???

- MengJiao

Wburn

Quote from: al_infierno on October 13, 2021, 11:26:48 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 13, 2021, 11:02:41 PM

That did strike me as very disturbing, and it appears in the thumbnail as well  ???

I thought she was a real cheeseball. 8)

Silent Disapproval Robot

This trend of making deeper games with annoying, cutesy animals seems to be a bit of a theme in the gaming community lately.  I blame ROOT.  It's a wildly popular boardgame that I personally really, really don't care for.  It's spawning a fair number of clones both in the video and boardgaming communities.  There's also that Armello PC game.

It's either that or there are way more furries out there than I'm comfortable with.

al_infierno

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 14, 2021, 07:32:53 PM
This trend of making deeper games with annoying, cutesy animals seems to be a bit of a theme in the gaming community lately.  I blame ROOT.  It's a wildly popular boardgame that I personally really, really don't care for.  It's spawning a fair number of clones both in the video and boardgaming communities.  There's also that Armello PC game.

It's either that or there are way more furries out there than I'm comfortable with.

Lol.  I agree with your assessment that ROOT is likely the root of the issue  :))

- MengJiao

Sigwolf

Everything about this, from the fact that someone would even come up with it, to the obvious amount of time they've spent developing it... just baffles me.  How does something this bizarre make it past the planning stage?   :wow:

GDS_Starfury

you evidently have no experience with Japanese animation.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.